Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Help - '04 Giant TCR-3

Started by Sonarrat · · Last activity · 6 posts · 617 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 June 2004
Last activity
22 June 2004
Original author
Sonarrat
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
617
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I currently ride an '01 GT ZR 4.0 and I'm looking to move up to
    something lighter, with a carbon-fiber fork, equivalent to the old ZR
    3.0. I wandered into a local bike shop and saw two new Giant TCR-3's
    next to last year's TCR-2.

    The '04 TCR-3 no longer appears on the Giant website, leading me to
    believe it has been discontinued, and I can't find its full
    specifications anywhere. The owner of the store told me that last
    year's TCR-2 had a steel fork, but the last TCR-3's have a
    carbon-fiber fork, and it certainly looked and felt like it to me. If
    this is true then the list price is a screaming bargain and I would be
    an idiot to pass it up, but if that isn't true, or if there's some
    other catch, then I would rather pay more to get what I want.

    Any specifications, such as sizing, weight, measurements, and
    materials used in the '04 TCR-3 will be highly appreciated by myself
    and, I suspect, by anyone else looking into entry-level road bikes.

    TIA,

    -Sonarrat.

  2. Sonarrat said:

    I currently ride an '01 GT ZR 4.0 and I'm looking to move up to
    something lighter, with a carbon-fiber fork, equivalent to the old ZR
    3.. I wandered into a local bike shop and saw two new Giant TCR-3's next
    to last year's TCR-2.
    The '04 TCR-3 no longer appears on the Giant website, leading me to
    believe it has been discontinued, and I can't find its full
    specifications anywhere. The owner of the store told me that last year's
    TCR-2 had a steel fork, but the last TCR-3's have a carbon-fiber fork,
    and it certainly looked and felt like it to me. If this is true then the
    list price is a screaming bargain and I would be an idiot to pass it up,
    but if that isn't true, or if there's some other catch, then I would
    rather pay more to get what I want.
    Any specifications, such as sizing, weight, measurements, and materials
    used in the '04 TCR-3 will be highly appreciated by myself and, I
    suspect, by anyone else looking into entry-level road bikes.
    TIA,
    -Sonarrat.

    Yo! Me from Singapore. See this... Just went down to the shop this
    afternoon to test ride the TCR3... cool ride 😎

    http://www.taycycle.com.sg/bike_giant_tcr3.htm

    also see this thread.. another interested in the TCR3
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t131171.html

    ENJOY!! 😄

    --

  3. I'm pretty sure that the TCR2 always came with a carbon fork...at least here
    in the US.

    "Sonarrat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I currently ride an '01 GT ZR 4.0 and I'm looking to move up to
    something lighter, with a carbon-fiber fork, equivalent to the old ZR
    3.0. I wandered into a local bike shop and saw two new Giant TCR-3's
    next to last year's TCR-2.

    The '04 TCR-3 no longer appears on the Giant website, leading me to
    believe it has been discontinued, and I can't find its full
    specifications anywhere. The owner of the store told me that last
    year's TCR-2 had a steel fork, but the last TCR-3's have a
    carbon-fiber fork, and it certainly looked and felt like it to me. If
    this is true then the list price is a screaming bargain and I would be
    an idiot to pass it up, but if that isn't true, or if there's some
    other catch, then I would rather pay more to get what I want.

    Any specifications, such as sizing, weight, measurements, and
    materials used in the '04 TCR-3 will be highly appreciated by myself
    and, I suspect, by anyone else looking into entry-level road bikes.

    TIA,

    -Sonarrat.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I'm pretty sure that the TCR2 always came with a carbon fork...at


    least here

    Quoted message said:

    in the US.

    My thoughts also, maybe the LBS was referring to the steerer tube. So
    last years TCR-2 having a carbon fork with steel steerer tube and the
    TCR-3 having a full carbon fork.

    "CL" <chetliew(-at_)comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm pretty sure that the TCR2 always came with a carbon fork...at


    least here

    Quoted message said:

    in the US.

    "Sonarrat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I currently ride an '01 GT ZR 4.0 and I'm looking to move up to
    something lighter, with a carbon-fiber fork, equivalent to the old


    ZR

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    3.0. I wandered into a local bike shop and saw two new Giant


    TCR-3's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    next to last year's TCR-2.

    The '04 TCR-3 no longer appears on the Giant website, leading me


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    believe it has been discontinued, and I can't find its full
    specifications anywhere. The owner of the store told me that last
    year's TCR-2 had a steel fork, but the last TCR-3's have a
    carbon-fiber fork, and it certainly looked and felt like it to me.


    If

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this is true then the list price is a screaming bargain and I


    would be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    an idiot to pass it up, but if that isn't true, or if there's some
    other catch, then I would rather pay more to get what I want.

    Any specifications, such as sizing, weight, measurements, and
    materials used in the '04 TCR-3 will be highly appreciated by


    myself

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and, I suspect, by anyone else looking into entry-level road


    bikes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    TIA,

    -Sonarrat.

  5. Quoted message said:

    "Sonarrat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    specifications anywhere. The owner of the store told me that last
    year's TCR-2 had a steel fork, but the last TCR-3's have a


    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:08:57 -0700, "CL" <chetliew(-at_)comcast.net>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm pretty sure that the TCR2 always came with a carbon fork...at least here
    in the US.

    My 2001 TCR2's fork has carbon fiber legs and aluminum steer tube.
    http://www.tinyurl.com/jweb (Giant's 2001 TCR2 product page)
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Ronald said:

    My thoughts also, maybe the LBS was referring to the steerer tube. So
    last years TCR-2 having a carbon fork with steel steerer tube and the
    TCR-3 having a full carbon fork.

    I'd be concerned with a carbon fiber steer tube; overtightening the
    stem could crush it. I'd hate to have to worry about getting my stem
    torque exactly perfect (or to have to trust the mechanic to do so).

    I could be wrong. If so, somebody will reply...
    --
    Rick Onanian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.