General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Great news - Crash is home!

Started by limey · · Last activity · 14 posts · 386 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 June 2005
Last activity
14 June 2005
Original author
limey
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
386
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. That's wonderful, Carol. I tried to post through Google but messed up
    somehow. I had tried to find your OT - Crash Update post yesterday but it
    disappeared somewhere.

    Anyway, tell Crash to take it slow and easy and do his exercises faithfully,
    even if they hurt like hell. I had knee replacement about 18 months ago -
    at the time, the surgeon said, "For the first three months, you will wonder
    why on earth you had the surgery. At the end of six months, you'll forget
    you had."
    I feel all Crash's pain but it *will* get better.

    Dora

    --
    [email hidden]

  2. limey said:

    That's wonderful, Carol. I tried to post through Google but messed up
    somehow. I had tried to find your OT - Crash Update post yesterday but it
    disappeared somewhere.

    Anyway, tell Crash to take it slow and easy and do his exercises faithfully,
    even if they hurt like hell. I had knee replacement about 18 months ago -
    at the time, the surgeon said, "For the first three months, you will wonder
    why on earth you had the surgery. At the end of six months, you'll forget
    you had."
    I feel all Crash's pain but it *will* get better.

    Any surgery is physically painful at post-op, that's a given, and some
    worse than others. Physical pain wise these two are right up there
    with the worst of the worst; having a pilonidal cyst removed and having
    a deviated septum repaired along with a turbinate modification.
    Fortunately neither is particularly life threatening... but the pain is
    unimaginably intense (nothing can prepare for what comes) and lasts a
    long, loooooong time. But when adressed in an adult-like manor the
    actual physical pain is not so terrible compared with the emotional
    pain experienced by those with low emotional threshholds, which is what
    I see demonstrated in this particular case. Try to stay strong,
    Crash... you're breathing, the worst is over.

    http://www.pedisurg.com/PtEduc/Pilonidal_Cyst.htm

    http://www.ent-consult.com/turbinatesurgery.html

    Sheldon

  3. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    limey said:

    That's wonderful, Carol. I tried to post through Google but messed up
    somehow. I had tried to find your OT - Crash Update post yesterday but it
    disappeared somewhere.

    Anyway, tell Crash to take it slow and easy and do his exercises faithfully,
    even if they hurt like hell. I had knee replacement about 18 months ago -
    at the time, the surgeon said, "For the first three months, you will wonder
    why on earth you had the surgery. At the end of six months, you'll forget
    you had."
    I feel all Crash's pain but it *will* get better.

    Any surgery is physically painful at post-op, that's a given, and some
    worse than others. Physical pain wise these two are right up there
    with the worst of the worst; having a pilonidal cyst removed and having
    a deviated septum repaired along with a turbinate modification.
    Fortunately neither is particularly life threatening... but the pain is
    unimaginably intense (nothing can prepare for what comes) and lasts a
    long, loooooong time. But when adressed in an adult-like manor the
    actual physical pain is not so terrible compared with the emotional
    pain experienced by those with low emotional threshholds, which is what
    I see demonstrated in this particular case. Try to stay strong,
    Crash... you're breathing, the worst is over.

    http://www.pedisurg.com/PtEduc/Pilonidal_Cyst.htm

    http://www.ent-consult.com/turbinatesurgery.html

    Sheldon

    Amen!

    Many years ago I had all the cartilage removed from my right knee. The incision
    runs about 6 inches - this was not a Band-Aid surgery. The perception from
    movies and television is that the drugs take care of everything and surgery is
    like falling off a log. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I woke up
    from the general and asked "Who the F*** hit me in the knee with a sledge
    hammer." Damn it hurt. I can not imagine Crash and what he went through.

    Hang in there.

    Dimitri

  4. limey said:

    Anyway, tell Crash to take it slow and easy and do his exercises faithfully,
    even if they hurt like hell.

    He's very willing to do anything and everything it'll take to feel better.
    Personally, I'm a wimp that way, but he seems to be a real fighter. I
    think the biggest problems with the exercises to date have been because he
    was too drugged up to be able to consciously direct his body to do what it
    needed to do. I think he'll make much faster progress now.

    Quoted message said:

    I had knee replacement about 18 months ago -
    at the time, the surgeon said, "For the first three months, you will wonder
    why on earth you had the surgery. At the end of six months, you'll forget
    you had."

    I'll pass that along. His knees are in really bad shape, too.

    Quoted message said:

    I feel all Crash's pain but it *will* get better.

    I'll let him know. Actually, I'm going to try to get him to Google "his"
    threads.

    Thanks!
    Carol

    --
    CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
    United States:
    http://www.stopthehunger.com/
    International:
    http://www.thehungersite.com/

  5. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Must run ... he's already calling me Nurse Ratchet.

    Carol

    Good that's what you have to be (Nurse Ratchet). I don't know what the 'going
    home orders were but I'll bet they were not "complete bed rest" - A little
    sympathy goes a long way - after that you can tell him to get up and get it
    himself.

    LOL

    ;-)

    Dimitri

  6. On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:55:29 -0500, Damsel <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, everyone kept telling him about the pain relief from the original
    bone disease. No one got into the post-op pain, so he was shocked at the
    pain. On the other hand, he had anywhere from 10-20 on the 0-10 pain scale
    before the surgery. The last 2-3 days, it's been averaging about 7. So he
    hurts, and he's not happy about it, but it's far less than what he was
    suffering before. It's just a different kind of pain.

    Crash's favorite quote was, "Mother-F***!"

    Damsel, it's great that Crash was able to come home from the
    hospital... I know you've both been having a rough trot with this op,
    but things will get better from here.

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    http://www.kajikitscorner.com

  7. So a little bitty visit from me and he is ready to go home!!!!!!!!

    Tell him we have a date for mexican... you can even come along!!!!!

    Pam

  8. Quoted message said:

    So a little bitty visit from me and he is ready to go home!!!!!!!!

    Tell him we have a date for mexican... you can even come along!!!!!

    Sounds good. I've had my eye on Barb for some time now, you know. 😉

    Carol

    --
    CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
    United States:
    http://www.stopthehunger.com/
    International:
    http://www.thehungersite.com/

  9. Quoted message said:

    So a little bitty visit from me and he is ready to go home!!!!!!!!

    Tell him we have a date for mexican... you can even come along!!!!!

    Pam

    Oh, and thanks again for taking me on a break from the hospital and feeding
    me great Mexican food. That restaurant was a real find! I can't wait
    until Crash gets his appetite back so I can take him there. Or even bring
    home some take-out. My shredded beef chimichangas were excellent, and I
    loved the tamale that you shared. Yup, I'm pretty sure there was cinnamon
    in there.

    Crash wants the cowboy boots with a cannabis leaf on them (we went to a
    little Mexican store that sold food and shoes when Pam and Barb came for
    their visit). Somehow, I can't picture him putting on a pair of cowboy
    boots, can you?

    Carol

    --
    CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
    United States:
    http://www.stopthehunger.com/
    International:
    http://www.thehungersite.com/

  10. Sheldon said:

    Physical pain wise these two are right up there
    with the worst of the worst; having a pilonidal cyst removed

    http://www.pedisurg.com/PtEduc/Pilonidal_Cyst.htm

    Sheldon

    Yup, had this about 4 years ago. Worst pain in my life... They actually
    gave me something to bite down on in the doctors office while they
    lanced it. I felt more pain from the administering of the local
    anesthetic than from the actual lancing itself. Let's just say everyone
    in the hospital heard my screams that day... *everyone*

    ~john

  11. Damsel said:


    Sheldon said:

    But when adressed in an adult-like manor the
    actual physical pain is not so terrible compared with the emotional
    pain experienced by those with low emotional threshholds, which is what
    I see demonstrated in this particular case.

    Thanks. This was particularly traumatic for him because of those issues.
    Next time, we'll be prepared. The medications will be planned for and I
    think he'll do much better. It *has* been a nightmare, but we've learned a
    lot from it. At this point, he's still saying he's not going to have the
    other side done (like he even has that option, given the bone disease). I
    think that once the surgical pain is gone, he might be more willing to go
    ahead with the other hip. Or, he may just decide to wait until the other
    hip is unbearably painful. Fear can be crippling. Literally.

    That's especially true. I had to have a scope (top and bottom) I'm a
    gagger and was petrified about the throat part...so much so that my
    blood pressure was 240 over something (I was in such bad shape that I
    don't recall the lower number) I could have "stroked out" over the
    fear....

    Sharon

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Try to stay strong, Crash... you're breathing, the worst is over.

    Amen. 🙂
    Carol

    --
    CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
    United States:
    http://www.stopthehunger.com/
    International:
    http://www.thehungersite.com/

  12. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Real glad for both of you he's back now Carol - here's to the pain being as
    little as it can be, and the recovery being as fast as it can be.

    Quoted message said:

    Crash's favorite quote was, "Mother-F***!"

    Heh, I know that one - hardly surprising.

    Shaun aRe
    --
    May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled.

  13. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message > Yeah, everyone kept telling
    him about the pain relief from the original

    Quoted message said:

    bone disease. No one got into the post-op pain, so he was shocked at the
    pain. On the other hand, he had anywhere from 10-20 on the 0-10 pain scale
    before the surgery. The last 2-3 days, it's been averaging about 7. So he
    hurts, and he's not happy about it, but it's far less than what he was
    suffering before. It's just a different kind of pain.

    Crash's favorite quote was, "Mother-F***!"


    AND it's MAN PAIN! Men suffer far worse pain than women Dams.. I thought you
    knew that by now! 🙂
    Sarah

  14. "Sarah" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message > Yeah, everyone kept
    telling him about the pain relief from the original

    Quoted message said:

    bone disease. No one got into the post-op pain, so he was shocked at the
    pain. On the other hand, he had anywhere from 10-20 on the 0-10 pain
    scale
    before the surgery. The last 2-3 days, it's been averaging about 7. So
    he
    hurts, and he's not happy about it, but it's far less than what he was
    suffering before. It's just a different kind of pain.

    Crash's favorite quote was, "Mother-F***!"


    AND it's MAN PAIN! Men suffer far worse pain than women Dams.. I thought
    you knew that by now! 🙂
    Sarah

    Ok, I am LMAO off at this one! DH FINALLY admitted I was in horrible pain
    when my disc blew, AFTER he ended up with a couple of compressed discs-yes,
    sometimes there IS justice!LOL

    Lynne A
    [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.