Headphones & Cycling?

Very dangerous! I have tried cycling while listening to music two times, and, while I thought that I could hear what was happening around me, both times I was almost ran over by a car.

bisearoet said:
As I get into cycling, I've been wondering if it's safe to have earphones in whilst cycling.

What are some of your opinions as you are all more experienced than me?
Since you asked. The more senses available while riding a 20-30 lb unstable, 2 wheeled, COMPLETELY exposed vehicle on the the same pathways as completely ENCLOSED 4000 lb, stable, 4 wheeled vehicles would seem to be self-explanatory. Use your buds in your living room or while on public transportation.

I've got a set of beats by dr. dre. Listening to T.I.'s Rubber Band Man as I post this. From the comfort and safety of my couch...

Catsyo said:
Deaf people can totally ride bikes if they take extra precautions like having mirrors. They're also used to being deaf so they're used to not being able to hear what's going on around them. The problem with the analogy is you are CHOOSING to put yourself at a disadvantage by wearing headphones. You're riding on a road with giant, heavy vehicles made of metal that are constantly driving around you. If an accident happens, you're likely going to be worse off than the car. Why would you put yourself at a disadvantage like that?
Here is the problem. "if they take extra precautions like having mirrors". Mirrors should be mandatory for all cyclist all the time, not some extra precaution. Secondly, I do not feel or see my self at a disadvantage, in fact I know that I have the advantage over those in cars. Everything we do in life has some sort of risk, safely riding a bicycle with or without ear buds has a low risk factor, or at least that has been my experience in commuting/ utility cycling daily/ all year for the last 4+ years. I do not live my life in fear of "what if". If it is too risky I do not do it. Always use rear view mirrors, always obey traffic laws, be aware of your surroundings at all times and ride defensively.

welshdude3 said:
Since you asked. The more senses available while riding a 20-30 lb unstable, 2 wheeled, COMPLETELY exposed vehicle on the the same pathways as completely ENCLOSED 4000 lb, stable, 4 wheeled vehicles would seem to be self-explanatory. Use your buds in your living room or while on public transportation.

I've got a set of beats by dr. dre. Listening to T.I.'s Rubber Band Man as I post this. From the comfort and safety of my couch...
Oh my, sitting on a couch giving advice to a bicycling forum. Have you heard the expression "Hills hurt and couches kill"? Its all good:), And I mean you no disrespect.
TI rubber band man? really? and you admit it? You need to at least to some classic like the spinners rubber band man.

Uawadall said:
Horrible logic, a deaf person has a disadvantage that they can't do anything about. They must live with this and learn to compensate in order to use their other sense as good as possible. Signs are put up to indicate that a deaf child is in a neighborhood, seems to me that you are trying to justify a bad habit and encouraging a new rider to do the same. Simply put, no one is saying that you will get into an accident instantly from music, but it is more likely and on the road, you are(as a cyclist) already at a disadvantage. Wearing headphones is just as bad as not wearing a helmet. Also, although many claim to be able to hear with headphones, it cuts your range of hearing drastically.
Just as bad as not wearing a helmet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqaAIkGtpA

2 Piece said:
The Netherlands is one of the most bike promoted/friendly countries in the world, not exctly the typical situation in the United States and other countries. Also, just as you can link that video, I can find many on youtube of people busting their heads in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxOeKwVVCVg

see how that works...

If you think its okay to do it yourself, thats one thing,but why give bad advice to a newbie of all people? I think being new to cycling their will be enough challenges without taking away useful senses.

I never said I did not wear a helmet, this is a thread about ear buds. But on another note I do wear a helmet when I am around the house doing things, especially when I use the bathroom and take a shower. Odds are about 10 times more likely of injury and death when compared to riding a bicycle.

Reactions: welshdude3
2 Piece said:
Oh my, sitting on a couch giving advice to a bicycling forum. Have you heard the expression "Hills hurt and couches kill"? Its all good:), And I mean you no disrespect.

TI rubber band man? really? and you admit it? You need to at least to some classic like the spinners rubber band man.
Wow. A misinterpretation of sarcasm on a cycling forum? Thought using the poor man's wit would hit the target demo. Sorry, my bad. I'll shoot a little lower next time so you're able to slice through your own thickness.
Disrespect? To take umbrage would imply I respect your opinion. Hills? I live in Pittsburgh. Home of the Dirty Dozen. 5 times completed. Never heard of it? Www.dannychew.com Enuff said.
Couch? Recovery is as important as effort, yes? Musical taste advice? On a cycling forum? From a total stranger? It's obvious you think WAY too much of yourself. Oh, and I mean you PLENTY of disrespect. You've earned it.

2 Piece said:
I never said I did not wear a helmet, this is a thread about ear buds. But on another note I do wear a helmet when I am around the house doing things, especially when I use the bathroom and take a shower. Odds are about 10 times more likely of injury and death when compared to riding a bicycle.
Part of me is saying to myself "just let this guy have his opinion" and the other part is saying "he wouldn't care if the OP got mangled from his horrible advice".

Uawadall said:
Part of me is saying to myself "just let this guy have his opinion" and the other part is saying "he wouldn't care if the OP got mangled from his horrible advice".
I would absolutely care and be very concerned if he did get hurt whether or not he was wearing ear buds. There is no logic as to why a cyclist needs to hear what is around him as opposed to using a rear view mirror and see what is around him. If hearing was such a safety concern, cars would have rear mounted microphones to here what was coming.

Some days no headphones, some days sick loud bass drops, it's all about situational awareness.

If you want to used headphones by traveling then I recommend you best headphones for nose Cancelling, You can even adjust the amplification effect according to your needs and carry on clear conversations with your teammates and range officers all the while being protected from the loud barks of the gun going off around you.

You can still hear whats going on around you if you have earphones in or not.

You'll be alright as long as at least one of your ears is exposed. Only those states have regulations prohibiting you from listening to music while riding a bike. I believe some of these will be useful for safety listening to music while bike or running after first. One earbud should be left out. Try bone conduction headphones instead of noise-canceling earphones, and keep the volume down.

I do cycle with a headphone, an earbud ( single) Is to hear the Garmin prompts nothing else.
Am grateful for the coarse road texture around my area. Is not a quality surface. Is slurry seal.

Why, is that the rough road surface helps you hear cars esp electric - hybrid. The tires make much more noise on slurry than on a nice rolled asphalt. Esp on my street blind corner , you can hear the tires of a car going 25-30 MPH before you see the vehicle. The slurry unfit for skating IMHO. if you like to skate too.

Didn't discover Samsung ear buds till last year. I will use them on the bike path as there aren't many cyclists around, mayb 5 that I cross but I can still hear.

But on the road with vehicular traffic, I prefer to go without. I like to hear EVERYTHING around me.

Hey there! It's great to hear about your love for cycling and your interest in peloton dynamics and team strategies. When it comes to road cycling and effective communication, staying aware of your surroundings is definitely key. I completely agree with your decision to go without ear buds on the road with vehicular traffic. Being able to hear everything around you is super important for your safety and the safety of others.

In terms of team-based cycling tactics, communication is crucial. Whether you're part of a peloton or riding in a group, clear and effective communication can help everyone stay organized and work together more efficiently. Things like hand signals, vocal cues, and even eye contact can all play a role in ensuring that everyone stays in sync and maintains a smooth and safe ride.

I'm curious, have you ever been involved in organizing cycling events? It would be interesting to hear your insights on how communication and strategies come into play during those situations. Keep riding strong and stay safe out there! :)