Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Here are the symptoms...what's the disease?

Started by Roy Keane · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,943 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 April 2007
Last activity
28 April 2007
Original author
Roy Keane
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,943
Views / 30 days
6
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got in m first good ride on my new bike yesterday (I live in Massachusetts....I stopped working on my Ark just last week).

    After my ride, I had some pains I've never had before - my sternum, all around my collarbone area, my lower back...

    During the ride, when I tried to get into the drops, it felt like it was too long of a reach.

    I think I know what the problem is - my handlebars need to be raised. I don't think it's my seat height...that seems to be right on, in terms of leg extension at 6 o'clock in my pedal stroke.

    So is it handlebar height, seat position (needs to move forward), a combo? Something else entirely?

  2. Might be too long of a stem if the reach to your drops is too long. I highly recommend getting a professional, sometimes very expensive, bike fit. It will work wonders for you, did for me anyway.

  3. Roy Keane said:

    I got in m first good ride on my new bike yesterday (I live in Massachusetts....I stopped working on my Ark just last week).

    After my ride, I had some pains I've never had before - my sternum, all around my collarbone area, my lower back...

    During the ride, when I tried to get into the drops, it felt like it was too long of a reach.

    I think I know what the problem is - my handlebars need to be raised. I don't think it's my seat height...that seems to be right on, in terms of leg extension at 6 o'clock in my pedal stroke.

    So is it handlebar height, seat position (needs to move forward), a combo? Something else entirely?

    Different things to consider - Do you stretch? Very important. Strength - is your strength and stamina up to snuff to handle the length of rides you are doing? And bike fit - this is very important. Although if you are in the ballpark you should be able to compensate with adjustments and preparation.

  4. Shorter stem.......(get a fitting)

  5. Roy Keane said:

    I got in m first good ride on my new bike yesterday (I live in Massachusetts....I stopped working on my Ark just last week).

    After my ride, I had some pains I've never had before - my sternum, all around my collarbone area, my lower back...

    During the ride, when I tried to get into the drops, it felt like it was too long of a reach.

    I think I know what the problem is - my handlebars need to be raised. I don't think it's my seat height...that seems to be right on, in terms of leg extension at 6 o'clock in my pedal stroke.

    So is it handlebar height, seat position (needs to move forward), a combo? Something else entirely?

    FWIW it sounds like fitness level combined with "new fit, new bike". I know if I get sick and I'm down for a while, my collar bone and mid back ache for a week or so until my core strength gets up to speed. Also a far reach on a rough road I've discovered will give a similar feel to my body. Maybe shorten up the stem and compact yourself a bit to ease the stress on those back areas. Good luck.

  6. rudycyclist said:

    Might be too long of a stem if the reach to your drops is too long. I highly recommend getting a professional, sometimes very expensive, bike fit. It will work wonders for you, did for me anyway.


    I agree - a good fitting goes a long way. Find a LBS or coach who will do a custom fit.

  7. Roy Keane said:

    I got in my first good ride (I live in Massachusetts....I stopped working on my Ark just last week).


    you and me both! congrats on the new bike and I hope your fit issue gets resolved quickly.

    btw, what type of bike did you get?

  8. If you're on a road bike, it might be that your body hasn't gotten accustomed to riding a roadie.

    When I started out last year, I had gotten the wrong size for my bike. Luckily, the store allowed me to get it exchanged for the appropriate size & I decided to get them to do a proper fit as well - about $50.

    Even with the properly fitting bike, I had to clock some KMs under the belt before I really got used to riding the bike.

  9. Agreed - that first ride after you've been off for a while, or haven't ridden at all in decades, can be painful.

    Give it about five or six more rides before you start thinking about spending money. By then, the seldom used muscles will tone up, and you'll have a better idea of what is getting in shape, and what genuinely needs attention.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.