GRUENE, Texas (AFP) — Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong won the Tour of Gruene time-trial timing 33minutes 14seconds over the 26.6 kilometres route.
The 37-year-old - who sensationally announced earlier this year that he was returning to the saddle next season - was competing in the 35-39 age category and beat his nearest rival's best time by nearly three minutes and was 1min 43sec clear of the runner-up in all age categories.
Armstrong, who has been signed by the elite Astana team, has said he will compete in the Tour of Italy, but is yet to confirm whether he will race in the Tour de France.
The only win he has done without doping! He showed his real abilities.
Great news everyone. I crushed the entire field in a local race on the roads around Edinburgh. Shall I mention that I was the only competitor? Hey, it's still a crushing win, right? I mean, come on, no one else finished the course (or started). I crushed them! 🙄
Great news everyone. I crushed the entire field in a local race on the roads around Edinburgh. Shall I mention that I was the only competitor? Hey, it's still a crushing win, right? I mean, come on, no one else finished the course (or started). I crushed them! 🙄
Depends. Were you riding the 36-39 category like Lance ? Its a very competitive age group.
Depends. Were you riding the 36-39 category like Lance ? Its a very competitive age group.
I cannot believe VeloNews reported this.
Well wasn't this his first "road race" since his retirement? That would explain the media attention.
Comparing his time against the rest of the field is ridiculous, instead you could look at his avg speed - though the problem with that is that we don't know the conditions. Anyway, what was his avg. speed?
Well wasn't this his first "road race" since his retirement? That would explain the media attention.
Comparing his time against the rest of the field is ridiculous, instead you could look at his avg speed - though the problem with that is that we don't know the conditions. Anyway, what was his avg. speed?
It wouldn't surprise me if it's something 'Livestrong' part of the "negotiations with team owner/sponsors" that was talked of earlier after Armstrong's return was announced.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's something 'Livestrong' part of the "negotiations with team owner/sponsors" that was talked of earlier after Armstrong's return was announced.
Anything to get rid of those awful Astana kits would be good. The only kit worse is Cofidis.