rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Greetings from Iraq & Other Aimless Ramblings

Started by SirArnold · · Last activity · 10 posts · 377 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
19 December 2005
Last activity
20 December 2005
Original author
SirArnold
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
377
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. First of all, thanks to all of you. You taught me how to ride and where
    and what to buy as well as techniques for various skills. This is my
    first post after lurking for about a year. I got my first unicycle
    last Christmas and now have several, including 3 Torkers, a Sun 28”,
    and a Radial. I feel like I know many of you and have thoroughly
    enjoyed the posts.

    I’m deployed here in Baghdad and have recently received a Torker 20” to
    play with. I’ve posted some unique pictures of unicycling in Iraq for
    your viewing pleasure. They’re in a gallery under my username (I hope
    I did it right). BTW kudos to BicycleSource.US. I know they get a bad
    rap from a lot of folks, but they’ve been great with me. I’ve ordered
    4 unicycles from them. Free shipping delivered to Hickam AF Base,
    Hawaii (my normal station) and usually delivered within a week. I
    ordered one for delivery to Iraq – free shipping with delivery after
    only 11 days – I couldn’t expect better service.

    This morning I was walking the unicycle to my pick-up point and a
    Lieutenant Colonel I know said he wanted a demo, so of course I
    acquiesced. I was in full body armor, helmet, sidearm, and backpack.
    I mounted and then immediately “dismounted” face first. Of course
    there was a large Iraqi audience, and he had the pleasure of later
    telling some of my work buddies. I haven’t seen it yet, but I know
    there must be a huge bruise on my thigh from landing on my sidearm –
    ouch. Later we went to the firing range where the pictures were
    taken.

    I know there is at least one other unicycle in Iraq (I’ve read with
    interest Duke’s postings). BTW, Duke if you ever pass through Baghdad,
    we’ll have to ride, though I won’t be able to keep up with your Coker.
    I’m curious to see if there are others. Like I said, this is a ramble.
    Thanks again to all of you for all the advise!

    --
    SirArnold
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SirArnold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9582
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  2. Ashley's father is leaving mid-January for several weeks of training
    before shipping out for a duty station on the Iraq-Kuwait border. His
    Naval Reserve unit was recently activated. He doesn't ride but
    supported our club for several years as his kids learned to ride.

    --
    yoopers

    `_______
    /L ,[____],
    L---L –0LLLLLLL0-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

    Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
    from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

    Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone
    happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one
    can assume! - Dr. Bobo

    unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
    unicycledude93: Yoopers
    Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  3. I know of at least two others that were in Iraq last year. One is
    originally from Washington State. I think it was something like
    Bombsquad and Kraze. Do a search and you should be able to find some
    pics as well. More Uni's in Iraq than some towns in the US.🙂

    --
    bugman

    It's tough for an atheist when he feels grateful and has noone to thank.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  4. Hey SirArnald, can you post some pics of you on full gear riding your
    Torker? That would be one cool photo!
    Be safe and come back in one piece!

    --
    leadpan

    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  5. leadpan said:

    Hey SirArnald, can you post some pics of you on full gear riding your
    Torker? That would be one cool photo!
    Be safe and come back in one piece!

    [image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Saddam%20Head%203]

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Saddam%20Head%203

    --
    bugman

    It's tough for an atheist when he feels grateful and has noone to thank.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  6. Here's a link that should work:

    http://tinyurl.com/a9wtd

    That is really cool to see you all in yr gear on a uni. 🙂

    --
    Victory
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  7. Hey SirArnold,

    Great pictures and glad to see that their is another uni rider in Iraq.
    I have not ridden with anything but the Army PT gear. As is, I weigh
    215 lbs, with all of my gear I would probably break my unis.

    The offer goes both ways, if you get up to FOB Speicher, let me know
    (VoIP) 673 -0031. I was at FOB Danger for a month and took my 24"
    Torker on the UH-60 flight there. I got some funny looks from the crew
    when they saw the wheel strapped to my MOLLE pack.

    One of the guys I work with has just gone on R&R and I am working 12
    hour shifts for the next three weeks. I come to work when it is dark
    and go back to my CHU when it is dark, no opportunity to ride. It
    really sucks because I have ridden the Coker only twice thus far.

    I also have a 5' Giraffe Torker at home. I had that shipped to Kosovo
    when I was there. Now that was a lot of fun. It will stay at home, my
    CHU is getting rather crowded with the 24" and Coker as is.

    --
    duke

    Duke in Iraq
    "My Unis are smile machines"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    duke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6747
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  8. Those photos are great, especially the ones with the Saddam heads!
    You should post some of them in the Best Uni Photos thread.
    Hope you and Duke stay safe and get plenty of riding time in while you
    are out there.

    --
    domesticated ape

    experience is something you don't get until just after you need it
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  9. My office partner suggests the title of this picture "The Poor Man's
    Hum-V" especially with the V sign of your fingers.

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: Unicycle _2_.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/11189 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    yoopers

    `_______
    /L ,[____],
    L---L –0LLLLLLL0-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

    Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
    from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

    Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone
    happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one
    can assume! - Dr. Bobo

    unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
    unicycledude93: Yoopers
    Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

  10. Thanks for your comments. One of the reasons I wanted a uni was to get
    some UNIque photos. I don't get to ride very much. Our "weekend" is
    Friday mornings til 1:00. The other days we work well into the
    evening, so I'm pretty much limited to Friday morning rides. I ride
    much more conservatively than normal here. I'd never live it down if I
    had to be sent back home because of a uni accident.

    I Liked the "poor-man's HUM-V" suggestion. There used to be 3 complete
    Saddam heads there, but now only 1 and a half. I guess they're
    destroying them?

    Duke, I work in MNSTC-I J-8 (Finance) at Phoenix Base walking distance
    from the Embassy. DSN 852-1479 if you're ever in the neighborhood.

    Catch you later, SirArnold

    --
    SirArnold
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SirArnold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9582
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45477

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.