Ryan Cousineau said:In article <[email hidden]>,
nash said:brink said:We're having our annual Santa Ana winds here in Southern California, and in
the town I'm in today (Rialto, 1 hr east of LA) the wind is gusting up to 60
MPH. I'm not a great estimator of wind speed, but I think it's easily
blowing steady at 30-40 MPH and the 60 MPH gusts are coming frequently... I
mean, this *crazy* wind...
Just for a challenge, I got on my bike on a very quiet residential street to
see if I could handle this... biking north (straight into the wind) feels
like trying to ascend a 20 percent grade. Biking east or west is a balance
challenge, needless to say... and biking south makes you feel superhuman...
;-)
brink
Here in the GVRD (Vancouver, BC) we get winds like that in the winter
too.
1 million were without power for a week I think, water was non
drinkable for more.
The weather has been so bad I have not gone out for weeks.
My challenge is in my kitchen and using up everything I got. You'd be
amazed what makes a good soup around here.
Nash, it was bad, but nowhere near 1M without power for a week. That
would have been a third of the metropolitan area.
I think power outages peaked in the low hundreds of thousands, with no
more than 60,000 without power for more than a day.
The water was under a boil-water advisory, almost certainly a prudent
precaution rather than a health disaster averted.
--
Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos
Dear Ryan,
You seem to think right.
Some Canadian newspapers reported only 44,000 without power on
Vancouver Island:
"Published: Monday, November 27, 2006"
"Downed trees and snapped snow-laden branches left about 30,000 homes
on southern Vancouver Island without power for much of yesterday, with
hydro crews having a difficult time accessing trouble spots because of
the roads. Another 14,000 homes on the northern Island lost power.
Hydro officials said many people would be without power overnight."
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=f1702cc9-4df5-4678-95fb-96270c4e5bc3&k=43414
A less detailed article mentioned 200,000 for larger area, probably all
of British Columbia:
"Dec 03 2006"
"It started with heavy rains that caused serious flooding in Chilliwack
and some other parts of the region."
"Then a major windstorm tore down trees and knocked out power to more
than 200,000 people."
"Accompanying heavy rains caused mudslides in local reservoirs,
triggering a historic boil water advisory for Greater Vancouver."
http://www.theprogress.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=39&cat=23&id=784579&more=
The population of British Columbia is only about 4 million, with
Vancouver at about 600,00 and its general area around 2 million:
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/aboutvan.htm#population
Cheers,
Carl Fogel