-L. said:Did I spell that right? I need suggestions for easy and yummy, and
possibly festive (?). Has to be easily made with a little one
underfoot! It could be a hot one, or not - I only need to take it
nextdoor - but probably needs to be one that tastes ok if not piping
hot. I will google but I thought maybe some of you have encountered
something special recently, since the Holiday season is upon us.
Thanks!
-L.
I made stuffed crescent rolls for a party a few months ago. I had a recipe
somewhere for a cream cheese pastry dough, but in the few days before the
party I was running out of time (40 people attending, 3 from out of state, one
from out of the country and I was running to the airport over and over) so I
decided 'what the hell' and just bought many cans of crescent rolls and used
those.
I apologize for no measurements, I never write these things down when I make
them so I never remember. I just wing it anyway.
spinach and feta filling
thaw frozen spinach, mix in crumbled feta (I'm a huge huge fan of egyptian
feta, sometimes called double cream feta), chopped garlic and dill
curried veggie
chop veggies into little pieces (this is important, big chunks of anything
won't work), I used green beans, snow peas, carrots, broccoli, red bell
pepper, green onion, jalapeno. Heat a little oil, add about 1/4 tsp brown
mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and heat til they pop, add veggies,
throw in garam masala (or your favorite curry powder) and cook veggies until
bright. I added about a tablespoon of water and covered the pan for about a
minute or two
artichoke and ricotta
Trader Joe's makes this artichoke paste something or other in a jar (I don't
have any more so I'm not very helpful with the name, sorry), I mixed that with
equal amounts of ricotta, added lemon zest, salt, pepper, and penzey's greek
seasoning. I let it sit in the fridge and then added some bread crumbs to
thicken it up.
Take your crescent rolls and cut each one in half starting at the long end
point (you know, so you have two long, thing triangles). Add your filling,
roll, bake according to the instructions on the tube.
I felt kind of lame for using the crescent rolls for such a nice occasion, but
they really helped in a pinch and people loved them.
--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com