Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Help!? Quill frozen in fork tube!

Started by Michigan John · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,016 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 May 2007
Last activity
26 May 2007
Original author
Michigan John
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,016
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So, I'm trying to get a quill stem unfrozen from a fork tube. The dude that
    owns the bike bought it from a guy who used it on a trainer and SWEAT all
    over it for years. The headset is shot, so the quill stem has got to come
    out. The quill is aluminum, the threaded fork tube's steel.

    I've been soaking it with Liquid Wrench for over a week. Tapping and
    banging. I even heated what I could reach with a propane torch. It's still
    not moving.

    What do I do now?

  2. Michigan John said:

    So, I'm trying to get a quill stem unfrozen from a fork tube. The dude that
    owns the bike bought it from a guy who used it on a trainer and SWEAT all
    over it for years. The headset is shot, so the quill stem has got to come
    out. The quill is aluminum, the threaded fork tube's steel.

    I've been soaking it with Liquid Wrench for over a week. Tapping and
    banging. I even heated what I could reach with a propane torch. It's still
    not moving.

    What do I do now?

    See:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html

    The problem is that aluminum corrodes and forms oxides which are
    bulkier than the parent material, so the stem "swells", locking it in
    place. The oxides are relatively impervious to chemical attack and you
    can't usually get lubricants into the interface.

    You can try to get it to move with a vise, but often the amount of
    torque you'd need is more than you can provide without damaging the fork.

    The inevitable solution is to cut off most of the stem and start
    removing material from the inside of the tube formed by the stem stub.
    After you get the wall thinned, you can slot it and fold it away from
    the inside of the steerer.

    I've only done this once, I used a rotary rasp bit (a pear shaped one on
    a hand drill) to chew away the stem wall and a hacksaw blade to slit. I
    left enough of the stem above the steerer to grab with pliers. It was a
    bit tedious, but all in all took an hour or so.

    The reason I used a rasp bit is that grinding stones are slower, tend to
    clog with aluminum and can cut the steel steerer. I suppose you could
    use successively larger drill bits (if you had them). I found I didn't
    have to go that deep into the stem stub (perhaps 1"😉 because the
    corrosion forms at the top.

  3. Michigan John said:

    So, I'm trying to get a quill stem unfrozen from a fork tube. The
    dude that owns the bike bought it from a guy who used it on a
    trainer and SWEAT all over it for years. The headset is shot, so
    the quill stem has got to come out. The quill is aluminum, the
    threaded fork tube's steel.

    Quoted message said:

    I've been soaking it with Liquid Wrench for over a week. Tapping
    and banging. I even heated what I could reach with a propane torch.
    It's still not moving.

    Quoted message said:

    What do I do now?

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/threadless-headset.html

    Jobst Brandt

  4. "Michigan John" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So, I'm trying to get a quill stem unfrozen from a fork tube. The dude
    that owns the bike bought it from a guy who used it on a trainer and SWEAT
    all over it for years. The headset is shot, so the quill stem has got to
    come out. The quill is aluminum, the threaded fork tube's steel.

    I've been soaking it with Liquid Wrench for over a week. Tapping and
    banging. I even heated what I could reach with a propane torch. It's still
    not moving.

    Since the headset is shot, this might be an opportune time to replace the
    fork and switch to threadless. Your buddy can get a decent CF fork from
    Nashbar for only $80. I had one. It worked fine. In fact, I will sell it
    to him for $15 plus postage since it is just collecting dust ( it was a
    replacement fork in an old steel frame that was retired shortly after
    installation due to cracking around a frame lug that I did not feel like
    repairing). No warranties. Star nut installed. Uncut Al steerer.

    Otherwise, you have exhausted your simple options and your only other option
    (besides fork replacement) is like everyone else has said -- hacking-off the
    stem and reaming out the stump in one way or another. I would go to
    threadless because your friend will not have this problem again, and he will
    be able to choose from a zillion threadless stems and headsets on the
    market, many of which are very cheap. -- Jay Beattie.

  5. Michigan John said:

    So, I'm trying to get a quill stem unfrozen from a fork tube. The dude that
    owns the bike bought it from a guy who used it on a trainer and SWEAT all
    over it for years. The headset is shot, so the quill stem has got to come
    out. The quill is aluminum, the threaded fork tube's steel.

    I've been soaking it with Liquid Wrench for over a week. Tapping and
    banging. I even heated what I could reach with a propane torch. It's still
    not moving.

    What do I do now?


    Here's a totally different approach.
    If you have a way of coupling the output of an audio amp to the fork
    tube, (woofer with a bad cone?), apply some sound at moderate to high
    vibration of the frame and go for a ride. An hour or so of that is
    probably equal to years of waiting for oil so seep in.
    Disclaimer;
    I used to work where they had a half-ton shaker table that was
    programmable. We proved that 99% of the time we could break anything if
    it was shaken enough.
    Bill Baka

  6. Michigan John said:

    So, I'm trying to get a quill stem unfrozen from a fork tube. The dude that
    owns the bike bought it from a guy who used it on a trainer and SWEAT all
    over it for years. The headset is shot, so the quill stem has got to come
    out. The quill is aluminum, the threaded fork tube's steel.

    I've been soaking it with Liquid Wrench for over a week. Tapping and
    banging. I even heated what I could reach with a propane torch. It's still
    not moving.

    What do I do now?

    Remove the bolt. Cut the stem. Unscrew the headset, pull the fork out.
    Melt out the aluminum stem stump (won't affect the steel column). Ream
    clean and then be sure to remove/clean lube your new stem regularly.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.