UK and Europe · Public discussion

Hooray, My Car Goes this Week!

Started by -Lsqnot Respond · · Last activity · 10 posts · 781 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 February 2004
Last activity
4 February 2004
Original author
-Lsqnot Respond
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
781
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It makes sense.

    A rough estimate puts cost of ownership at over 500UKP per month. In the last 5 years I have driven
    under 15K miles - and that includes a lot of paid for business miles. Two pounds a mile can't be far
    off the cost of a chauffeur!

    I've held on to cars in order to calm my wife's worry that I might need a one for 'emergencies'. As
    I won't be able to drive for a while I've siezed the initiative and it's going.

    Of course, I won't be cycling much either so the lucky beneficiaries from my misfortune will be the
    taxi firms and the bus company.

    I've not been on a bus for some years so it'll be quite an interesting experience. I've been playing
    with www.internet.xephos.com (bloody amazing PT journey planner) and am quite impressed at the
    daytime bus services.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [Not

    Responding said:

    I've not been on a bus for some years so it'll be quite an interesting experience. I've been
    playing with www.internet.xephos.com (bloody amazing PT journey planner) and am quite impressed at
    the daytime bus services.

    And once you are over 60 the bus travel is free - and the ferry if you live on the island! A friend
    of mine went from Fenwick to Oban by bus - had a pint - and came home! He was dischuffed at having
    to pay for the pint:-)

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village sandymillport.fsnet.co.uksandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  3. Congratulations! And with the money you save you can invest wisely for the
    future: ice.hpv.co.ukice.hpv.co.uk :-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

  4. "[Not Responding]" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It makes sense.

    A rough estimate puts cost of ownership at over 500UKP per month. In the last 5 years I have
    driven under 15K miles - and that includes a lot of paid for business miles. Two pounds a mile
    can't be far off the cost of a chauffeur!

    I've held on to cars in order to calm my wife's worry that I might need a one for 'emergencies'.
    As I won't be able to drive for a while I've siezed the initiative and it's going.

    Of course, I won't be cycling much either so the lucky beneficiaries from my misfortune will be
    the taxi firms and the bus company.

    I've not been on a bus for some years so it'll be quite an interesting experience. I've been
    playing with www.internet.xephos.com (bloody amazing PT journey planner) and am quite impressed at
    the daytime bus services.

    Well done!

    I have to say I havent missed my car ONCE in the few months Ive not had it! to be fair, the
    reduction in stress from not having a car is worth getting rid of it alone!!

  5. Not Responding said:

    It makes sense.

    A rough estimate puts cost of ownership at over 500UKP per month.

    What is it, a Ferrari?

    My last car was bought new and up until the time I sold it, it cost me (taps calculator) £198 per
    month including depreciation/interest/fuel/insurance/road tax/servicing.

    Still horrendous, but £500 should be a pretty impressive motor!

  6. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:02:43 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Not Responding said:

    It makes sense.

    A rough estimate puts cost of ownership at over 500UKP per month.

    What is it, a Ferrari?

    Not quite but it is a nice car - if you like that sort of thing.

    Quoted message said:

    My last car was bought new and up until the time I sold it, it cost me (taps calculator) £198 per
    month including depreciation/interest/fuel/insurance/road tax/servicing.

    Still horrendous, but £500 should be a pretty impressive motor!

    Cars are a ridiculously expensive way of getting around.

    Having re-read my original post I feel the need to clarify: while I may be a car-free *person* as of
    Wednesday, we will not be a car-free family. My wife, despite having been introduced to the concept
    of bicycles and having proved herself as a proficient stoker over distances up to and including 98.7
    miles, will never be car free. She mutters things like "school" (distance from home = 0.5 miles),
    "gym" (distance from home <= 0.75 miles) and "shopping".

  7. "[Not Responding]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Zog The Undeniable said:
    Not Responding said:

    It makes sense.

    A rough estimate puts cost of ownership at over 500UKP per month.

    What is it, a Ferrari?

    Not quite but it is a nice car - if you like that sort of thing.

    Quoted message said:

    My last car was bought new and up until the time I sold it, it cost me (taps calculator) £198 per
    month including depreciation/interest/fuel/insurance/road tax/servicing.

    Still horrendous, but £500 should be a pretty impressive motor!

    Cars are a ridiculously expensive way of getting around.

    Having re-read my original post I feel the need to clarify: while I may be a car-free *person* as
    of Wednesday, we will not be a car-free family. My wife, despite having been introduced to the
    concept of bicycles and having proved herself as a proficient stoker over distances up to and
    including 98.7 miles, will never be car free. She mutters things like "school" (distance from home
    = 0.5 miles), "gym" (distance from home <= 0.75 miles) and "shopping".

    This sounds awfully familiar. Round here the bus services are excellent and taxis are cheap
    (compared to running a car). Only problem with buses is getting to know the routes and timetables;
    buses are not generally very user-friendly for the newcomer but are fine once you suss them out. The
    bus is now my second choice form of transport. But I still can't prise my wife from the car :-(

    Our car is too small for all the family, so over Christmas I was despatched by bike/bus/train on
    visits to assorted relatives. Guess what? Six journeys out of six I arrived first and considerably
    more relaxed! And I was able to accept a small 'refreshment' when offered. Even after that she won't
    give up the car :-((

    Bill
    --
    Cyclists are always well-balanced.

  8. Not Responding said:


    Having re-read my original post I feel the need to clarify: while I may be a car-free *person* as
    of Wednesday, we will not be a car-free family. My wife, despite having been introduced to the
    concept of bicycles and having proved herself as a proficient stoker over distances up to and
    including 98.7 miles, will never be car free. She mutters things like "school" (distance from home
    = 0.5 miles), "gym" (distance from home <= 0.75 miles) and "shopping".

    Sounds familiar. Have bought Mrs C-F a new bike, but this seems only to be for leisure and
    recreation. Can't quite work out the logic of a thirty mile round trip for a game of
    badminton myself.

  9. "bikingbill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "[Not Responding]" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Zog The Undeniable said:

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > It makes sense.
    >
    > A rough estimate puts cost of ownership at over 500UKP per month.

    What is it, a Ferrari?

    Not quite but it is a nice car - if you like that sort of thing.

    Quoted message said:

    My last car was bought new and up until the time I sold it, it cost me (taps calculator) £198
    per month including depreciation/interest/fuel/insurance/road tax/servicing.

    Still horrendous, but £500 should be a pretty impressive motor!

    Cars are a ridiculously expensive way of getting around.

    Having re-read my original post I feel the need to clarify: while I may be a car-free *person*
    as of Wednesday, we will not be a car-free family. My wife, despite having been introduced to
    the concept of bicycles and having proved herself as a proficient stoker over distances up to
    and including 98.7 miles, will never be car free. She mutters things like "school" (distance
    from home = 0.5 miles), "gym" (distance from home <= 0.75 miles) and "shopping".

    This sounds awfully familiar. Round here the bus services are excellent and taxis are cheap
    (compared to running a car). Only problem with buses is getting to know the routes and
    timetables; buses are not generally very user-friendly for the newcomer but are fine once you
    suss them out. The bus is now my second choice form of transport. But I still can't prise my wife
    from the car :-(

    Our car is too small for all the family, so over Christmas I was despatched by bike/bus/train on
    visits to assorted relatives. Guess what? Six journeys out of six I arrived first and considerably
    more relaxed! And I was able to accept a small 'refreshment' when offered. Even after that she
    won't give up the car :-((

    Bill

    Don't want to sound to controversial or anything, but maybe she likes driving?

    :-)

  10. "[Not Responding]" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>... snipped

    Quoted message said:

    I've not been on a bus for some years so it'll be quite an interesting experience. I've been
    playing with www.internet.xephos.com (bloody amazing PT journey planner) and am quite impressed at
    the daytime bus services.

    Don,t get too excited about the bus services. Our local bus services are not too bad off peak but
    during peak hours get delayed in traffic and frequently arrive 20 mins late. Last week I waited at
    the stop for 25 minutes around 5.30 pm for a service that is supposed at that time to be at 15 min
    intervals. Returning that night I knew the timetable but the 11.25 bus didn,t appear resulting in a
    35 minute wait. Doing the same journey by bike is about 25 mins. Which is what I do when not
    travelling with non-cycling partner. My next bike may indeed be a tandem. Iain

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.