Cycle-cops and bike bells

"Ritch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>>
> [snip]
>> Here's something to try. Profile Design make a thing
>> called a Universal Computer Mount (they're about $20 in
>> Oz; I got 2 for $5 each at a Rebel sale, heheh).
>>
>> http://www.profile-
>> design.com/product_pages/acc_computermount.html
>>
> [snip again]
>
> $20 for that? A cunningly cropped shampoo lid and a cable
> tie (colour-matched, of course) does a pretty good job...
> though 2 for five bucks is a pretty good deal!

Five bucks each. :-(

Actually, they're very useful.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:04:22 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

>> PS. If you get caught, you can always try saying there is
>> already a Bell on your bike...
>>

> But what to do if they ask me to ring it?

Put your thumb down to an empty space on the handlebars
push the imaginary ringer twice with your thumb and say
'ding-ding'.

The for an encore you could say: 'I've got one for fog too!'
Push a different imaginary button and shout 'HOOOOMMMMMMM'

-kt

John Tserkezis wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Can you suggest any searchable or downloadablee websites
>> in Australia for road laws?
>

> Google for "australian road rules", take the first hit:
>
> <http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/roa-
> draustr_dl1.html>

Thanks. I didn't even know the "australian road rules"
existed. Though they don't apply here in WA. But we are
supposed to be "harmonising", I think.

Mike wrote:

> Thanks. I didn't even know the "australian road rules"
> existed. Though they don't apply here in WA. But we are
> supposed to be "harmonising", I think.

That's right, the RTA here has been leading us to believe
that the whole country is moving to common road rules and
laws, though they did not mention a time frame.

At this stage, I think the differences are little more
than pedantic. The more stark differences you're likely to
see are the _exact_ laws that are policed in one state,
that are left somewhat lax in another. Even then it still
appears to come down to the person 'policing' the law at
that particular point in time.

Whatever makes the money I suppose.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

"John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I didn't even know the "australian road rules"
>> existed. Though they don't apply here in WA. But we are
>> supposed to be "harmonising", I think.
>
> That's right, the RTA here has been leading us to
> believe that the whole country is moving to common road
> rules and laws, though they did not mention a time
> frame.

Every state has committed to the ARR. That doesn't mean
every state has implemented them.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Originally posted by Drs
, though they did not mention a time
> frame.

Every state has committed to the ARR. That doesn't mean
every state has implemented them.

did someone say Kyoto?

(back on topic) part of the problem is that shops rarely sell decent bells.

Hippy, would you consider a bar end bell ? no loss of real estate.

http://www.mirrycle.com/

---

As for airhorns being fun, whenever I test mine I think "that didn't hurt my ears ???".
So I have a thumbell on the rear of my stem.

>Originally posted by aeek
>(back on topic) part of the problem is that shops rarely sell >decent bells.
>Hippy, would you consider a bar end bell ? no loss of real
>estate.

Unfortunately I don't run barends any more..

I have been commuting in peak hour, 2hrs, most days for
3+ years and I've never even thought of using a bell.
Car drivers don't hear them. If I'm passing another rider I
usually ride past with a "g'day". If a ped decides to step
onto the highway in front of me, it's a case of avoid and/or
yell - but this is only a rare occurence.

hippy
- evil law breaker, now can i start running red lights? :p

Originally posted by hippy
I have been commuting in peak hour, 2hrs, most days for
3+ years and I've never even thought of using a bell.

I wasn't suggesting that you use a bell, just to be stupidly legal. Would mounting a bell on the seatpost satisfy the law/cops ?

hippy
- evil law breaker, now can i start running red lights?

That's why we need such laws, so people break them and it makes it so much easier to then break more reasonable laws.

>Originally posted by aeek
>I wasn't suggesting that you use a bell, just to be stupidly legal. >Would mounting a bell on the seatpost satisfy the law/cops ?

hehe.. now you're talkin' ;)

I think if I'm in a situation that could use a bell.. it'd be better for
both of us if my hands were on the brakes!

>That's why we need such laws, so people break them and it >makes it so much easier to then break more reasonable laws.

Is that a 'yes'? ;-)

hippy
- Still hasn't ridden since friday, save for a pissweak mag trainer
session last night while watching American Flyers...

hippy <[email protected]> writes:

[...]

> I have been commuting in peak hour, 2hrs, most days for 3+
> years and I've never even thought of using a bell.

I find them to be usefull on shared paths.

The oddest exprence I've had with my bell was when taking my
bike out threw the gates at refern station. I waved my
ticket at the inspector, he opened the gates, then said
"Hold on a sec" reached over rang my bell and then said
"Thanks" and waved me on.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find
out more. Free the Memes.

>Originally posted by ? The Platypus
>>hippy <[email protected]> writes:
>> I have been commuting in peak hour, 2hrs, most days for 3+
>> years and I've never even thought of using a bell.
>
>I find them to be usefull on shared paths.

I agree that they are useful on these and other pedestrian-dense
locations and if I used paths I would fit one. Do they make bells
that can chime out "la cu ca racha"? ;-) Can I get some neon to
go with that? Will it pulse with the beat from my 'system'?

>ticket at the inspector, he opened the gates, then said
>"Hold on a sec" reached over rang my bell and then said
>"Thanks" and waved me on.

haha.. interesting! Maybe he had a bell fetish?

hippy
- does not own bell-bottoms