Road Cycling · Public discussion

Hetchins Spyder track bike (1972)

Started by Rick · · Last activity · 6 posts · 354 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
3 August 2007
Last activity
8 August 2007
Original author
Rick
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
354
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

  2. Rick said:

    eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

    Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
    description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
    racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As
    close to it we had were the Scheeren (sp?) Weltmeister rims with balsa
    wood to hold the rim's shape at the spoke holes.

    On the other hand, bladed spokes were also not around in '72. So these
    wheels seem to be a mix of eras.

    The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track
    part. The pedals are at least within the timeframe (barely), but are
    road pedals.

    For a bike that was "ridden once at the World Championships", why would
    the fork be drilled for a brake?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
    first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste
    in the nation.
    -- David Sarnoff, 1939

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rick said:

    eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

    Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
    description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
    racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As
    close to it we had were the Scheeren (sp?) Weltmeister rims with balsa
    wood to hold the rim's shape at the spoke holes.

    On the other hand, bladed spokes were also not around in '72. So these
    wheels seem to be a mix of eras.

    The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track
    part. The pedals are at least within the timeframe (barely), but are
    road pedals.

    For a bike that was "ridden once at the World Championships", why would
    the fork be drilled for a brake?

    To lighten it a bit? <G,D&R>

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rick said:

    eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

    Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
    description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
    racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As

    Maybe a track-only thing? I have no idea; I was 12 at that time.

    Quoted message said:

    close to it we had were the Scheeren (sp?) Weltmeister rims with balsa
    wood to hold the rim's shape at the spoke holes.

    On the other hand, bladed spokes were also not around in '72. So these
    wheels seem to be a mix of eras.

    The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track

    That seatpost and saddle clamp look very similar to the one on my bike
    from around that time, unless you're saying that *Campy* didn't have one
    like that.

    Quoted message said:

    part. The pedals are at least within the timeframe (barely), but are
    road pedals.

    For a bike that was "ridden once at the World Championships", why would
    the fork be drilled for a brake?

    I took that "ridden once..." phrase to be referring to the rims, and not
    the rest of the bike.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  5. David Kerber said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rick said:

    eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder


    Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
    description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
    racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As

    Maybe a track-only thing? I have no idea; I was 12 at that time.

    I was riding track at the time. Wooden rims would have been quite a
    sight. The only ones I saw from that time were from collections of old
    bikes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track

    That seatpost and saddle clamp look very similar to the one on my bike
    from around that time, unless you're saying that *Campy* didn't have one
    like that.

    That is what I meant. I have two Campy seatposts from roughly that era,
    one track, one road. Both are 2-bolt.

    Quoted message said:

    I took that "ridden once..." phrase to be referring to the rims, and not
    the rest of the bike.

    Maybe, but it seems like this bike was built up from someone's parts
    bin. If so, over $1000 seems a bit steep.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
    -- Paul Erdos

  6. In article <[email hidden]>

    Rick [email protected] said:


    eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

    Winning bid $1,251

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.