General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Gu or Corn Syrup or is there a free alternative

Started by Dave Thomas · · Last activity · 7 posts · 700 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 May 2004
Last activity
17 May 2004
Original author
Dave Thomas
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
700
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Do you know if any research has been done into the
    difference between GU and Corn Syrup or perhaps the benefits
    it has to runners. I have a friend who is running Comrades
    (86k's) and she is thinking of taking something like this.
    What has been your experience?

    I had always thought they were the same thing just different
    brand names. There is certainly a big difference in price.

  2. In article said:

    Do you know if any research has been done into the
    difference between GU and Corn Syrup or perhaps the
    benefits it has to runners. I have a friend who is running
    Comrades (86k's) and she is thinking of taking something
    like this. What has been your experience?

    I had always thought they were the same thing just
    different brand names. There is certainly a big difference
    in price.

    They're not the same thing. GU is maltodextrin (glucose
    polymer), generic corn syrup is largely fructose, and is
    used in Coca Cola, Gatorbarf and other sugary junk food.

    For a cheap carb alternative, you may want to look
    into honey. Do some googling on this and see what you
    come up with.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  3. Dave Thomas said:

    Do you know if any research has been done into the
    difference between GU and Corn Syrup or perhaps the
    benefits it has to runners. I have a friend who is running
    Comrades (86k's) and she is thinking of taking something
    like this. What has been your experience?

    I had always thought they were the same thing just
    different brand names. There is certainly a big difference
    in price.

    i prefer honey the old-fashioned way

  4. Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>, Dave
    Thomas wrote:


    --snip--

    Quoted message said:

    They're not the same thing. GU is maltodextrin (glucose
    polymer), generic corn syrup is largely fructose, and is
    used in Coca Cola, Gatorbarf and other sugary junk food.

    For a cheap carb alternative, you may want to look into
    honey. Do some googling on this and see what you come
    up with.

    Cheers,

    You could also look into maple syrup. Also Hammer Gel is a
    bit more economical that GU, Power Gel and the like.

    Regards

    Phil

    runners4bush2004.rantweb.comrunners4bush2004.rantweb.com

    politics/US/bush_kerry_likeability_poll_040502.html?CMP=OTC-
    RSSFeeds0312

    Playing Favorites Voters Find Bush More Compassionate,
    Compatible, Likeable than Kerry

    Analysis By Dalia Sussman

    May 2— George W. Bush has an edge on John Kerry on the
    personal attributes of compassion, values and likeability,
    another reason Bush has improved his overall position
    against Kerry since the Democratic primaries.

  5. "Phil" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Phil

    runnersagainstbush2004.rantweb.comrunnersagainstbush2004.rantweb.com

    I see the sig is back.

    Tim home.twcny.rr.combushisms.htm

  6. Dave Thomas said:

    Do you know if any research has been done into the
    difference between GU and Corn Syrup or perhaps the
    benefits it has to runners. I have a friend who is running
    Comrades (86k's) and she is thinking of taking something
    like this. What has been your experience?

    That trying something for the first time in a race is a very
    bad idea. Some people seem to like honey as an alternative -
    I find it gives me stomach cramps though, so your friend
    might like to try it but do it in training runs first.

    Quoted message said:

    I had always thought they were the same thing just
    different brand names. There is certainly a big difference
    in price.

  7. Dave Thomas said:

    Do you know if any research has been done into the
    difference between GU and Corn Syrup or perhaps the
    benefits it has to runners. I have a friend who is running
    Comrades (86k's) and she is thinking of taking something
    like this. What has been your experience?

    That trying something for the first time in a race is a very
    bad idea. Some people seem to like honey as an alternative -
    I find it gives me stomach cramps though, so your friend
    might like to try it but do it in training runs first.

    Quoted message said:

    I had always thought they were the same thing just
    different brand names. There is certainly a big difference
    in price.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.