UK and Europe · Public discussion

Helmet report response

Started by Just Zis Guy · · Last activity · 46 posts · 2,327 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 May 2003
Last activity
1 June 2003
Original author
Just Zis Guy
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,327
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–46 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 20 May 2003 12:43:37 -0700 someone who may be
    [email hidden] (Lin) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    Can you prove the DTI and the researchers acted in bad faith and had a hidden agenda in
    commissioning the report?

    Unfortunately there is no real freedom of information in the UK. Thus one must adopt Kremlinology in
    order to try and work out what went on in the minds of those concerned.

    Quoted message said:

    It's bad tactics to [censored] Ministers and DTI when they are the decision makers you need to
    influence.

    Only if one believes that they are susceptible to reasoned argument. In the case of cycle helmets,
    like car seat belts before, it is clear that they are not.

    Quoted message said:

    But since it was published as a research paper on DTI's website, it is, technically and
    descriptively, a research paper.

    A research paper describes research, which involves some novel investigation. Choosing papers that
    support a pre-decided view while ignoring their flaws is not how a research paper is produced.

    Such an exercise cannot be made into a research paper by the assertions of a government department,
    no matter how loud or long these assertions are.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  2. Lin said:

    it should be two pages of A4 maximum.

    Good advice, but remarkably difficult to follow.

    I'll usually try to keep a letter below one page of A4. This time I tried to keep it below 2, and I
    eventually managed it (excluding references). It wasn't easy though, and I don't think I've ever
    spent quite so much time drafting a letter.

    Anyway, here's the result: speedy5.freeserve.co.ukdft01.html

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  3. Excellent stuff Danny, is it ok if I crib a word or two?

    I must point out that I think your language is too conciliatory, and since it is now obvious that
    the DfT has no intention of abiding by any "rules" "truth" or "logic" my language will be just as
    considered, but somewhat more blunt. We have suffered these fools long enough, time to kick ass.

    "Danny Colyer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lin said:

    it should be two pages of A4 maximum.

    Good advice, but remarkably difficult to follow.

    I'll usually try to keep a letter below one page of A4. This time I tried to keep it below 2, and
    I eventually managed it (excluding references). It wasn't easy though, and I don't think I've ever
    spent quite so much time drafting a letter.

    Anyway, here's the result: speedy5.freeserve.co.ukdft01.html

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  4. Quoted message said:

    I must point out that I think your language is too conciliatory, and since it is now obvious that
    the DfT has no intention of abiding by any "rules" "truth" or "logic" my language will be just as
    considered, but somewhat more blunt. We have suffered these fools long enough, time to kick ass.

    Which the CTC is now doing, although I haven't yet read the letter enclosed with their magazine,
    just arrived in the post.

    It looks as if the London Cycling Campaign will join in.

    Comments should be sent where it matters, I guess. Here, it's just preaching to the choir.

    Jeremy Parker

  5. Richard Burton said:

    Excellent stuff Danny, is it ok if I crib a word or two?

    Of course, thanks. I would ask that people don't copy too much of it verbatim, since we don't
    want them getting lots of identical letters, but then you're an experienced enough campaigner to
    know that.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  6. Richard Burton said:

    I think your language is too conciliatory, and since it is now obvious that the DfT has no
    intention of abiding by any "rules" "truth" or "logic" my language will be just as considered, but
    somewhat more blunt.

    There is not much point, as has been said earlier, in implying bad faith or a hidden agenda on the
    part of the Department - to do so might be actionable, so I urge caution. A good hint from Lin was
    to ask specific questions, to which they should then provide an answer.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.