Horns/Bells/noisemakers

Aussie Steve said:
go to your local bike shop and ask for an AirZound3 from the UK.
Had a nosey and found one. Thanks a heap for that - i dont use my water holder anyway (in favour of a pack on my back).
I often get idiots pulling out or turning in front of me thinking "oh well a bike can stop easier" or maybe its the "well it wont damage my car much being a bike..." and of course "dont have to give way because its not a car".

Aussie Steve said:
go to your local bike shop and ask for an AirZound3 from the UK. When you consider how we spend $90+ on a new cluster when that wears out, and between $40-$120 on each tyre when they wear out...I reckon $70 for safety and peace of mind for the horn is GR8 value.
The other day a middle-aged female driver waiting to come out of a side street- I am about 1 second away from her and she has made a move to take off, so I hit the horn and she reconsiders...she didn't understand that "give way" means just that, she probably thought I would stop for her. These Perth people are a different breed- simple-minded country bumpkins...
Is this the sucker?
http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod1237.htm

$45 and from experience deanwoods ship out quickly as well.

the link for Dean Woods shows the Airzound...and at half the price I paid for it in my LBS !!!
it really gives you a bit more confidence... look, it's not about being rude and selfish, :mad: if walkers are on a shared path they need to avoid taking up the entire width...:confused:
And cars coming out of side streets sometimes need a reminder that WE are vehicles as well.:eek: Look, the majority of motorists are not nasty, there is only a tiny number of @rseholes, but a lot of them are just ignorant & lack understanding, especially when they just want to get home, or from A to B in a short time and they forget to share the road. Add to this 2 screaming kids in the back seat, or another car tailgating them...they may have a few distractions like this so we just need them to give us a fair go. I never give them a big blast, just a short polite toot (also it conserves the air in the bottle) and it is damned loud, trust me.
P.S. I noticed one time that I lost the volume, I pulled the horn apart and found a hole in the thin aluminium foil disc which produces the sound. Probably some sand or grit in the pump head, found its way into the bottle, and when I used the horn it shot out like sand out of a sandblaster. So I stuck a small piece of duct tape over the hole. Good as new.;)

I commute to Melbourne CBD via the Gardiners' Creek and Yarra tracks, and I find a two-tone whistle (not wolf-style) about 20m back gets good results, if not a "passing on your right" up close will work. Not 100% because many people are committed to destroying their hearing with iPods etc, but good enough so it's not a big problem.

And of course while it can be irritating, they are shared paths.......... but probably no more or less irritating than the macho-boys who fly past close by unannounced and frighten the **** out of even gnarled riders like me.