Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Heart Rate, am I pushing myself too far

Started by Grant · · Last activity · 13 posts · 592 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
26 September 2004
Last activity
30 September 2004
Original author
Grant
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
592
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am 43 years old, and feel pretty fit, I ride around 100 km's a week.
    I am always pushing myself, and today I hit 185 on my Polar HR monitor
    sprinting up a very steep short hill.

    Does this make my maximum HR 185 ?
    As it should be 177 ( 220 - age )

    My friend told me I will kill myself, is he right ?

    I always ride at around 75% of my Max HR for over an hour or so.
    Am I risking anything ?
    Please give me some advice before I kill myself like my friend says ?

  2. "Grant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am 43 years old, and feel pretty fit, I ride around 100 km's a week.
    I am always pushing myself, and today I hit 185 on my Polar HR monitor
    sprinting up a very steep short hill.

    Does this make my maximum HR 185 ?

    Yes, possibly higher.

    Quoted message said:

    As it should be 177 ( 220 - age )

    This has been explained MANY times in the last month.
    That formula is a ROUGH estimate. It is at least 5bpm
    off for me.

    Quoted message said:

    My friend told me I will kill myself, is he right ?

    You are typing this question.. the effort can't have been
    'too' fatal ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I always ride at around 75% of my Max HR for over
    an hour or so. Am I risking anything ?
    Please give me some advice before I kill myself like my friend says ?

    If you are worried.. see a doctor. We are just bike forum
    geeks and I at least am not qualified to make any decisions
    about your fitness. Having said that, the human body is pretty
    bloody good at protecting itself. If you are fit it is quite likely
    that you can exceed the 'formula of confusion' safely. Your
    body should conk out before you kill yourself.. but, hey, it's
    fun trying, right? I can think of worse ways to go.

    hippy

  3. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> "Grant" == Grant <[email hidden]> writes:

    Grant> Does this make my maximum HR 185 ? As it should be 177 ( 220
    Grant> - age )

    Your Max HR is exactly that, the maximum you can get your heart up to.
    If you can get it up to 185 then that's your max. The maths is just a
    best guess finger in the wind estimate.

    Grant> My friend told me I will kill myself, is he right ?

    Grant> I always ride at around 75% of my Max HR for over an hour or
    Grant> so. Am I risking anything ? Please give me some advice
    Grant> before I kill myself like my friend says ?

    That depends. If you tried to sustain Max HR then you probably will do
    yourself damage. Think of your Max HR as the fastest your engine can
    go. The red line is a bit below that. You drive a car red lining all
    the time, same with the body.

    For fitness purposes there is little reason to go in to the 90% + range
    unless you are seeking competitive improvement in speed etc. I'm not a
    competitive cyclist, just a bog standard commuter and not a particularly
    fast one at that. Basically I ride hard Monday and Thursday although
    rarely get above 85% Max HR, the rest of the week I stay below 70% to
    avoid over training.

    Must be doing something right, resting HR is 42.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That depends. If you tried to sustain Max HR then you probably will do
    yourself damage. Think of your Max HR as the fastest your engine can
    go. The red line is a bit below that. You drive a car red lining all
    the time, same with the body.

    Kinda, but you can't do HRmax efforts all the time. So,
    imagine the car above had a rev limiter. Have you tried
    sprinting, flat out for 10secs? Right then wait 10secs and
    do it again.. and again.. and again.. etc. Unless you have
    super legs, you will tire and should find that your max for
    each effort will be lower than the previous (well, it'll go
    up at first until you actually run out of juice). This is why
    I figure it's hard to do damage whilst trying to attain
    HRmax. Maybe with older dudes/dudettes there are
    other issues (dodgy ticker, etc) but I thought the body
    will cut out before self-destruction?

    hippy

  5. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Grant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    As it should be 177 ( 220 - age )

    This has been explained MANY times in the last month.
    That formula is a ROUGH estimate. It is at least 5bpm
    off for me.


    My max has been pretty much the same for at least 12 years. In fact, there
    was a long period in between when I thought it was a few bpm lower, but I'm
    attributing that to overtraining, as I can now hit 193 again in an all out
    effort. Therefore, I conclude that I have stopped aging ;-)

    Jeff

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> "hippy" == hippy <[email hidden]> writes:

    hippy> <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    hippy> news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That depends. If you tried to sustain Max HR then you probably
    will do yourself damage. Think of your Max HR as the fastest
    your engine can go. The red line is a bit below that. You drive
    a car red lining all the time, same with the body.

    hippy> Kinda, but you can't do HRmax efforts all the time. So,
    hippy> imagine the car above had a rev limiter. Have you tried
    hippy> sprinting, flat out for 10secs?

    Sorry, meant to write "you _can't_ red line a car all the time, same
    with your body."
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jeff Jones' jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com said:

    Therefore, I conclude that I have stopped aging

    And we all know when that happens...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  8. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe with older dudes/dudettes there are
    other issues (dodgy ticker, etc) but I thought the body
    will cut out before self-destruction?

    You don't have to be old to die of a dodgy ticker - my grandfather died of a
    heart attack at 35 years (tell a doctor that and they start fitting you up
    for a casket).

    If you have any family history of cardiac disease get a full cardiac work up
    done before you stress the heart - the best way to find out you have heart
    problems is during the stress test in the hospital, not when you have a
    heart attack in traffic at 40kms per hour.

  9. "Shane Stanley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jeff Jones' jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com said:

    Therefore, I conclude that I have stopped aging

    And we all know when that happens...


    Yep. You probably won't see me posting anything for a while.

    (the spirit of) Jeff

  10. No worries. I am 45 and thought my max was 220-45=175. Only occasionally hit
    175 so figured it was my max. Cycling 150-250k per week. Then on one ride I
    raced another cyclist up a hill and was clearly at my max in the last 400m.
    Checked my monitor later on the PC and saw 185!!! I was stoked.

    Just because you cycle "hard" for a period doesn't mean you have tested your
    max limits. Try a hill with moderate slope (10 mins) steadily steepening
    and steadily increase your effort until you are clearly about to blow up.

    "Grant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am 43 years old, and feel pretty fit, I ride around 100 km's a week.
    I am always pushing myself, and today I hit 185 on my Polar HR monitor
    sprinting up a very steep short hill.

    Does this make my maximum HR 185 ?
    As it should be 177 ( 220 - age )

    My friend told me I will kill myself, is he right ?

    I always ride at around 75% of my Max HR for over an hour or so.
    Am I risking anything ?
    Please give me some advice before I kill myself like my friend says ?

  11. richie said:

    No worries. I am 45 and thought my max was 220-45=175. Only occasionally hit
    175 so figured it was my max. Cycling 150-250k per week. Then on one ride I
    raced another cyclist up a hill and was clearly at my max in the last 400m.
    Checked my monitor later on the PC and saw 185!!! I was stoked.

    Just because you cycle "hard" for a period doesn't mean you have tested your
    max limits. Try a hill with moderate slope (10 mins) steadily steepening
    and steadily increase your effort until you are clearly about to blow up.


    Watch out for an exploding cyclist at a hill near you.

  12. "richie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No worries. I am 45 and thought my max was 220-45=175. Only occasionally


    hit

    Quoted message said:

    175 so figured it was my max. Cycling 150-250k per week. Then on one ride


    I

    Quoted message said:

    raced another cyclist up a hill and was clearly at my max in the last


    400m.

    Quoted message said:

    Checked my monitor later on the PC and saw 185!!! I was stoked.

    Just because you cycle "hard" for a period doesn't mean you have tested


    your

    Quoted message said:

    max limits. Try a hill with moderate slope (10 mins) steadily steepening
    and steadily increase your effort until you are clearly about to blow up.

    ...and even that wont necessarily get your max. I've
    always got higher HR's just after a sprint in a race.
    Crits are good because they are fairly high tempo
    but long enough to get a bit of HR creep up. The
    final sprint is usually after an even faster pace so
    you're right up there and then there's the adrenalin
    kick and the fight for a win that forces you into
    new HR zones :-)
    Climbing hills and especially riding alone never
    seems to get the HR to 'max' for me.

    hippy

  13. hippy said:

    Climbing hills and especially riding alone never
    seems to get the HR to 'max' for me.

    hippy

    That first short hill on Sunday's (think it's Old Warrandyte Rd),
    without fail gets me to 174 or 175 BPM which is only about 2 off my
    highest ever at the end of a tri. On that final rise on the climb out of
    Warrandyte, where I feel like I'm about to collapse, I always check to
    see if I've broken 180 only to find it is around 165. I think the
    difference is that on the first hill the muscles are fresh and the only
    limiter is the heart so I get it up to 170+ without feeling that bad.
    Whereas on the second one my muscles are tired and they are the limiter.

    DaveB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.