Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Heart Rate Monitors

Started by Brendo · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
16 July 2007
Last activity
19 July 2007
Original author
Brendo
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Brendo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When buying a HRM do you look for a bicycle HRM (that does speed,
    cadence, etc) or would you rather have two devices, one for bike info,
    one for HR info?

    I already have the bike computer, so I figure that buying a HRM that
    does those things as well is just wasting money.

    Looking at a Polar F6 (rrp $249). Are there dodgy brands to look out
    for? Reasonable $$ to spend?

    I got a polar S150 from a company called scalesgalore.com on the web. It has
    been great and in over 4 years of use only the watch part needed a battery
    change.

    Fraser

  2. On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Brendo said:

    I can find a Garmin Edge 205 on eBay for less that the RRP of the
    Polar F6. It comes from the US or UK, but for the price of the goods
    and an Australian A/C adapter, I'm still in front.

    Quoted message said:

    Mmmmm ... eBay.

    Quoted message said:

    Brendo

    I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
    it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
    Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.

    --
    MikeyOz

    Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
    monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
    And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
    mortgage.

    So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
    go.

    Thankyou all for your thoughts.

    Brendo

  3. Brendo said:

    On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Brendo said:

    I can find a Garmin Edge 205 on eBay for less that the RRP of the
    Polar F6. It comes from the US or UK, but for the price of the goods
    and an Australian A/C adapter, I'm still in front.
    Mmmmm ... eBay.
    Brendo


    I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
    it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
    Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.

    --
    MikeyOz

    Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
    monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
    And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
    mortgage.

    So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
    go.

    Thankyou all for your thoughts.

    Brendo

    As mentioned by someone somewhere else, the 305 edge calorie reading is
    done by displaced distance and altitude, not heart rate. So if I'm
    busting my gut paddling my canoe at 10km/h, the edge calorie meter
    thinks I've done bugger all because it assumes I've rolled along a dead
    flat road at 10km/h.

    Dorfus

  4. Dorfus Dippintush said:
    Brendo said:

    On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    Brendo Wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I can find a Garmin Edge 205 on eBay for less that the RRP of the
    > Polar F6. It comes from the US or UK, but for the price of the goods
    > and an Australian A/C adapter, I'm still in front.
    > Mmmmm ... eBay.
    > Brendo
    I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
    it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
    Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    MikeyOz

    Quoted message said:

    Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
    monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
    And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
    mortgage.

    Quoted message said:

    So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
    go.

    Quoted message said:

    Thankyou all for your thoughts.

    Quoted message said:

    Brendo

    As mentioned by someone somewhere else, the 305 edge calorie reading is
    done by displaced distance and altitude, not heart rate. So if I'm
    busting my gut paddling my canoe at 10km/h, the edge calorie meter
    thinks I've done bugger all because it assumes I've rolled along a dead
    flat road at 10km/h.

    Dorfus

    You mean it's telling you to harden the [censored] up ;-)

  5. Dorfus Dippintush said:
    Brendo said:

    On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    Brendo Wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I can find a Garmin Edge 205 on eBay for less that the RRP of the
    > Polar F6. It comes from the US or UK, but for the price of the goods
    > and an Australian A/C adapter, I'm still in front.
    > Mmmmm ... eBay.
    > Brendo
    I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
    it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
    Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    MikeyOz

    Quoted message said:

    Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
    monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
    And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
    mortgage.

    Quoted message said:

    So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
    go.

    Quoted message said:

    Thankyou all for your thoughts.

    Quoted message said:

    Brendo

    As mentioned by someone somewhere else, the 305 edge calorie reading is
    done by displaced distance and altitude, not heart rate. So if I'm
    busting my gut paddling my canoe at 10km/h, the edge calorie meter
    thinks I've done bugger all because it assumes I've rolled along a dead
    flat road at 10km/h.

    heartrate isn't a terribly good way to work out energy used either,
    it's essentially a random number, in the context of polar (or other)
    HRMs.

  6. Bleve said:


    heartrate isn't a terribly good way to work out energy used either,
    it's essentially a random number, in the context of polar (or other)
    HRMs.

    yeah good one.....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.