rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Help wanted in building a STC style bUNIke

Started by AscenXion · · Last activity · 14 posts · 160 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
17 August 2006
Last activity
20 August 2006
Original author
AscenXion
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
160
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay, so, my wife needs a bike that's suitable for moderate trail riding
    and whatnot. I would like a 26x3 unicycle to be better able to keep up
    with her on her road bike. And I'm figuring, why not just have/make one
    "wheeled vehicle" to accomplish both tasks?

    I'm wondering any actual (not "inferred"😉 drawbacks to a STC style
    "bike" built with the correct geometry (as close to at least) of a
    mountain bike. Obviously it couldn't freewheel or have gears. I'm
    wondering if having the seat under you, instead of behind would add
    much difference to feel vs a normal mountain bike. And are there any
    other things that I haven't thought about that would make this a bad
    idea?

    There's a picture I found from here. Looks a lot more like a real bike
    than the STC or Uniqo, this is kinda what I'm thinking, except with a
    regular detachable uni and a larger mountain bike frame.
    [image:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5921&stc=1&d=1107264636]

    Also, I was just wondering if anyone knew any good 48 spoke rims out
    there? I've looked, but can't really find anything that I know would be
    good, and would fit a 26x3 tire.

    Thanx

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  2. Weird idea - good luck with it!
    As for 48 hole rims, all the ones I know of are intended for tandems.
    You'd probably have a hard time finding one wide enough to work well
    with a 3" tyre. If you've got a 48 hole hub you want to use, you'd
    probably be better off just using a 36 hole downhill rim and doing some
    creative lacing - 48 into 36 isn't too bad.

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  3. AscenXion said:

    I'm wondering any actual (not "inferred"😉 drawbacks to a STC style
    "bike" built with the correct geometry (as close to at least) of a
    mountain bike.

    Obviously it couldn't freewheel or have gears.

    That's two. How long of a list did you want?

    I have a "hybrid" or "cross" bike, a Miyata Triplecross. It's supposed
    to cross the line between a road and mountain bike. But it can only be
    what it is. The better you make a road bike, the worse it will be as a
    mountain bike, and vice-versa. So what I have is a lousy road bike, and
    an even lousier mountain bike. Fortunately it's a great commuting bike.

    If you want to build something for fun, that's fine. If you want to
    build something for the point of building it, that's also fine. But if
    you want a cycle to do two very different things, you're going to have
    to compromise. For a good quality ride, use two different cycles.

    Beyond that, the picture you posted looks really cool. One obvious
    drawback with the bike in the picture: it won't go up steep hills. Try
    to pedal that thing up steep hills and you'll have to lean crazy
    forward, but it still probably won't be enough to keep the front end on
    the ground.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  4. johnfoss said:


    Beyond that, the picture you posted looks really cool. One obvious
    drawback with the bike in the picture: it won't go up steep hills. Try
    to pedal that thing up steep hills and you'll have to lean crazy
    forward, but it still probably won't be enough to keep the front end on
    the ground.

    Who needs the front end on the ground?

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  5. johnfoss said:

    I have a "hybrid" or "cross" bike, a Miyata Triplecross. It's supposed
    to cross the line between a road and mountain bike. But it can only be
    what it is. The better you make a road bike, the worse it will be as a
    mountain bike, and vice-versa. So what I have is a lousy road bike, and
    an even lousier mountain bike. Fortunately it's a great commuting
    bike.
    Try to pedal that thing up steep hills and you'll have to lean crazy
    forward, but it still probably won't be enough to keep the front end on
    the ground.

    I envy you, then, as your wife must be MUCH more athletic than mine. 🙂
    That's why I said easy to moderate trails. The only reason that she
    would need another bike than the one she has, is that it's a laid back,
    beach cruiser, 3 speed. And it would probably break the hub the first
    time she tried to do anything even remotely off the pavement.

    I'm just looking for basically a bmx with a larger frame and bigger
    tires. I figure that that'd be enough for her to keep up with me on a
    unicycle and have a little fun of her own.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  6. I problem I would have, I think, is mostly with the seat.

    For upright riding, like on a unicycle, you want a unicycle style seat.
    Now, imagine that you are all hunched over, like on a bike - also
    figure in that with the pedals under you that you'd be even more
    hunched over than on a normal bike. Think about leaning that far over
    on your current uni - You are going to squish or damage your man parts.
    It won't be much better for a woman.

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  7. Seager said:

    I problem I would have, I think, is mostly with the seat.

    For upright riding, like on a unicycle, you want a unicycle style seat.
    Now, imagine that you are all hunched over, like on a bike - also
    figure in that with the pedals under you that you'd be even more
    hunched over than on a normal bike. Think about leaning that far over
    on your current uni - You are going to squish or damage your man parts.
    It won't be much better for a woman.

    Yeah, I've already imparted my disdain for current uni seats. Maybe I'd
    just put a bike seat on it from the get go, I dunno. But, part of it
    will be solved as I intend to lean the uni to the front slightly for
    attachment, so it'll be in a better position to lean over a little. And
    the geometry won't be all that agressive anyways, so...

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  8. Anybody out there that wants to take a stab at how such a bike would
    actually feel? Any STC owners that can look past the bad geometry and
    small tire size, to let me know how it might feel to ride a mountain
    sized bmx bike with the seat, cranks, and tire inline?

    I'd really like to generate some conversation on this, and not just let
    it die....this is me on my hands and knees here begging.

    `\0/`
    |\||/|

    or it's a frog...I'm not sure which.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  9. AscenXion said:

    And I'm figuring, why not just have/make one "wheeled vehicle" to
    accomplish both tasks?

    Its people like you who make america great. I'll second the seat
    problem. maybe you could modify a uni seat and cut of the front
    portion? I think a rail mechanism to adjust the seat angle for uniing
    and biking would be useful. Best of luck to you, and thanks for
    innovating :-D

    --
    Sgaterboy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sgaterboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  10. I think you'd have to be bold upright with cruiser handlebars or really
    really leaned over with tons of your weight no your hands.

    If you figure proper biking the cranks are right under your knees with
    your thighs parellel with the ground, and on your unibikethingy the
    cranks would be under your butt... I dunno. I think you should try it
    - if it's horrible atleast we will all know the answer.

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  11. theres a wide DH 48 holed rim called the Halo Combat...its mostly found
    in Europe though...look on unicycle.uk

    --
    forget_your_life

    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  12. forget_your_life said:

    theres a wide DH 48 holed rim called the Halo Combat...its mostly found
    in Europe though...look on unicycle.uk

    Hey, thanks a lot for that info.

    Seager said:

    I think you'd have to be bold upright with cruiser handlebars or really
    really leaned over with tons of your weight no your hands.

    If you figure proper biking the cranks are right under your knees with
    your thighs parellel with the ground, and on your unibikethingy the
    cranks would be under your butt... I dunno. I think you should try it
    - if it's horrible atleast we will all know the answer.

    yeah...guinea pig I will have to be, I guess. 🙂 I figure, if you lean
    the uni to the front, like the Uniqo does, you'd be in a weird
    position, not like a bike, but if you get used to it, it might be cool.
    You'd be in like a sport bike position...might work.

    Sgaterboy said:

    Its people like you who make america great. I'll second the seat
    problem. maybe you could modify a uni seat and cut of the front
    portion? I think a rail mechanism to adjust the seat angle for uniing
    and biking would be useful. Best of luck to you, and thanks for
    innovating :-D

    Thanx for that. I take back the bad thing that I think I just said
    about you in the "little punk" thread. 🙂

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  13. AscenXion said:

    Okay, so, my wife needs a bike that's suitable for moderate trail riding
    and whatnot. I would like a 26x3 unicycle to be better able to keep up
    with her on her road bike. And I'm figuring, why not just have/make one
    "wheeled vehicle" to accomplish both tasks?

    Haha once again I think you need a coker. 🙂

    --
    TheObieOne3226

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    \"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

    \"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
    mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
    you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
    don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
    not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheObieOne3226's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4851
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

  14. TheObieOne3226 said:

    Haha once again I think you need a coker. 🙂

    Right...cuz my wife is going to learn to ride a unicycle off-road and a
    coker no less FOR YOU.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52178

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.