General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Has Everybody Here Got All the Friends You Need?

Started by Star E . Avenue · · Last activity · 16 posts · 722 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 May 2004
Last activity
23 May 2004
Original author
Star E . Avenue
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
722
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi You All:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes. I
    have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions. It's
    not that they weren't good buddies it's our lifestyles are
    no longer compatible.

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here to
    local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Have most
    of you guys held on to your friends-- without a problem? Are
    there ANY people here interested in or, who might know of
    facilities and/or info., or resources with respect to
    finding folks *in their particular area* who might be going
    through similar health issues

    Appreciate Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)

  2. "Star E. Avenues" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi You All:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes.
    I have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our
    lifestyles are no longer compatible.

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here
    to local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Have
    most of you guys held on to your friends-- without a
    problem? Are there ANY people here interested in or, who
    might know of facilities and/or info., or resources with
    respect to finding folks *in their particular area* who
    might be going through similar health issues

    Appreciate Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)

    Hello Alex,

    Although this group seems to be going through a quiet
    patch right now, with many posts from scammers and trolls,
    and appropriate responses, a while ago it was getting over
    a hundred posts a day, dealing with every type of diabetes
    related question. I can say without any hesitation that
    over the ten yers or so I've been reading and posting
    here, I have met (in writing) people here for whom I
    developed a deep respect. I came to look at them as
    personal friends - friends whom I have never met
    personally and probably never will. The information I have
    gained here and the pointers I have received have provided
    me with information critical in the management of my
    diabetes - doubtlessly prolonging my life.

    As far as personal (face-to-face) friends.... well,
    unfortunately there is such a thing as "fair weather
    friends" - people who are the best of mates when things are
    going well, but who desert you when there is a hint of
    trouble. I am not sure why that is so. Possibly they don't
    like to hear anything negative. As it was with me, often
    when one is diagnosed the first reaction is "woe is me, I'm
    going to go blind; I'm going to die. etc. etc.", and you
    impart this to friend after friend. They may hate to hear
    things like that and soon prefer not to see you. I am not
    saying that is right. I have had friends in serious
    trouble; with terminal conditions, and I am happy to say
    that I did not abandon them when their need for friends was
    at its highest.

    To sum it up, in times of strife you soon find out who your
    true friends are.

    My recommendation - manage your diabetes meticulously (diet,
    excercise, medication, etc.), stay positive (there's still
    plenty to be positive about life, and you'll find friends -
    people who you never imagined would become your friends....

    I hope Guy posts in response to your letter. He is my beacon
    of light - a living proof of how you can master and live
    with your adversity. I am certain he has many friends.

    Henry Australia

  3. Star E. Avenues said this...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi You All:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes.
    I have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our
    lifestyles are no longer compatible.

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here
    to local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Have
    most of you guys held on to your friends-- without a
    problem? Are there ANY people here interested in or, who
    might know of facilities and/or info., or resources with
    respect to finding folks *in their particular area* who
    might be going through similar health issues

    Appreciate Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)


    Only a small comment, but real friends would adapt with your
    changing lifestyle. If they can't do that then they were
    probably a little shallow in the first place.

    I found that after diagnosis my true mates took my changes
    in their stride, and I met lots of new faces both on and
    offline. The genuine old friends were the ones who took an
    interest, the new ones were people who I genuinely had
    something in common with.

    As one door closes another opens.

    Ratty
    --
    Now with 64 bit stupidity

    www.flyingrat.net

  4. Star E. Avenues said:

    Hi You All:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes. I
    have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our lifestyles
    are no longer compatible.

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here to
    local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Have
    most of you guys held on to your friends-- without a
    problem? Are there ANY people here interested in or, who
    might know of facilities and/or info., or resources with
    respect to finding folks *in their particular area* who
    might be going through similar health issues

    Appreciate Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)

    Hi Alex

    Oddly enough, you'd be surprised at the number of perfect
    strangers who have chatted with me as soon as I test in
    public. I don't make a display of it, but I don't hide it
    either. On a recent train trip, it led to a long discussion
    with my travelling companion on the way down to Sydney; he
    turned out to be T2 but had never used a meter.

    On the way back, the lady who had sat beside me without
    speaking for an hour suddenly started chatting about her
    husband, also a T2, when she saw the meter.

    At a recent function, the lady next to me was T1. I hadn't
    used my meter this time - she noticed that she and I were
    eating salad when everyone else was eating the pizza; and
    so it goes.

    Not that I suggest you should cultivate a circle of friends
    who are exclusively diabetics; I simply wonder why you
    should think it would reduce rather than expand your circle
    of friends. You have some new conversation pieces. And, as
    others have mentioned, true friends will remain.

    Now, if you really want to lose friends, borrow money from
    them, or even worse, lend it.

    A final point; I did strain some friendships when I started
    boring them to death with advice on diet and exercise after
    I started to lose weight and gain control. When they give
    you a compliment, accept it gracefully, without telling them
    exactly how you did it. I'm sure you'd never do that, but I
    was a little slow to learn.

    That's why I come here and bore you lot to death instead:-)

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  5. Star E. Avenues said:

    Hi You All: Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of
    friends since I've *changed my life style on account of
    diabetes.

    I think you need to redefine what you mean by friends. I
    believe that a real 'Friend' in every sense of the meaning
    of the word, is a rare and valuable thing. If you have just
    a handful in a lifetime then you are indeed a lucky person.
    A true friend will not desert you and those you percieve as
    'friends' who are not there just because you changed your
    lifestyle IMO are not friends at all. Perhaps they would be
    better described as 'neighbours' or associates.

    Quoted message said:

    I have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our
    lifestyles are no longer compatible.

    IME lifestyle compatability - as you call it - is one of the
    defining parameters determining a true friendship. Those I
    considered 'friends' before diabetes are still friends and
    there are one or two whose lifestyle by comparrison to mine
    is at the opposite end of the scale. There are thos ho are
    geographically distantfor most of the time but every now and
    then we meet up when we are able and all is as if there has
    been no time inbetween.

    I have noticed in my local area, that there are those in my
    community who are more curious about me than before. I look
    different since loosing weight and those that notice did so
    because of the rapid change and that I still keep the weight
    off. They notice out of envy I think.

    My lifestyle hasn't altered that much in other peoples
    perception. The only change is in my diet which has no
    impact on my activities, other than I am always on the go
    doing something. I recently renovated some old furniture and
    did so in my garage [[censored] weather] everyone who passed
    noticed and a few commented. One thing that is noticed is
    that I can be seen walking all over the place and in all
    weathers. If anything, they notice that I am fitter and
    improved from what they percieved before.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here to
    local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Have
    most of you guys held on to your friends-- without a
    problem? Are there ANY people here interested in or, who
    might know of facilities and/or info., or resources with
    respect to finding folks *in their particular area* who
    might be going through similar health issues Appreciate
    Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)

    I prefer not to associate with other diabetics socially and
    would never consider seeking a friendship from a group of
    diabetics specifically. To do so is to encapsulate myself in
    other peoples misery. It is a form of predjudice in reverse
    - self isolating.

    If you need support and help in your condition then that is
    altogether a different thing IMO and it may be that a decent
    friendship can develop from that but again, I think you need
    to define your perceptions a little, it might make your
    goals a little clearer and easier to achieve. There are a
    lot of healthy people out there who are desperately lonely
    as well as those who have health issues. IMO looking for
    what you need exclusively in one group will only reduce the
    possibilities of success.

    HTH

    Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide MR
    + Asprin 210 lbs at Dx to 170 lbs 02/08/03 target 161 mail:
    aspen at freeuk.com.

  6. On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:09:33 -0400, Star E. Avenues
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Howdy Alex,

    Quoted message said:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes. I
    have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our lifestyles
    are no longer compatible.

    Not really sure what you mean by your lifestyles no longer
    being compatible. In my case I eexercise more than I did
    before I was dx'ed, I eat better than before I was dx'ed,
    and so far still do all of the things I was doing before,
    work, hobbies and the like, and have the same friends I had
    before I was dx'ed as after.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal.

    Most of my friends either don't have computers or work in a
    computer related field or use them at work, when they get
    home they want nothing to do with a computer. So all we have
    is upclose and personal, even if it's only a phone call.

    Quoted message said:

    Have most of you guys held on to your >friends-- without a
    problem?

    Pretty much in my case I would have to say yes. Over the
    years before I was dx'ed with diabetes, I made a choice to
    only call people my "friends" if I and they invested a lot
    into the relationship, and everyone else? Well their really
    just acquaintances, most neighbors, people I work with/for,
    and those you people you see every day, but do little more
    than smile and say good morning to.

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen no reference here to local groups or, that
    doesn't seem to be an issue.

    Quoted message said:

    Are there ANY people here interested in or, who might know
    of facilities and/or info., or resources with respect to
    finding folks *in their particular area* who might be going
    through similar health issues

    It's been mentioned many times, about finding local support
    groups, for those that feel they need them. Checking with
    the local chapter of the ADA (www.diabetes.org) and typing
    in your zip code, will result is finding many local to you
    resources, including support groups. (of course depending on
    where you live, there may be many options or very few).

    Contacting your local hospitals and clinics for info on
    finding and attending local support groups or others in the
    area near you that are dealing with similar health issues.
    --
    Type 2 - Dx'ed 11/2001
    Stopped Metformin 2003
    Now D&E, A1c 5.2

  7. On Sun, 16 May 2004 12:04:00 +1000, "hemyd" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Star E. Avenues" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi You All:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes.
    I have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our
    lifestyles are no longer compatible.

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here
    to local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue.
    Have most of you guys held on to your friends-- without a
    problem? Are there ANY people here interested in or, who
    might know of facilities and/or info., or resources with
    respect to finding folks *in their particular area* who
    might be going through similar health issues

    Appreciate Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)

    Hello Alex,

    Although this group seems to be going through a quiet
    patch right now, with many posts from scammers and trolls,
    and appropriate responses, a while ago it was getting over
    a hundred posts a day, dealing with every type of diabetes
    related question. I can say without any hesitation that
    over the ten yers or so I've been reading and posting
    here, I have met (in writing) people here for whom I
    developed a deep respect. I came to look at them as
    personal friends - friends whom I have never met
    personally and probably never will. The information I have
    gained here and the pointers I have received have provided
    me with information critical in the management of my
    diabetes - doubtlessly prolonging my life.

    As far as personal (face-to-face) friends.... well,
    unfortunately there is such a thing as "fair weather
    friends" - people who are the best of mates when things are
    going well, but who desert you when there is a hint of
    trouble. I am not sure why that is so. Possibly they don't
    like to hear anything negative. As it was with me, often
    when one is diagnosed the first reaction is "woe is me, I'm
    going to go blind; I'm going to die. etc. etc.", and you
    impart this to friend after friend. They may hate to hear
    things like that and soon prefer not to see you. I am not
    saying that is right. I have had friends in serious
    trouble; with terminal conditions, and I am happy to say
    that I did not abandon them when their need for friends was
    at its highest.

    To sum it up, in times of strife you soon find out who your
    true friends are.

    My recommendation - manage your diabetes meticulously
    (diet, excercise, medication, etc.), stay positive (there's
    still plenty to be positive about life, and you'll find
    friends - people who you never imagined would become your
    friends....

    I hope Guy posts in response to your letter. He is my
    beacon of light - a living proof of how you can master and
    live with your adversity. I am certain he has many friends.

    Henry Australia

    Hey - and just occasionally we also meet in the flesh :-) Hi
    to Henry and Ozgirl (waving)..

    Of course, if you do that, make sure you check their bags
    for axes and chainsaws as they arrive.

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  8. Alan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Hi Alex

    Oddly enough, you'd be surprised at the number of perfect
    strangers who have chatted with me as soon as I test in
    public. I don't make a display of it, but I don't hide it
    either. On a recent train trip, it led to a long
    discussion with my travelling companion on the way down to
    Sydney; he turned out to be T2 but had never used a meter.

    On the way back, the lady who had sat beside me without
    speaking for an hour suddenly started chatting about her
    husband, also a T2, when she saw the meter.

    At a recent function, the lady next to me was T1. I hadn't
    used my meter this time - she noticed that she and I were
    eating salad when everyone else was eating the pizza; and
    so it goes.

    Not that I suggest you should cultivate a circle of
    friends who are exclusively diabetics; I simply wonder why
    you should think it would reduce rather than expand your
    circle of friends. You have some new conversation pieces.
    And, as others have mentioned, true friends will remain.

    Now, if you really want to lose friends, borrow money from
    them, or even worse, lend it.

    A final point; I did strain some friendships when I
    started boring them to death with advice on diet and
    exercise after I started to lose weight and gain control.
    When they give you a compliment, accept it gracefully,
    without telling them exactly how you did it. I'm sure
    you'd never do that, but I was a little slow to learn.

    That's why I come here and bore you lot to death instead:-
    )

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
    to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

    I find that it is almost impossible to go anywhere without
    meeting someone, or hearing about one of their relatives,
    who have diabetes. In fact, it may sound odd, but I often
    find that talking about diabetes is a good icebreaker. You
    soon get involved in the management of diabetes of the
    person you met, or his/her husband, brother or uncle. Big
    exchange of information, and lots of tips about diets and
    excercise follow. Diabetes may very well be good for making
    friends....

    Henry Australia

  9. 16 May 2004 Pete said:

    There are thos ho are geographically distantfor most of the
    time but every now and then we meet up when we are able and
    all is as if there has been no time inbetween.

    Funny you should bring that up now - I've just made contact
    again with somebody after not seeing him for about 6 or 7
    years - I think we've spoken maybe twice in that time - and
    as with your example, we more or less carried on from where
    we left off .....

    --

    ]- "I am a man of many parts, ]- unfortunately most of them
    are no longer in stock" ]-
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------
    To reply by e-mail, move the Gnu from the address to the
    subject line.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------

  10. <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I find that it is almost impossible to go anywhere
    without meeting


    someone,

    Quoted message said:

    or hearing about one of their relatives, who have
    diabetes. In fact, it


    may

    Quoted message said:

    sound odd, but I often find that talking about diabetes is
    a good icebreaker. You soon get involved in the management
    of diabetes of the person you met, or his/her husband,
    brother or uncle. Big exchange of information, and lots of
    tips about diets and excercise follow. Diabetes


    may

    Quoted message said:

    very well be good for making friends....

    in fact, i was recently at a company departmental meeting
    when somehow the conversation turned to the topic of
    diabetes. turns out that, out of the 10 people at my table,
    9 people had a sibling, wife/husband or a parent that was
    diabetic. amazing - hugh ?

    --
    poorboy

    age 38 t2 diagnosed 4/2003
    D & E w/ 7.5 mg actos

  11. 16 May 2004 'hemyd said:

    I find that it is almost impossible to go anywhere without
    meeting someone, or hearing about one of their relatives,
    who have diabetes. In fact, it may

    I've never been shy about admitting my diabetic status, but
    I have become more reticent about it as the years have gone
    by .... simply because, as you say, "everybody" seems to
    have either a relative or a friend afflicted as well .... or
    rather, many of them *HAD* ..... and they just about all
    have horror stories, usually incorrectly attributed to the
    diabetes of the friend/family member, and they almost always
    know *exactly* how to deal with diabetes .... and in most
    cases they haven't the foggiest idea really ....... and no
    two of them really agree with each other ....

    I'm pleased if others have had a different experience in
    this regard, but mine left me seriously disillusioned about
    how much Joe Average knows about diabetes ...

    --

    ]- "I am a man of many parts, ]- unfortunately most of them
    are no longer in stock" ]-
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------
    To reply by e-mail, move the Gnu from the address to the
    subject line.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------

  12. "Star E. Avenues" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi You All:

    Am I the only guy who's needing a new circle of friends
    since I've *changed my life style on account of diabetes.
    I have all the classic stuff like circulation problems
    (recently lost a few toes) and the like, use a cane
    sometimes, and have all the usual dietary restrictions.
    It's not that they weren't good buddies it's our
    lifestyles are no longer compatible.

    I'm not big on the internet and not a computer guy but
    prefer upclose and personal. I've seen no reference here
    to local groups or, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Have
    most of you guys held on to your friends-- without a
    problem?

    Can't speak for anyone else, but I've not lost any
    friendsfrom my pre diabetic days, and I've gained a lot of
    new ones since I've been diabetic. Not diabetic friends
    either, although there are a few of those now.

    Are there ANY people here interested in

    Quoted message said:

    or, who might know of facilities and/or info., or
    resources with respect to finding folks *in their
    particular area* who might be going through similar
    health issues

    I'm not sure I understand. I would seek out help if I needed
    it, and I'd actively look for support if I needed it, but I
    don't look at diabetes as something that puts me in the
    "need help" bracket. Information is always useful and
    friends too, both of which are available, in fact some of
    the best people I know and some of the best information I've
    ever got have come from this group.

    Quoted message said:


    Appreciate Your Input, Alex (40 Year Old Diabetic Guy)

    Beav (a 55 year old one:-)

  13. On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:15:30 GMT, Hairy Antelope
    <[email hidden]> wrote: <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm pleased if others have had a different experience in
    this regard, but mine left me seriously disillusioned about
    how much Joe Average knows about diabetes ...

    <snip>

    Hardly surprising, considering how little the newbies
    appearing here know about it.

    Or some of the oldies as well :-)

    Or, unfortunately, some of our national dietary or diabeties
    authorities:-(

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  14. "Hairy Antelope" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm pleased if others have had a different experience in
    this regard, but mine left me seriously disillusioned
    about how much Joe Average knows about diabetes ...

    --


    What makes me disillusioned is when I often wonder how much
    Joe Average's doctor knows about diabetes....

    Henry

  15. On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:37:37 +1000, you , "hemyd"

    Quoted post said:

    What makes me disillusioned is when I often wonder how much
    Joe Average's doctor knows about diabetes....

    Yeah, I've had one like that .... and his favourite method
    of dealing with me was to rant and rave about things - he
    had a large part to play in the process that had me deciding
    "to hell with this", a process that ended up with my control
    being practically non-existant, followed by a piece of foot
    being amputated .

    --

    ]- "I am a man of many parts, ]- unfortunately most of them
    are no longer in stock" ]-
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------
    To reply by e-mail, move the Gnu from the address to the
    subject line.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------

  16. On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:37:37 +1000, you , "hemyd"

    Quoted post said:

    What makes me disillusioned is when I often wonder how much
    Joe Average's doctor knows about diabetes....

    Yeah, I've had one like that .... and his favourite method
    of dealing with me was to rant and rave about things - he
    had a large part to play in the process that had me deciding
    "to hell with this", a process that ended up with my control
    being practically non-existant, followed by a piece of foot
    being amputated .

    --

    ]- "I am a man of many parts, ]- unfortunately most of them
    are no longer in stock" ]-
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------
    To reply by e-mail, move the Gnu from the address to the
    subject line.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.