rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

GPS or ? as a personal travel assistant

Started by Erin · · Last activity · 13 posts · 190 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
22 July 2007
Last activity
24 July 2007
Original author
Erin
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
190
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a bike computer set up on my 29'er already and love knowing how
    far I've gone on a given ride. But now I wish I had the same for my
    MUni, my two wheeler, my electric scooter, my kick scooter.... OK so
    I've got a lot of wheels that I use to get around. ...but's it a bit
    much to think of setting each of them up with a bike computer. And a
    GPS sounds like its kind of overkill to use just as a portable mileage
    gauge. Or is there a totally simple one that would do the job?

    Basically I'm looking for ideas of devices that would serve as a means
    of being able to establish speed and distance traveled that I could use
    with any of my wheeled toys. Got any suggestions?

    --
    Erin

    "If you have no goals, you can accomplish almost anything!" Slugbath
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. ive tried using a GPS for this purpose. It's a Garmin one although not
    sure which model. It is pretty good out in the open but as soon as you
    go into any woods or shelter it loses satelite reception and is pretty
    useless which can be quite frustrating. Other GPS units may be better,
    I have fairly limited experience of them.

    As for an alternative device i'm not too sure... but i'm sure someone
    will come up with a better solution than me.

    --
    lowlight
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lowlight's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12290
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. You have to consider the cost if you did buy separate cycle-computers
    for each and every cycle you own, I bet the total would be close to the
    single GPS unit that you can easily use between cycles without having
    to muck about with calibrating every single one. Plus, a standard
    magnet on the spoke cycle computer could be a bit difficult to fit on
    scooters...

    lowlight said:

    It is pretty good out in the open but as soon as you go into any woods
    or shelter it loses satelite reception and is pretty useless which can
    be quite frustrating. Other GPS units may be better, I have fairly
    limited experience of them.

    Any of the Garmin x05 units; they have the latest GPS chipset which
    apparently never lose reception even in the woods. The only ones so far
    are the Forerunner and Edge units; they are more like cycle-computers
    that use GPS for measurement instead of a magnet on the spoke and will
    suit your purpose for speed and distance measurements.

    Erin said:

    And a GPS sounds like its kind of overkill to use just as a portable
    mileage gauge.

    ...which is why when you complete your journey, you can upload your
    routes and overlay them onto Google Maps/Earth, seeing exactly where
    you've been. It sounds like a novelty, but try it once and you'll be
    hooked!

    --
    gkmac

    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
    "As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
    mikepenton
    "Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
    I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. I recently was in a similar situation. I bought a Garmin forerunner 305
    wrist gps unit. I also bought a bike speed/cadance transmitter for
    it. I was fairly skeptical about how the reception was going to do. I
    took it around the neighborhood and it did much better than my previous
    handheld GPS unit (garmin gecko 201). Then I took it on a mtb ride in
    a heavily wooded area where my old unit barely worked... It did GREAT!
    It actually did so well that I don't even use the bike speed
    transmitter unit. It also has a heart rate monitor. Now no matter
    what sport I do I just grab it strap it on my wrist and go. Very
    satisfied with it. If you are into downloading it to a pc you can do
    that as well, you can graph any of the data it collects (like
    elevation, heartrate, speed...) I'm normally a pretty tough customer
    for these kinds of things, but am very satisfied. It is pretty easy to
    use and not much setup is required, but at the same time you can setup
    alot if you want to (depending on which sport profile you use it
    displays different info on the unit ( up to 4 fields of your liking).

    --
    anton005
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    anton005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14941
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Thanks guys, that's really helpful information!

    I'm going to be looking into the Garmin GPS units that you mentioned.

    --
    Erin

    "If you have no goals, you can accomplish almost anything!" Slugbath
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Ohh, the 'edge 205' would definitely be the unit to have on a
    bike....but pricy new and hard to find used. I wonder if there are
    some other units that do a similar thing but are cheaper (is there such
    a thing as a garmin knock off? :eek: ). Or perhaps another older
    garmin that would work with a bit of adapting...any ideas?

    --
    Erin

    "If you have no goals, you can accomplish almost anything!" Slugbath
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. You will get the Garmin foretrex or ForeRunner 101s(AA batteries) and
    201s(built in batteries) or even the ForeRunner 301 (Built in battery
    with usb and heart rate) cheaper than the Edge and ForeRunner 205s and
    305s and they work pretty well if you are out in the open. However they
    take much longer to aquire satellites and do not cope well with being
    in low receptions areas (under trees, built up areas, etc)

    For convenience the new ForeRunners are better as you can strap it to
    your wrist as it comes. I have an Edge and for using on my Uni's I have
    an mp3 case that straps to my wrist. This works but is more bulky. The
    bigger screen of the Edge is better when used for navigating and
    displaying lots of fields.

    If you do get a GPS make sure you check out Sporttracks - it's a
    donation ware logging application that uses google maps - definitely
    recomended.

    --
    wriggy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wriggy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7209
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Does wearing wrist guards effect the strapping to the wrist aspect of
    the forerunner?

    --
    cathwood

    Cathy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. cathwood said:

    Does wearing wrist guards effect the strapping to the wrist aspect of
    the forerunner?

    Yes, my red KH pulse wristguards/gloves do affect it.

    I have to loosen the strap so it can go further up my arm, so loose
    that it would usually slide down my wrist if it weren't for the
    wristguard stopping it.

    If you have thick arms, the Forerunner 205 (and 305) has a longer strap
    supplied in the box, along with a tool to change it over.

    --
    gkmac

    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
    "As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
    mikepenton
    "Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
    I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. gkmac said:

    Yes, my red KH pulse wristguards/gloves do affect it.

    I have to loosen the strap so it can go further up my arm, so loose
    that it would usually slide down my wrist if it weren't for the
    wristguard stopping it.

    If you have thick arms, the Forerunner 205 (and 305) has a longer strap
    supplied in the box, along with a tool to change it over.

    Does it still work ok though?

    I don't think I've got particularly thick arms.

    --
    cathwood

    Cathy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. yup, I have HUGE arms 😉 and use the large strap (kind of impressed it
    came with it, actually) I use the same gloves as gkmac, and also have
    to loosen and slide it up my arm a bit. It is a bit annoying,
    sometimes it rotates on my arm so I have to spin it back to see the
    display, but not everything is perfect. I thought it would be cool to
    have velcro on it and just slap it onto the glove itself.

    --
    anton005
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    anton005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14941
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. cathwood said:

    Does it still work ok though?

    I don't think I've got particularly thick arms.

    It does seem to work OK. It can rotate slightly, but then it also seems
    to cope fairly well with how I swing my arms on a semi-technical muni
    ride.

    What I meant about thick arms; everyone's arms get thicker from the
    wrist to the elbow. Secure your watch to your wrist so it doesn't
    rotate, and try to slide it up your arm, and you may see what I mean.

    My arms are like matchsticks and most watches buckle to the second to
    last hole on the strap. The Forerunner's strap seems to be designed for
    slightly thinner arms.

    --
    gkmac

    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
    "As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
    mikepenton
    "Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
    I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. wriggy said:

    I have an Edge and for using on my Uni's I have an mp3 case that straps
    to my wrist. This works but is more bulky. The bigger screen of the
    Edge is better when used for navigating and displaying lots of fields.

    If you do get a GPS make sure you check out Sporttracks - it's a
    donation ware logging application that uses google maps - definitely
    recomended.

    Likewise I use an Edge in an MP3 case, although I have mine mounted on
    my upper arm. Also useful when fitted to a bike - commuting 😉

    Equally I agree http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ is a very
    good product, can't wait for the new version.

    Forerunner users the wrist guard question has been answered but if your
    wearing waterproofs can you see the screen?

    Keith

    --
    keg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62848

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.