Road Cycling · Public discussion

Heritage Tour: day 4 Aiken,SC

Started by Jason Waddell · · Last activity · 8 posts · 755 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
3 May 2003
Last activity
5 May 2003
Original author
Jason Waddell
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
755
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This was the last night of the 4 day Heritage Tour of western South Carolina held in Aiken which is
    50 miles east of Columbia. I have been looking forward to this race for several days now, not
    because of the race itself, but because it means that I was only 1 day from my second favorite race
    of the year, The Shelby Crit. Shelby is by far my favorite race of the spring and has been for over
    5 years now. I have never finished better than 8th at Shelby, but this year may just be my year.
    (FYI, Crit Nationals at Downers Grove(Chicago) is my favorite race.)

    How it happened, well the version as my eyes saw it. I wanted to sit this race out and rest up for
    Shelby but $10,000 in prize money is hard to say no to. I did however vow to not make any attacks
    and just follow wheels all night. This is where best laid plans go awry. I started in the very back
    and stayed there for the first few laps but I like to race and within 15 laps I was near the front.

    This is where it gets confusing, attacks were going non stop and I just sat there and bided my time
    by only going with big groups. Then it started to rain, not a downpour but it was raining and the
    roads got very slick. Soon enough I found myself in one group of 17 riders that got a very good gap.
    This was the final break of the race.

    This group attacked numerous times and soon a break of 4 riders went clear. I had really good legs
    and decided to wait a lap and go across. It took me a little over a lap to bridge the gap and soon
    enough I found myself in a 5 man break with Vogels(Navigators) Wohlberg(Saturn) Meza(Schroeder Iron)
    Pate(Prime Alliance) and myself Waddell(Mathis). This group worked really well together for over 15
    laps and extended our gap to the chasers, except Pate was sitting on because by his own admission
    was by far the slowest finisher in the group. It stopped raining around this point.

    We maintained a good gap the other 12 man group until about 15 laps to go when a group of 5 joined
    us from behind containing Horner(Saturn),Papp(UPMC), a Shroeder Iron dude, Larkin(Ofoto) and some
    other guy I didn't know. This really upset the group and what once was a smooth working group became
    an attack fest.

    Horner and Vogels are on a completely different level in a situation like this, those two guys
    attacked us and we never saw them again. I really wanted to have a chance to win tonight after I
    made the break, but with this only being my 4th pro level race of the year sometimes you have to
    admit defeat. I didn't give up, but in situations like this I have to be realistic.

    For those that don't know me I have a FULL-TIME job just like you readers do, I own my house, I have
    a yard to mow, and I also direct and co-manage the Mathis Brothers team. It is at times like this in
    the race that I think to myself what it would be like to RIDE full-time and not have to get up at
    5am EVERY morning to go to work. But I digress and we have 10 laps left to race...

    After those two checked out it was attack, attack, attack and I was trying my best to do as little
    as possible to save energy for tommorrows race. Wohlberg and a Shroeder guy got away with 6 or so
    laps to go and the rest of us just kept attacking each other.

    With 3 laps to go it started raining again, and for those that don't know, light rain, completely
    dark corners(it was after 9 pm by now) and being very tired makes for slippery bike handling. I
    guess I just had too much pressure in my tires because my bike was all over the place on those last
    three laps. I decided to just ride it in and see what happened in the sprint, Meza bombed the last
    turn with that other guy on his wheel and won the sprint for 5th. I decided that risking life and
    limb on wet roads for 5th wasn't worth my skin or broken bones when Shelby is tommorrow. I was 7th
    for the night and very satisfied.

    I hope you have enjoyed reading these reports, there is two more nights of racing with Shelby and
    Roswell,Ga.

    Thanks for reading, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

  2. Congradulations Jason, you seem to be getting better all the time. And smartening up as well.

    "Jason Waddell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This was the last night of the 4 day Heritage Tour of western South


    Carolina

    Quoted message said:

    held in Aiken which is 50 miles east of Columbia. I have been


    looking forward

    Quoted message said:

    to this race for several days now, not because of the race itself,


    but because

    Quoted message said:

    it means that I was only 1 day from my second favorite race of the


    year, The

    Quoted message said:

    Shelby Crit. Shelby is by far my favorite race of the spring and


    has been for

    Quoted message said:

    over 5 years now. I have never finished better than 8th at Shelby,


    but this

    Quoted message said:

    year may just be my year. (FYI, Crit Nationals at Downers


    Grove(Chicago) is my

    Quoted message said:

    favorite race.)

    How it happened, well the version as my eyes saw it. I wanted to


    sit this race

    Quoted message said:

    out and rest up for Shelby but $10,000 in prize money is hard to say


    no to. I

    Quoted message said:

    did however vow to not make any attacks and just follow wheels all


    night. This

    Quoted message said:

    is where best laid plans go awry. I started in the very back and


    stayed there

    Quoted message said:

    for the first few laps but I like to race and within 15 laps I was


    near the

    Quoted message said:

    front.

    This is where it gets confusing, attacks were going non stop and I


    just sat

    Quoted message said:

    there and bided my time by only going with big groups. Then it


    started to

    Quoted message said:

    rain, not a downpour but it was raining and the roads got very


    slick. Soon

    Quoted message said:

    enough I found myself in one group of 17 riders that got a very good


    gap. This

    Quoted message said:

    was the final break of the race.

    This group attacked numerous times and soon a break of 4 riders went


    clear. I

    Quoted message said:

    had really good legs and decided to wait a lap and go across. It


    took me a

    Quoted message said:

    little over a lap to bridge the gap and soon enough I found myself


    in a 5 man

    Quoted message said:

    break with Vogels(Navigators) Wohlberg(Saturn) Meza(Schroeder Iron)


    Pate(Prime

    Quoted message said:

    Alliance) and myself Waddell(Mathis). This group worked really well


    together

    Quoted message said:

    for over 15 laps and extended our gap to the chasers, except Pate


    was sitting

    Quoted message said:

    on because by his own admission was by far the slowest finisher in


    the group.

    Quoted message said:

    It stopped raining around this point.

    We maintained a good gap the other 12 man group until about 15 laps


    to go when

    Quoted message said:

    a group of 5 joined us from behind containing


    Horner(Saturn),Papp(UPMC), a

    Quoted message said:

    Shroeder Iron dude, Larkin(Ofoto) and some other guy I didn't know.


    This

    Quoted message said:

    really upset the group and what once was a smooth working group


    became an

    Quoted message said:

    attack fest.

    Horner and Vogels are on a completely different level in a situation


    like this,

    Quoted message said:

    those two guys attacked us and we never saw them again. I really


    wanted to have

    Quoted message said:

    a chance to win tonight after I made the break, but with this only


    being my 4th

    Quoted message said:

    pro level race of the year sometimes you have to admit defeat. I


    didn't give

    Quoted message said:

    up, but in situations like this I have to be realistic.

    For those that don't know me I have a FULL-TIME job just like you


    readers do, I

    Quoted message said:

    own my house, I have a yard to mow, and I also direct and co-manage


    the Mathis

    Quoted message said:

    Brothers team. It is at times like this in the race that I think to


    myself

    Quoted message said:

    what it would be like to RIDE full-time and not have to get up at


    5am EVERY

    Quoted message said:

    morning to go to work. But I digress and we have 10 laps left to


    race...

    Quoted message said:


    After those two checked out it was attack, attack, attack and I was


    trying my

    Quoted message said:

    best to do as little as possible to save energy for tommorrows race.


    Wohlberg

    Quoted message said:

    and a Shroeder guy got away with 6 or so laps to go and the rest of


    us just

    Quoted message said:

    kept attacking each other.

    With 3 laps to go it started raining again, and for those that don't


    know,

    Quoted message said:

    light rain, completely dark corners(it was after 9 pm by now) and


    being very

    Quoted message said:

    tired makes for slippery bike handling. I guess I just had too much


    pressure

    Quoted message said:

    in my tires because my bike was all over the place on those last


    three laps. I

    Quoted message said:

    decided to just ride it in and see what happened in the sprint, Meza


    bombed the

    Quoted message said:

    last turn with that other guy on his wheel and won the sprint for


    5th. I

    Quoted message said:

    decided that risking life and limb on wet roads for 5th wasn't worth


    my skin or

    Quoted message said:

    broken bones when Shelby is tommorrow. I was 7th for the night and


    very

    Quoted message said:

    satisfied.

    I hope you have enjoyed reading these reports, there is two more


    nights of

    Quoted message said:

    racing with Shelby and Roswell,Ga.

    Thanks for reading, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

  3. "Jason Waddell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I hope you have enjoyed reading these reports,

    Very much, good luck tomorrow.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, Tom Kunich

    Quoted message said:

    Congradulations Jason, you seem to be getting better all the time. And smartening up as well.

    You wanna rephrase that a little?

    -WG

  5. Jason,

    You're racing well and writing well. I, for one, admire your racing and really enjoy reading
    your reports.

    Thanks,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dave

  6. warren said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Tom Kunich

    Quoted message said:

    Congradulations Jason, you seem to be getting better all the time. And smartening up as well.

    You wanna rephrase that a little?

    -WG

    Klassic.

    -Gerard

  7. Great job, Jason, but what about a PS to mention how your teammate's doing out at Gila? Where's the
    team pride? ;-)

    Day 4 - Results Men

    1 Florencio R Torres (Mex) Tecos 1.38.01 2 Steve Cate (USA) Mathis Brothers 0.08

    Day 3 - Results 1 Gord Fraser (Can) Healthnet 3.07.33 2 Steve Cate (USA) Mathis Brothers

    [email hidden] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I was 7th for the night and very satisfied.

    I hope you have enjoyed reading these reports, there is two more nights of racing with Shelby and
    Roswell,Ga.

    Thanks for reading, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

  8. "Jason Waddell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I hope you have enjoyed reading these reports,

    Yes, a lot. Good riding, good reporting. Very cool.

    JT

    PS Kunich is an idiot.

    PP I know you know that already.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.