tabber said:Plus, anyone who says that the only thing cardio is good for is to be
able to catch a theif who stole your wallet is seriously out of his
mind.
[file]
You think that they can't get any dumber; they just can't. Then, they
surprise you.
[end file]
[file]
Excerption from ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING
YOUR BODY, PART II
CARDIO
Have you ever asked anyone why they do it? Some people will tell you
it's for their overall health, some will say it's for weight loss, and
some (if they're honest) will tell you that they don't know. I'll
tell you why I do it. My Dad once told me that it doesn't matter how
powerfully built you are, if a thief snatches your wallet and tears
down the street, you can't get it back, if you can't catch him. I do
cardio, and I could catch him. I believe that's really the primary
benefit, doing it just to be able to do it. It's not a highly
effective means of losing fat, in and of itself, dieting is, although
cardio would be considered an adjunct. Instead of starting an
argument that gets bogged down in theory (fat burning, etc.), I'll give
you a quick example. A 20 minute run, at about 8 minutes per mile,
will burn approximately 250 to 300 calories for the "average" person.
If you eat a Milky Way after that run, because the exertion made you
hungry, you are back at square one. Think about it.
As to whether or not it's a prolonger of life, well, that's very much
up in the air. Certainly, the training of your heart muscle, like the
training of any other muscle, will increase its efficiency. It's just
that a cardiac event is a culmination of so many possible contributing
factors, that just what might have been done (if in fact anything could
have been done) to prevent it, is debatable. It's almost universally
agreed, that by far the most significant prolonger of life, is your
genes. Even such non-progressive [my ed. opinion] publications as The
Journal of the American Medical Association, are pretty much on board
about that.
If you're going to do it, and like I said, I do it, and really I
believe you should too, do it in moderation. It's certainly not an
aid to muscular development, in fact it's quite the reverse. There
are lots of ...
copyright 2000 2003 by Neal Fabian et al.
all rights reserved
[end file]
Quoted message said:
Anyway, Neil never chased that male prostitute that stole his pants
Was that you? Skulking around the locker room, swiping stuff? I'd
worn those jeans all day, about ten hours, hot, muggy afternoon, so I
guess they made for some great sniffing. I'll bet you still have them
under your pillow.
Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
HOW GOOD CAN YOU GET? is now up on my website, in NEW STUFF, on the
cover page. Check it out. Also, I have a new b&w addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II.
My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT
DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on my website.