rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Help, should I take Uni to Vietnam??????

Started by cowan · · Last activity · 9 posts · 282 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
2 November 2005
Last activity
3 November 2005
Original author
cowan
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
282
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
    results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question: Should I take UNI to Vietnam

    - Take uni and go nuts
    - Take uni and avoid unnecessary attention
    - Leave uni at home and 'dream ride'
    - Flip a coin
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm leaving for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam tomorrow and was planning on
    taking my trials uni. It fits perfect in a small suitcase.

    Just noticed that someone was 'caught' unicycling in Tiananmen Square
    and made to stop. Has anyone had trouble from other communist
    countries? 😕

    😕 Is there any good logic to keeping a lower profile?

    It would suck to be without my uni for 2 weeks, but safety is a
    consideration.

    Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

    --
    cowan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10985
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  2. Take it. Tiananmen Square is a different problem, it's an area that the
    chinese are supposed to show respect so there is no 'clowning around'.
    also Chairman Mao's mausoleum in on the square. Anywhere else in China
    you would be mobbed by inquisitive locals.
    In Ho Chi Minh City not far from the port area and travellers hang out
    streets there is a school for underprivalaged children, a 'circus
    school' as such. They have a number of gifted Uni riders there. I don't
    know the name but we went to a performance there. I doubt they have
    ever seen atrials uni before!The locals will know where it is if your
    in the area.

    --
    canmore-uni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    canmore-uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9810
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  3. Tiannanmen Square was the site of a giant political protest that got
    worldwide coverage in 1989. As that location is representative of
    China, and is a major tourist attraction, the policy in 1993 seemed to
    be that doing unusual stuff there was frowned upon. When Jack Halpern
    and I started riding our unicycles for a picture, cops came running
    immediately. But they said we were fine to ride anywhere we wanted
    outside the square.

    Fast-forward to 2000: Unicon X. 400+ unicyclists converged on
    Tiannanmen Square for a "demonstration" and performances we did there.
    This was of course pre-arranged by the convention organizers, and our
    performance area was barricaded off from tourists and others. But there
    was no problem for hundreds of us to ride from the subway, across the
    square, to our performance area.

    You can dig around in here to see the pictures from that day:
    http://tinyurl.com/a6xgh

    So bring your unicycle and go nuts!

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  4. generally people like Americans, they think we are very "unique"... Add
    a uni to that and you'll make many friends! Just remember to be
    respectful of culture and people.

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  5. briguymaine said:

    generally people like Americans

    Was that meant to be ironic? Remeber the last time a whole load of you
    guys went to Vietnam? My personal experience of meeting people abroard
    is that after they've noticed you speak English they're relieved to
    find you're not American. This isn't a personal reflection on anyone
    here, it's just a note from my experiences of life. Particularly round
    both places I live there is a strong anti-American sentiment, and we're
    a supposedly friendly countries.

    But seriously, take it and have fun.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  6. cowan said:

    Has anyone had trouble from other communist countries?

    Sure you're not being just a little paranoid there? Do you really
    think that communism has anything to do with whoever that person was
    getting told to stop unicycling?

    Actually, you could be right (I know very little about politics in
    general) but it would really surprise me.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
    ___________
    WORKS ON CONTINGENCY*?*
    NO*,* MONEY DOWN*!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  7. Absolutely- I took my Coker around Ho Chi Minh City at it was a blast!
    You'd be crazy not to bring one along.

    It's more fun cycling outside of the main cities- especially Cokering
    through the villages/main highway.
    Check out my Vietnam to Cambodia Cycle Challenge photos and story
    here:
    http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/new_page_2.htm

    I actually enjoyed riding through Cambodia more than I did Vietnam, but
    boy was it hot.

    Have fun!

    Ken

    --
    GizmoDuck

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
    check out my new and improved website
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  8. kington99 said:

    Was that meant to be ironic? Remeber the last time a whole load of you
    guys went to Vietnam? My personal experience of meeting people abroard
    is that after they've noticed you speak English they're relieved to
    find you're not American.

    I don't mean to flame you, we've probably just been to different
    places. I've found that people can see a person for who they are. I
    haven't been to Europe, I get the feeling that Americans aren't beloved
    there! I dig Asia, South America, and Russia.

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

  9. The UNI is packed and ready to go🙂 ! Included is a kite, frisbee, pump
    and my toolkit. Guess I was wrong to hesitate in bringing the uni.
    Thanks All...

    FYI - We're going over to work with disabled kids and 650 wheelchairs
    :eek: .

    [image: http://www.esilab.com/uni/unipacked.jpg]

    --
    cowan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10985
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44425

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.