swampy1970 said:The GP4000S's stick to the road like dog sh1t on the bottom of your shoe on a hot day.
I tried the latest Michelin's and had nothing but punctures but no extra grip over the Conti Attack/Force that they replaced. I tried the Vittoria Open Sphincter with 3,323,562 TPI - so named by me because they handled like bananas on a greased metal floor when the weather got really hot around here.
Wear on the 4000S's aint too bad. A little quicker to show signs of wear than the Attack/Force but not much. Pleasantly resistant to cuts and picking up road garbage like small glass pieces and thorns.
That "chilli" compound rubber is great...
I went through two sets of Conti Sprinter Gatorskin tubies. For a while I thought they were the bee's niece, but both ended up being killed by sidewall cuts. Cut sidewalls is a problem I've really only had with Conti's, GP4000's included. That's just my experience though, and it has to be said that I live in tire hell. You want long pointy things? We got 'em by the truckload. Most of the desert plants have got pointy things on 'em. The monsoons give a beating to roads. A perfectly good road can be torn all asunder by just one flash flood. Those same monsoons wash the pointy things in the desert onto the roads.
At any rate, in terms of practicality a high TPI tire probably isn't the wisest choice for day to day riding. If though, you really enjoy the love a nice supple tire gives, well, do what you have to do. There is no wrong answer. The most reliable tire I've found to date is the Maxis Re-Fuse. It's got great puncture resistance; it sticks well to the tarmac, both in the rain and in the dry; and they're not to expensive.