Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Help me identify this old bike

Started by belch84 · · Last activity · 7 posts · 917 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 July 2010
Last activity
21 September 2010
Original author
belch84
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
917
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Could you help me identify this bike? It belongs to my brother who dwells in California. Bike was acquired in 80's or 90's and then underwent repairing (it was covered with some modern coverage: red and black)
    [ATTACH]12509[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]12510[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]12511[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]12512[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]12513[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]12514[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]12515[/ATTACH]

    Please help me ...

  2. belch84 said:

    Could you help me identify this bike? It belongs to my brother who dwells in California. Bike was acquired in 80's or 90's and then underwent repairing (it was covered with some modern coverage: red and black)

    Why don't you ask your brother what the markings on the bike were before it was repainted?

    Which, if any, components did he change/add?

    Is the frame Steel, Aluminum, Titanium, Other?

  3. alfeng said:

    Why don't you ask your brother what the markings on the bike were before it was repainted?

    Which, if any, components did he change/add?

    Is the frame Steel, Aluminum, Titanium, Other?


    He told me that bike was bought at garage sale, it was in bad state and there wern't any markings on it (it was too rusty). Seems he din't add/chnage any significant components. I'll ask him about frame material but not immediately 'cause I'm very far from him now and there isn't instatnt connection between us (he hasn't got access to Internet).
    Is it possible to identify bike by its appearance, not analizing materials it made of?

  4. You might try a Google search using Balloon Tire Bomber or Balloon Tire Society. Also use Google image search. You might get lucky and match it up with something.

  5. Since my first post about my chain guard was eaten by the thread monster I will do it again.....
     
    A weed along the trail caught my chain guard and broke it. It only comes with the gear set and
    costs $30.
     
    You can not buy them after market for this type gears.
     
    Some recommended that I just leave it off as most of the high $$ bikes don't have them any way.
     
    But I would feel better if it was on there, so I made one.
     
    Bottom of an oil drain pan from Walmart,, $1.99, screws from the hardware store,, $0.39.
     
    Made a paper pattern and did a bit of math to get the five holes in the right spot. Time spent,
    less than an hour.
     
    Broken
     
    [IMG]img412.imageshack.usbrokea.jpg[/IMG]
     
    Fixed
     
    [IMG]img827.imageshack.usfixedh.jpg[/IMG]
     
    Better picture.
     
    Image in Help me identify this old bike
     
    I used the next larger size nut for the spacers and the screw end is
    just out side the nut so it is not a hazard and the nuts are lock tighted
    on.
     
    I have ridden it several days and it works fine and I feel better with it fixed.
    I guess it is the old pilot in me that wants things right.
     
    Thank you for taking time to look.

  6. Hey, looks good for homemade, and can't beat the price. Great to keep your pantleg out of the chain if you ride in long pants: I thought they disappeared after lycra shorts became popular back in the 70's. Plenty of old bikes had them then. My 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport has a Stronglight 93 crankset with an alloy chainguard, and a Peugeot mixte of similar vintage had one also. Can't say I miss them though....it's been a while since I last rode in jeans 🙂

  7. Looks better than the original. I am one of the OP's that said to leave it off. Shows you how much I know....LOL

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.