Road Cycling · Public discussion

Good "vintage" commuter bikes - recommendations

Started by Brian · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,919 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
10 July 2005
Last activity
16 July 2005
Original author
Brian
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,919
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everyone,

    What types of older bikes make good commuter bikes for daily city
    travel? I was looking around on craigslist and come across many older
    Schwinn and Sears bikes.

    I'm looking for one with:

    1. fenders
    2. chainguard
    3. at least 3 gears
    4. upright seat/handlebars
    5. rear rack for pannier
    6. possibly a light (otherwise I'll add these on)

    Any suggestions for cheap ways to do this?

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Brian said:

    Hi everyone,

    What types of older bikes make good commuter bikes for daily city
    travel? I was looking around on craigslist and come across many older
    Schwinn and Sears bikes.

    I'm looking for one with:

    1. fenders
    2. chainguard
    3. at least 3 gears
    4. upright seat/handlebars
    5. rear rack for pannier
    6. possibly a light (otherwise I'll add these on)

    Any suggestions for cheap ways to do this?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    Brian,

    If you're looking for used bikes, your best bet is to make a list of what's
    available and look at each on it's merits individually. Others may have
    different views but I would avoid a "Sears" bike.

    Look at your LBS (local bike shop) for deals on used bikes - some carry them
    and they'll probably be able to give you advice and alternatives. New bikes
    may be a better value as parts are still available and they aren't that
    expensive to start. Having to replace a 30 year old set of parts may just
    jack the price of that used bike to that of a new one.

    All of the items you list are available as aftermarket options - don't limit
    you bike choice to ones that come with those or you may end up with a less
    than ideal bike.

    Good luck and let us know what brands and model numbers you've found.

    Cheers,
    Chris

  3. http://www.breezerbikes.com/

  4. Well, I've been looking online at craigslist and I typically see older
    Schwinn's listed...recently a "Schwinn Racer". I also saw a 70's Ross
    Eurotour.

    Every now and then I see a Schwinn Collegiate...

  5. I like the Citizen...but don't think its worth $500+

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian said:

    Hi everyone,

    What types of older bikes make good commuter bikes for daily city
    travel? I was looking around on craigslist and come across many older
    Schwinn and Sears bikes.

    The short answer, in my opinion, is that almost all older (before 1985,
    say) road bikes you are likely to find make good, reliable commuters as
    long as they have one features: aluminum rims, as opposed to steel rims.

    Here's why: all but the raciest bikes of the late 70s and early 80s had
    pretty good frame clearances, which means fender mounting is possible.
    Many of them will even have proper fender and rack mounts, though this
    can be worked around with P-clamps or other bits of hardware.

    The defining thing about aluminum ("alloy"😉 rims is that they have a
    huge functional advantage over steel rims (they work in the rain), and
    they were a benchmark feature that really crappy bicycles of the era
    simply did not have. So any bike you find with alloy rims will probably
    be a reasonable bike in other ways.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for one with:

    1. fenders
    2. chainguard
    3. at least 3 gears
    4. upright seat/handlebars
    5. rear rack for pannier
    6. possibly a light (otherwise I'll add these on)

    Chainguards are not easy to mount to bikes with front derailers, but
    classic English 3-speeds usually don't have aluminum rims, and around
    here they're less common than bike-boom 10-speeds. However, that also
    satisfies your desire for an "upright" handlebar.

    I do have one other evil suggestion, these:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-drop.html#cross
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&brand=&s
    ku=10888&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Those little babies are bar-top brake levers. Install them on a drop
    handlebar, and you get brakes that work properly from the top of the
    bars, making them just like flat bars. Neat, huh? Since this conversion
    costs less than getting a flat bar and brake levers, it's pretty fun.

    Quoted message said:

    Any suggestions for cheap ways to do this?

    The cheapest way is always garage sales, but it takes patience. If I was
    still fully committed to the garage-sale lifestyle, I could probably
    pick up a good 70s vintage commuter-grade bike every month, and the
    going rate is $10 around here. The expensive, fast way is a used bike
    specialist, where you might get charged $100 for the same bike, but it
    will be in known working condition, and might even come with the fenders
    and rack already.

    In my experience, thrift stores and Value Villages are a perfect storm
    of excessive prices and terrible machinery: the land of steel-wheeled
    bicycles with $25 price tags. There must be rare exceptions to this, but
    I don't seem to see them.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  7. Quoted message said:

    The cheapest way is always garage sales, but it takes patience. If I was
    still fully committed to the garage-sale lifestyle, I could probably
    pick up a good 70s vintage commuter-grade bike every month, and the
    going rate is $10 around here.


    You might go to http://www.freecycle.org click down to your region, and
    ask to join your local group. Then offer to give something to give
    away and look for or ask for a bicycle.

  8. Hey Ryan,

    Thanks for the constructive information. It was right on the money.

    I have a feeling, however, that many of the owners of cheapo bikes may
    not know whether or not their bikes rims are aluminum or steel. I was
    planning to buy a older bike that was ready to ride for about 100 bucks
    as in the NYC are that seems to be the going rate. I was currently
    looking online at a :

    1. Old Green Schwinn Collegiate $100
    2. Vintage Fugi "Bedford" Cruiser $120
    3. 70's Ross Eurotour - $125

    Of course, I'll test ride them..etc. Do any of these seem like decent
    buys given that I'm not interested in doing lots of work to them?

    Brian

  9. I guess what I really wanted to know was a few brands that were well
    designed and rugged enough for riding about 5 miles every day in the
    city.

    Advice like...never buy an old (_____) model while the 70's (____)
    models were built to last..... That would be helpful... Also, which
    ones would be easier to get fixed if something goes wrong...

  10. Brian said:

    I guess what I really wanted to know was a few brands that were well
    designed and rugged enough for riding about 5 miles every day in the
    city.

    I'd recommend something lightweight and with an upright sitting position
    by any popular brand. These bikes will last forever with minimal
    maintenance. Don't buy more than you need. 5 miles isn't a long ride.
    You may even be able to find something suitable at your local Goodwill
    store.

    -Bill H.

  11. Brian said:

    I guess what I really wanted to know was a few brands that were well
    designed and rugged enough for riding about 5 miles every day in the
    city.

    Advice like...never buy an old (_____) model while the 70's (____)
    models were built to last..... That would be helpful... Also, which
    ones would be easier to get fixed if something goes wrong...

    It depends on what a 70's bike has been doing for 30 years, they fall
    into two groups, one is that someone has been riding it fairly regular,
    now they can't ride it anymore. Things that probably need work,
    headset, bottom bracket, chain, freewheel cogs, hubs. Second it has been
    in the garage since 1980. Things that probably need work, tires, tubes,
    cables, chain, wheels need truing. The rims could be steel, and steel
    ones should be replaced with aluminum. Watch out for rust in either case.

    Any name brand from the 70's is okay, the 80's saw the first Japanese
    bikes that were designed well, some are makes that are not seen much
    anymore, there may be some nice deals around now on some of those. I
    think the '10s will be the same for Chinese made bikes. You need to be
    careful though, one you buy at a LBS will be in reasonable condition,
    one you buy out of the classifieds may need more work then it's worth.

    W

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.