In article <[email hidden]>,
Noel Llopis said:Hello,
I'm in the process of trying to put together (or buy if there's one available) a great
commuter/bad weather bike.
I intend to use it mostly for commuting (12 miles each way in reasonably hilly terrain--takes me
about 45-50 minutes), especially in rainy weather. When the weather is nice and the roads are
clear, I'll probably ride my road bike instead.
My 54cm Trek 5200 fits me like a glove, so I'd prefer a frame that has similar proportions. I
don't mind if it has shallower angles, but I don't want something with a really short top tube and
a more upright position.
I'd like to have wide tires (32 or 35?) on this commuter bike, so right there that puts some
restrictions on the frames I can use. I'm thinking that a cyclocross frame might be a good fit.
Yes. And they're usually not expensive.
Quoted message said:I'd also like to be able to put on fenders for the winter commuting (they might come off for rainy
rides in the summer), so it has to have eyelets.
Since this is going to be a bad-weather bike, should I avoid steel or chromoly and go for alumium
or something else that won't be too affected by water?
I wouldn't worry about that, but see below for why.
Quoted message said:I haven't researched brakes or wheels for this very much. Any suggestions of things to get/avoid?
36-spoke Al clincher rims. Use Kool Stop salmon pads for actual braking. I bought the gray ones once
because the shop was out of salmon, and they're less impressive than stock Shimano pads (which I
think are okay).
Quoted message said:If possible, I'd like to keep it under about $1K, but I can go a bit higher if it makes a big
difference.
My feeling is that you can go much, much cheaper. Think sub-$100, think garage sale, and think early
1980s road machinery.
I picked up an early-80s Japanese-made Bianchi with nice Nisi rims for $10 at a garage sale this
year. Nothing fancy, not terribly lightweight, and already a bit rusty, but perfectly serviceable.
Most bikes of this era were built with eyelets and reasonable fender clearances. I weigh about 155
(well, I did before Christmas), and ride with about 25 pounds of rack, pannier, trunk, lunch, and
clothing on my way to work. I use 28 mm tires with no problem and with plenty of clearance to the
fenders (32s might fit, 35s probably would not). I have no desire for a fatter tire than that, and I
did a ride on a gravel path this week.
The nicest thing is that since this is a wet-weather commuter vehicle, and since it is already a bit
rusty, I don't worry about theft or salt. My experience is that the corrosion on the frame has not
progressed significantly after a couple months of salty roads, using no more precautions than indoor
storage at both ends. If I feel guilty about it later, I'll put some Rustoleum on it.
The thing to look for in a bike this age is a decent quality frame with decent components. Stay away
from bikes with suicide levers or shifters on the stem. Most (but not all) bikes with those features
are indifferent department-store stuff of the era.
Once you get the bike home, it's worth opening up, cleaning, and adjusting the front and rear hubs.
The BB and headset are also good things to check, adjust, and grease. Being lazy, I tend to wantonly
remove BBs at the first sign of trouble and replace them with Shimano cartridge units. This has as
much to do with the fact that I own the right tool for installing Shimano BBs as any predjudice
against adjustable BBs, but the Shimano UN-52 is one of the great values in bike parts.
Useful upgrades: -make sure the brakes are up to standard. Since you have the budget, I would
seriously consider mail-ordering or EBay-ing a dual-pivot front brake. Dave will kill me for
recommending his favourite brake and driving up the price, but the RSX dual-pivot is heavy (yeah,
probably 50g heavier than Dura-Ace) and strong. I think having decent braking performance from
the hoods is especially important on a commuter bike. -a Hyperglide 6- or 7-speed freewheel is a
great upgrade if/when the original part needs replacement. I think Hyperglide does more to
improve shifting than indexing -but, since 6-speed index shifters are cheap, why not get a set of
those next?
I think Planet Bike's plastic fenders work well, but I have a nice set of stylish Esges on my
commuter, because I had them around.
Assuming an extravagant start of $100 for the bike, and then adding fenders, a rack, and the
recommended brake, you should be out less than $200. I would say this is a high estimate. I'm
actually out of pocket about C$50 for my Bianchi, what with scrounging, parts reallocation, and
including some relatively unnecessary upgrades (replaced seat with slightly nicer seat. New seat
cost me C$2 on Boxing Day).
Bike scrounging is not for everyone, but I think it's worth knowing what the real costs and issues
are when you get into this stuff.
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousineOpen ↗ President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club