General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Houston Half - First Race Ever - 6004th Place!!

Started by Les Stewart · · Last activity · 11 posts · 318 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 January 2005
Last activity
21 January 2005
Original author
Les Stewart
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
318
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow I
    quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)

    So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    steps.... scary!

    In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.

    Then a mile, then 2 miles......

    Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever.... the
    Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75% and
    walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no injuries.

    A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.

    Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.

    Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :-)
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  2. "Les Stewart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow
    I
    quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)

    So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    steps.... scary!

    In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.

    Then a mile, then 2 miles......

    Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever....
    the
    Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75%
    and
    walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no
    injuries.

    A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.

    Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.

    Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :-)

    Well done Les! Congrats on your 1st race and the lifestyle change.
    Good luck with future running and racing.

    Anthony.

  3. "Anthony" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    :
    : "Les Stewart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    : news:[email hidden]...
    : >
    : > 5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater.
    Somehow
    : > I
    : > quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)
    : >
    : > So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    : > misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    : > steps.... scary!
    : >
    : > In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    : > occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.
    : >
    : > Then a mile, then 2 miles......
    : >
    : > Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever....
    : > the
    : > Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6
    minutes
    : > (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75%
    : > and
    : > walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no
    : > injuries.
    : >
    : > A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.
    : >
    : > Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a
    little.
    : >
    : > Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :-)
    :
    : Well done Les! Congrats on your 1st race and the lifestyle change.
    : Good luck with future running and racing.
    :
    : Anthony.
    :
    :
    Congratulations! I love your positive, upbeat style. You're right- it
    doesn't matter what place you came in. You've had a radical lifestyle
    change for the better.

    I'm from Houston originally and almost chose the Houston marathon to run.
    Signed-up for one in Tampa instead. Glad to hear that you liked it. Maybe
    I'll run it next year. Again, congrats!!!

  4. "Anthony" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:

    Well done Les! Congrats on your 1st race and the lifestyle change.
    Good luck with future running and racing.

    Anthony.

    Thanks for the kind words.
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  5. "bikeme" <[email hidden]> wrote > :

    Quoted message said:

    Congratulations! I love your positive, upbeat style. You're right- it
    doesn't matter what place you came in. You've had a radical lifestyle
    change for the better.

    I'm from Houston originally and almost chose the Houston marathon to run.
    Signed-up for one in Tampa instead. Glad to hear that you liked it.
    Maybe
    I'll run it next year. Again, congrats!!!

    Thanks and good luck to you!
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  6. Big Congrats Les, not only on the race but on successfully changing
    your lifestyle. Brag away, you've earned it!

    Teresa in AZ

    Les Stewart said:

    5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow I
    quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)

    In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.
    Then a mile, then 2 miles......

    Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever.... the
    Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75% and
    walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no injuries.

    A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.

    Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.

    Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :-)

  7. "Teresa Bippert-Plymate" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Big Congrats Les, not only on the race but on successfully changing
    your lifestyle. Brag away, you've earned it!

    Teresa in AZ

    Thankyathankyavermuch..... I have to laugh at myself....... bragging about
    6004th place!!
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  8. Congratulations on this big achievement! Waddle on is my motto.
    Susan

    Les Stewart said:


    5 years ago I was a sedentary 3-4 pack a day serious couch tater. Somehow I
    quit smoking (good!) and gained 50 pounds (bad!)

    So I started walking. I can still remember the first few weeks....
    misery.... aches..... shin splints..... then one day I jogged about 10
    steps.... scary!

    In 2 years, I lost 40 pounds and AMAZINGLY could walk 5 miles and
    occasionally run a whole lap at the local track.

    Then a mile, then 2 miles......

    Two years later at age 52 I entered and finished my first race ever.... the
    Houston Half Marathon. While I didn't quite win..... 3 hours and 6 minutes
    (soooo close!) (My PR?)..... I did manage to run (slooooowly) about 75% and
    walked the rest and was happy to finish tired and sore but with no injuries.

    A lot of that was due to what I have read in R.R. in the last year.

    Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, and for letting me brag a little.

    Those 732 people behind me........ now THEY were pitiful.... :-)
    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  9. Quoted message said:

    You're right- it
    doesn't matter what place you came in.

    L-O-S-E-R!

  10. "susan" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Congratulations on this big achievement! Waddle on is my motto.
    Susan

    <In my best southern accent> Why, thank you ma'am! A'waddllin' I will go....

    --
    Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  11. "Les Stewart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    :
    : "susan" wrote
    :
    : > Congratulations on this big achievement! Waddle on is my motto.
    : > Susan
    :
    : <In my best southern accent> Why, thank you ma'am! A'waddllin' I will
    go....
    :
    : --
    : Les <SlowFoot> Stewart
    : Beaumont, TX

    The Waddle On reference is to John Bingham, the Penguin- one of his mottos
    is, "No need for speed." "Waddle on" is also his.
    http://www.waddleon.com/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.