rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

"Hopping idle" and other milestones

Started by steveyo · · Last activity · 9 posts · 322 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
24 September 2005
Last activity
28 September 2005
Original author
steveyo
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
322
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Amazing that this sport, so incredibly fun, keeps getting more so.

    I'm a pretty old guy with about 14 months experience. Can't idle more
    than 4 or 5 cycles. Since a got my 20", I've begun to really work on
    hopping. I'm a slow learner, but I became able to hop curbs -
    occaisionally.

    Today however, I found I could just freemount to a stillstand with
    pedals horizontal, and hop to correct my balance. I never could pogo
    stick too well, but I've almost got it on the uni now. I did this and
    stayed up fo 20 seconds a couple times. It's feels great to have some
    way to idle, at least sort of.

    Also, I can hop up and down curbs, and even once got to the top of the
    12" high box, but didn't ride out of it.

    Fun fun fun.

    --
    steveyo - Last will be first

    steveyo

    "I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
    unknown

    "Do whatever steps you want if
    you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  2. I learned to pogo stick too, it made hopping become REALLY easy.

    --
    unick 8133 - tartar sauce

    HOLY CRABBY PATTIES!!

    I am proud to be a whole 13 years old

    My (few) mastered skillz:

    1. forward
    2. backward
    3. idle

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unick 8133's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10398
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504


  3. Quoted message said:


    *Are front hops harder than side-hop (which are mostly what I do)?
    *

    Yes, front hops are harder then side-hops, but doing something called a
    rolling hop will make those nasty front hops a lot easier. A rolling hop
    is basically what it says it is. A hop, while rolling. This has the
    advantage of already having forward momentum, so you only have to hop
    up. Anyway, jumping onto large objects is usually done with a side hop,
    but really large objects, up to about a meter high, are done with a
    rolling hop. (Don't ask me how they do it, I'm still baffled by it).
    Also, there are several techniques to get onto even higher stuff with a
    sidehop, look on the forum for 'crankgrab' and 'pedalgrab'.

    Quoted message said:


    *
    Should my uni have a lower seat for trials type stuff?
    *

    That depends on what kind of trials type you are. There are two ways of
    jumping. Seat-in, and seat-out. In seat-out, you jump (logically) with
    the seat in front of you. This allows you to tuck the unicycle far
    higher under you, and pull the seat up to almost under your chin.
    Seat-in is the opposite of seat-out, and you just leave the seat under
    you. This has the disadvantage of not being able to pull the seat up so
    high, because the crown jewels are blocking the way. Now, for both
    methods, you'll be wanting the seat lower, this is due to the fact
    you'll always want some travel down there. But if you're mainly a
    seat-in jumper, you want the seat even lower, so you can pull the
    unicycle up higher. For seat-out, you'll want it so that when you're
    hopping, you don't put a lot of strain on your back. Though it usually
    comes down to personal preference. My brother is a seat-in jumper, and
    he only has his seat about an inch lower then I do, and I'm a seat-out
    jumper. We're also about equal height.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Erant - I know how to change this title!

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  4. Hey Steveyo, that sounds great.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, I can hop up and down curbs, and even once got to the top of the
    12" high box, but didn't ride out of it.

    I'm hoping to conquer this over the winter. At the moment I'm hopping
    about on the road but a bit afraid to make the leap up onto the
    pavemet.

    Any tips? I just have aweful images of the unicycle going flying and me
    landing in a heap on top or underneath it.

    I think I can probably hop high enough.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood - Lunicyclist

    A thought is just a thought.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  5. Thanks, Cath!

    I tried to learn to hop with no obstacles, then when I thought I had the
    height, I tried it next to a low curb.

    My first few times I tried I was wearing shin pads, wrist gaurds, elbow
    pads, and h*e*l*m*e*t (the asterisks are to throw off those
    anti-mandatory guys).

    Lower the seat a bit (note: I'm only hopping seat-in).

    Get your pedals level, stand up off the seat and make believe it's a
    platform and jump using your legs.

    --
    steveyo - Last will be first

    steveyo

    "I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
    unknown

    "Do whatever steps you want if
    you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  6. Thanks.
    I'm donning my 661s and by the end of the week I will be jumping at
    curbs.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood - Lunicyclist

    A thought is just a thought.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  7. Ah, the good old days. I remember when I was first hopping about, having
    the greatest difficulty with hopping onto the curb. Basically, just do
    it. It doesn't hurt when you fall, if you even fall. Because that's the
    easy thing with learning to bunny hop on a unicycle, there's lots of
    ways to get off before you hit something hard, like pavement.

    --
    Erant - I know how to change this title!

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  8. I could never pogo stick but after uniing it became very easy. I have
    one question, if you can only hop up curbs occasionaly, how can you hop
    up a 12 inch high box?

    --
    unign - Level 5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

  9. unign said:

    I could never pogo stick but after uniing it became very easy.


    I'll have to try pogo sticking now.
    unign wrote:I have one question, if you can only hop

    Quoted message said:

    up curbs occasionaly, how can you hop up a 12 inch high box?


    In the original post, I may have been unclear, but in the first
    paragraph "...I became able to hop curbs - occaisionally" was in the
    history portion of the post. This was meant to be followed by the
    recent accomplishment portion "Today however...<hopping breathroughs>
    ...I can hop up and down curbs, and even once got to the top of the 12"
    high box, but didn't ride out of it. "

    So that particular day was when I sort of "got it" and could do curbs,
    and tried the higher box.

    --
    steveyo - Last will be first

    steveyo

    "I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
    unknown

    "Do whatever steps you want if
    you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43504

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.