"Nathalie Chiva" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
The picture was fine. I never go to QVC but I'll look now and then, now that I know what it is like. So clever, the French. (However, supposing that they came up with the idea of a raclette oven.)
No, the Swiss did! <grumble grumble>
Quoted message said:
Just finished putting the raclette on bread under the broiler and having with some really strong coffee for the afternoon 'social event.
You heathen! Raclette is eaten with white wine or with hot tea. Coffee, ye gods!
Nathalie *in Switzerland* <g>
Yep, I usually have cheese with wine, and I think white wine is for sissys! Give me a glass of hearty red every time! It was just too early in the day for me to start on wine. particulary when there was cooking to do. You see, if I have one glass, I want more! As for hot tea with cheese! Ye Gods! Nope, not in my lifetime. (:>} Dee Dee
I'm glad you all told me this, because even tho we like stinky cheese, we both said that this tasted like cheese that's over-ripe. We'll try your suggestions. THANK YOU! Dee Dee
In Switzerland, raclette is melted and eaten with potatoes boiled in their skin, with fresh ground black pepper and pickles. If you don't have a raclette oven, use a cold plate that goes into the oven, put a quarter-inch-thick slice of raclette cheese on it - don't cut out the edges, they are the best part, they become crispy when melted! Melt it in a warm oven with only top heat (420F or more), until it is melted all through and maybe took a little color. Always use a cold plate for each new batch, otherwise the cheese will be swimming in a bath of fat.
"Mite" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
I'm glad you all told me this, because even tho we like stinky cheese, we both said that this tasted like cheese that's over-ripe. We'll try your suggestions. THANK YOU! Dee Dee
In Switzerland, raclette is melted and eaten with potatoes boiled in their skin, with fresh ground black pepper and pickles. If you don't have a raclette oven, use a cold plate that goes into the oven, put a quarter-inch-thick slice of raclette cheese on it - don't cut out the edges, they are the best part, they become crispy when melted! Melt it in a warm oven with only top heat (420F or more), until it is melted all through and maybe took a little color. Always use a cold plate for each new batch, otherwise the cheese will be swimming in a bath of fat.
Hey, Mite, I like to hear different ways people prepare a food that I have no knowledge about in the first place. I also would never have thought to leave the edges on, I cut them off, sad to say, but there's still some left! Thanks so much, Dee Dee
Hey, Mite, I like to hear different ways people prepare a food that I have no knowledge about in the first place. I also would never have thought to leave the edges on, I cut them off, sad to say, but there's still some left! Thanks so much, Dee Dee
You're welcome! Raclette is one of my favorite meal. I find it funny that somebody would buy raclette cheese without knowing what a raclette is. The word raclette comes from "racler" - scrape in French - since you would melt the surface of a half wheel of cheese, and then scrape the bubbling cheese over a plate of potatoes.
"Mite" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
Hey, Mite, I like to hear different ways people prepare a food that I have no knowledge about in the first place. I also would never have thought to leave the edges on, I cut them off, sad to say, but there's still some left! Thanks so much, Dee Dee
You're welcome! Raclette is one of my favorite meal. I find it funny that somebody would buy raclette cheese without knowing what a raclette is. The word raclette comes from "racler" - scrape in French - since you would melt the surface of a half wheel of cheese, and then scrape the bubbling cheese over a plate of potatoes.
that somebody would buy raclette cheese without knowing what a raclette is.
Heck, I didn't even know what raclette cheese was/is, let alone a raclette is. But here on rfc, one learns all sorts of 'yummy' things. Like, on food network I learned what a panini grill was, etc. etc. etc. I'm getting way too many appliances! Thanks again & merci, it's fun to learn all these new things and have a world of experience. Dee Dee
that somebody would buy raclette cheese without knowing what a raclette is.
Heck, I didn't even know what raclette cheese was/is, let alone a raclette is.
and if you've never heard of it... it's just a name, like Monterey Jack.
Quoted message said:
But here on rfc, one learns all sorts of 'yummy' things. Like, on food network I learned what a panini grill was, etc. etc. etc. I'm getting way too many appliances! Thanks again & merci, it's fun to learn all these new things and have a world of experience.
I'm wondering if you could put a big hunk of the cheese under the broiler for a minute or two and scrape off the melted stuff just like you would with a real raclette. Didn't they originally melt raclette do it in front of the fire in a fireplace?
On Tue 16 Aug 2005 03:23:55p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
"Mite" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:
I find it funny
Quoted message said:
that somebody would buy raclette cheese without knowing what a raclette is.
Heck, I didn't even know what raclette cheese was/is, let alone a raclette is.
and if you've never heard of it... it's just a name, like Monterey Jack.
Quoted message said:
But here on rfc, one learns all sorts of 'yummy' things. Like, on food network I learned what a panini grill was, etc. etc. etc. I'm getting way too many appliances! Thanks again & merci, it's fun to learn all these new things and have a world of experience.
I'm wondering if you could put a big hunk of the cheese under the broiler for a minute or two and scrape off the melted stuff just like you would with a real raclette. Didn't they originally melt raclette do it in front of the fire in a fireplace?
Yes, you could. Yes, they did.
-- Wayne Boatwright *¿* ____________________________________________
Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day. Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974