Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

grease for aluminuim/carbon

Started by panda · · Last activity · 7 posts · 600 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 March 2005
Last activity
3 March 2005
Original author
panda
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
600
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim. Can/should
    I use lithuim grease between the two?

    Thanks

    --
    uk to net for response

  2. On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:28:27 -0000, "panda" <[email hidden]> may

    have said:

    My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim. Can/should
    I use lithuim grease between the two?

    No.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.


  3. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim.
    Can/should
    I use lithuim grease between the two?

    No.

    should I use anything?

    cheers panda

  4. panda said:

    My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim. Can/should
    I use lithuim grease between the two?

    Thanks

    No.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  5. On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:42:00 -0000, "panda" <[email hidden]> may

    have said:


    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim.
    Can/should
    I use lithuim grease between the two?

    No.

    should I use anything?

    Again, no, unless specifically recommended by the maker of the carbon
    part...which is generally not going to be the case.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  6. panda said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim.
    Can/should
    I use lithuim grease between the two?

    No.

    should I use anything?

    No.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  7. Dry and degreased. Carbon and aluminum are a bad mix because of the large difference in electronegetavity. The aluminum will oxidize rapidly from galvanic corrosion so all carbon posts are covered in a tough, thin protective layer. Grease can compromise this layer, making it soft and then glavanic corrosion will destroy your frame or at least make the post stuck beyond any chance of removal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.