General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Goat Fell hill race report

Started by Tim Downie · · Last activity · 27 posts · 1,851 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 May 2004
Last activity
18 May 2004
Original author
Tim Downie
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,851
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well,that was fun. (And it's not often I say that
    about a race).

    Usually when I've enjoyed a race it means I wasn't really
    trying hard enough and indeed, that may well have been the
    case today but it was really too nice a run to spoil by
    going b*lls out. The views were stunning and everything
    about the race was just so good.

    Myself and a clubmate caught the 9:45 ferry over to Arran.
    On the way over, the top Goat Fell (2867ft, 874m) was
    wreathed in mist but as we approached Arran, it was clear
    that it was lifting. We strolled to the Rugby club at the
    north end of Broddick where registration took place and
    warmed up in the playing field.

    Walshes laced up, at 12:00 we set off towards Broddick
    Castle along the road. As I was unsure about my hill
    running abilities over this sort of height/distance, I took
    it pretty easy for the first mile and a half (which was on
    pretty level road). After that you cut up through forest up
    the hill proper. This means that about 98% of the ascent
    takes place in about 2.5 miles. Despite this, there are a
    good number of runable stretches and apart from the
    expected wheezing and gasping the ascent wasn't too bad
    until we neared the summit where I was stumbling and
    tripping over everything and getting just a little worried
    about how my legs would cope on the way down. The path
    itself was dry and a mixture of gravel and stone. Couldn't
    really have asked for more.

    The path to the summit takes you behind a ridge and about
    100m for the top you rise up over the ridge to enjoy and
    absolutely stunning view over the bay towards Broddick. It
    really was the kind of view that makes you utter out loud
    involuntarily. I would like to say I used suitably poetic
    words but I think at the time, "[censored] me!" was the best I
    could muster. ;-)

    My clubmate beat me to the trig point by about 90 seconds
    (boo!) but within a couple of minutes I had passed him on
    the way down. (I reached the top after 1:09). I was going to
    say that he was running downhill like a girly but that would
    being doing a gross injustice to the women who were running.
    I had passed the eventual 2nd lady on the way up but she
    passed me like I was standing still ( and enjoying a
    leisurely picnic with a fine bottle of chilled Chablis) on
    the way down. I just couldn't believe the way she hopped and
    skipped her way down. I foolishly thought that I would catch
    her on the levelish bit but no way! In the end she finished
    just 5 minutes ahead of me so I probably was catching her on
    the level bits but she was amazing to watch.

    My stumbling uphill legs seem to be enjoying the change of
    slope. With rejuvinated muscles and with much hoping,
    skipping and generally scaring the bejesus out of the hill
    walkers on their way up, it was back to the road. How
    terrible that felt after all the off-road stuff! Legs
    suddenly felt leaden and the last mile and a half seemed
    much longer than on the way up. Eventually hit Broddick and
    crossed the line in 1:55:58. Only managed 61st out of 82 in
    the end but I don't care, it was too much fun to worry
    about. Beat my club mate by over 5 minutes so that was all
    that mattered. ;-)

    Brilliant showers at the rugby club with oodles of hot
    water. Also ample supplies of free bananas, sandwiches,
    buttered jammy scones and carrot cake. There was a nominal
    charge for tea and cooffee but free refills thereafter.

    I would say that a great time was had by all if it wasn't
    for one chap who fell heavily and managed to bleed fairly
    copiously all the way down the mountain despite being
    patched up. Another poor woman fell heavily on her knee and
    I stongly suspect broke something very painful and had to be
    stretchered off by the mountain rescue who were in
    attendance at several points on the hill. (Might well end up
    getting anaesthetised by my better half later tonight).

    All in all though, well organised, friendly and great fun.
    Don't miss it next year!

    Tim

    --
    Remove the *obvious* to reply by mail

  2. Tim Downie said:

    Well,that was fun. (And it's not often I say that about
    a race).

    🙂

    Quoted message said:


    Walshes laced up, at 12:00 we set off towards Broddick
    Castle along the road. As I was unsure about my hill
    running abilities over this sort of height/distance, I
    took it pretty easy for the first mile and a half (which
    was on pretty level road). After that you cut up through
    forest up the hill proper. This means that about 98% of
    the ascent takes place in about 2.5 miles. Despite this,
    there are a good number of runable stretches and apart
    from the expected wheezing and gasping the ascent wasn't
    too bad until we neared the summit where I was stumbling
    and tripping over everything and getting just a little
    worried about how my legs would cope on the way down. The
    path itself was dry and a mixture of gravel and stone.
    Couldn't really have asked for more.

    Sounds like the symptoms of another hill lover 😉

    Quoted message said:


    The path to the summit takes you behind a ridge and about
    100m for the top you rise up over the ridge to enjoy and
    absolutely stunning view over the bay towards Broddick. It
    really was the kind of view that makes you utter out loud
    involuntarily.

    This is one of my major criteria for race selection 😉

    Quoted message said:

    I had passed the eventual 2nd lady on the way up but she
    passed me like I was standing still ( and enjoying a
    leisurely picnic with a fine bottle of chilled Chablis) on
    the way down. I just couldn't believe the way she hopped
    and skipped her way down.

    This is what I referring to in another thread about some
    people having and developing the strength and skill for
    downhilling. They tend to be very nimble and make it
    look so easy.

    Quoted message said:

    it was back to the road. How terrible that felt after all
    the off-road stuff!

    Think you're becoming addicted. 🙂

    Quoted message said:


    All in all though, well organised, friendly and great fun.
    Don't miss it next year!

    Nice run, Tim. Sounds like you're getting addicted to hills
    and trails!

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. er ... isn't that "rejuvenated", Tim? :-)
    Nice report. Downhills like that kill my thighs and I'm so heavy I'm afraid
    of breaking the hill, so I try not to do them too fast!
    Sounds like most people had nice days this weekend.
    J
    "Tim Downie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well,that was fun. (And it's not often I say that about
    a race).

    Usually when I've enjoyed a race it means I wasn't really
    trying hard


    enough

    Quoted message said:

    and indeed, that may well have been the case today but it
    was really too nice a run to spoil by going b*lls out. The
    views were stunning and everything about the race was just
    so good.

    Myself and a clubmate caught the 9:45 ferry over to Arran.
    On the way


    over,

    Quoted message said:

    the top Goat Fell (2867ft, 874m) was wreathed in mist but
    as we approached Arran, it was clear that it was lifting.
    We strolled to the Rugby club at the north end of Broddick
    where registration took place and warmed up in


    the

    Quoted message said:

    playing field.

    Walshes laced up, at 12:00 we set off towards Broddick
    Castle along the road. As I was unsure about my hill
    running abilities over this sort of height/distance, I
    took it pretty easy for the first mile and a half


    (which

    Quoted message said:

    was on pretty level road). After that you cut up through
    forest up the


    hill

    Quoted message said:

    proper. This means that about 98% of the ascent takes
    place in about 2.5 miles. Despite this, there are a good
    number of runable stretches and


    apart

    Quoted message said:

    from the expected wheezing and gasping the ascent wasn't
    too bad until we neared the summit where I was stumbling
    and tripping over everything and getting just a little
    worried about how my legs would cope on the way


    down.

    Quoted message said:

    The path itself was dry and a mixture of gravel and stone.
    Couldn't really have asked for more.

    The path to the summit takes you behind a ridge and about
    100m for the top you rise up over the ridge to enjoy and
    absolutely stunning view over the bay towards Broddick. It
    really was the kind of view that makes you utter out loud
    involuntarily. I would like to say I used suitably poetic
    words but I think at the time, "[censored] me!" was the best I
    could muster. ;-)

    My clubmate beat me to the trig point by about 90 seconds
    (boo!) but


    within

    Quoted message said:

    a couple of minutes I had passed him on the way down. (I
    reached the top after 1:09). I was going to say that he
    was running downhill like a girly but that would being
    doing a gross injustice to the women who were


    running.

    Quoted message said:

    I had passed the eventual 2nd lady on the way up but she
    passed me like I was standing still ( and enjoying a
    leisurely picnic with a fine bottle of chilled Chablis)
    on the way down. I just couldn't believe the way she
    hopped and skipped her way down. I foolishly thought that
    I would catch


    her

    Quoted message said:

    on the levelish bit but no way! In the end she finished
    just 5 minutes ahead of me so I probably was catching her
    on the level bits but she was amazing to watch.

    My stumbling uphill legs seem to be enjoying the change of
    slope. With rejuvinated muscles and with much hoping,
    skipping and generally scaring


    the

    Quoted message said:

    bejesus out of the hill walkers on their way up, it was
    back to the road. How terrible that felt after all the off-
    road stuff! Legs suddenly felt leaden and the last mile
    and a half seemed much longer than on the way up.
    Eventually hit Broddick and crossed the line in 1:55:58.
    Only managed


    61st

    Quoted message said:

    out of 82 in the end but I don't care, it was too much fun
    to worry about. Beat my club mate by over 5 minutes so
    that was all that mattered. ;-)

    Brilliant showers at the rugby club with oodles of hot
    water. Also ample supplies of free bananas, sandwiches,
    buttered jammy scones and carrot


    cake.

    Quoted message said:

    There was a nominal charge for tea and cooffee but
    free refills


    thereafter.

    Quoted message said:


    I would say that a great time was had by all if it wasn't
    for one chap who fell heavily and managed to bleed fairly
    copiously all the way down the mountain despite being
    patched up. Another poor woman fell heavily on her knee
    and I stongly suspect broke something very painful and had
    to be stretchered off by the mountain rescue who were in
    attendance at several points on the hill. (Might well end
    up getting anaesthetised by my better half later tonight).

    All in all though, well organised, friendly and great fun.
    Don't miss it next year!

    Tim

    --
    Remove the *obvious* to reply by mail

  4. Dot said:


    Nice run, Tim. Sounds like you're getting addicted to
    hills and trails!

    Well, I don't know about that. The roads have their merits
    too and I enjoy both. Frankly, after the Speyside Way race,
    I felt I could happily have turned my back on off-road
    racing for good and stuck to the blissfully smooth tarmac
    for the rest of my life. Goat Fell however is more or less
    on my door step (barring the odd ferry jouney). Somehow
    though, I'd never got around to climbing it before.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  5. "Dot" <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tim Downie said:

    Well,that was fun. (And it's not often I say that about
    a race).

    🙂

    Quoted message said:


    Walshes laced up, at 12:00 we set off towards Broddick
    Castle


    along the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    road. As I was unsure about my hill running abilities
    over this


    sort of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    height/distance, I took it pretty easy for the first
    mile and a


    half (which

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was on pretty level road). After that you cut up through
    forest


    up the hill

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    proper. This means that about 98% of the ascent takes
    place in


    about 2.5

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    miles. Despite this, there are a good number of runable


    stretches and apart

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    from the expected wheezing and gasping the ascent wasn't
    too bad


    until we

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    neared the summit where I was stumbling and
    tripping over


    everything and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    getting just a little worried about how my legs would
    cope on


    the way down.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The path itself was dry and a mixture of gravel and
    stone.


    Couldn't really

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have asked for more.

    I did a 3 1/2 hour trail run on the Connecticut, NY, Mass
    border yesterday to include a small piece of the Appalachian
    Trail.. A little like Tim's experience but a run not a race.
    I'm not half bad on hills but some of these short step rocky
    climbs had me panting like a rutting bull. To help my
    comfort level it was about 80 and I had to haul my double UD
    with big bottles.

    Anyway, a lot of these trails are not runable most unlike
    the stuff I usually enjoy. To say the least those step ups
    were tough. Why the masochism? I've inserted a 70 mile trail
    run for June 12 and this race similar characteristics.
    Nothing like a crash course to see if I can get in before
    the 22 hour cut off.. laurelultra.comcourse.htm

    Quoted message said:


    Sounds like the symptoms of another hill lover 😉

    Tim, say goodbye to those boring roads. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    This is what I referring to in another thread about
    some people


    having

    Quoted message said:

    and developing the strength and skill for downhilling.
    They tend


    to be

    Quoted message said:

    very nimble and make it look so easy.

    This is part practice and part genetics/fear. Years back I
    did trail runs that were classified as ugly. I did get
    used to the footing but never the reckless abandon as
    others. I would need to look before I would leap while the
    good/fast runners would leap and then see where they were
    going to land.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    it was back to the road. How terrible that felt after
    all the off-road stuff!

    How true! To come off a trail and run on the road is a
    tough transition and not easy. Sure a flatter road seems
    like a nice change but it isn't. Soem of my races have a
    mile or two of roads to get from one train to another and
    we all dread it.

    Quoted message said:

    Think you're becoming addicted. 🙂

    This could be a difficult transition especially he keeps log
    and records mileage down to two decimal points. 😉

    --
    Doug Freese
    [email hidden]
    (Remove the NOBS)

  6. Jonathan Sydenham said:

    er ... isn't that "rejuvenated", Tim? :-)

    Could well be. Speeling was always my weekest subjekt.

    Quoted message said:

    Nice report. Downhills like that kill my thighs and I'm so
    heavy I'm afraid of breaking the hill, so I try not to do
    them too fast!

    I'm beginning to wish I hadn't gone down quite so fast
    myself! I like to think that I have pretty good foot/eye
    coordination for my age (I always run down stairs) and
    compared to my club mate, I galloped down a lot fast than he
    did (even if he is 25 yrs my junior). However *he* ran
    another small hill race on Sunday whilst I'm hobbling round
    like underprepared post-marathon neophyte.

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like most people had nice days this weekend.

    I'm sure they did. Most annoyingly, I've just discovered
    that the same organisers run a longer hill race on the same
    mountain on the 12th of June, the day before my Edinburgh
    marathon. I'd dearly love to do it but it's going to have to
    wait until next year now. :-(

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  7. "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is what I referring to in another thread about some
    people having and developing the strength and skill for
    downhilling. They tend to be very nimble and make it
    look so easy.

    Quoted message said:

    This is part practice and part genetics/fear. Years back I
    did trail runs that were classified as ugly. I did get
    used to the footing but never the reckless abandon as
    others. I would need to look before I would leap while the
    good/fast runners would leap and then see where they were
    going to land.

    It's also part age -- downhill speed is the first thing to
    go, both for my podiatrist (2:24 marathoner) and me (a fair
    bit slower). Whereas I used to keep up with folks on uphills
    and smoke them on the way down, it's now exactly the
    opposite, if there's any technical descending.

    I remember flying down boulders, just like you said, leap
    off, eyes focused 8 feet in front in a totally zen state,
    and figure out the landing zone on the fly. Now I end up
    spraining ankles (like I did in a 25 mile trail race on May
    1). Oh well, at least I didn't fall.

    --Dan

  8. Doug Freese said:

    "Dot" <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:oEFpc.10821$hH.267861@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    Quoted message said:


    I did a 3 1/2 hour trail run on the Connecticut, NY, Mass
    border yesterday to include a small piece of the
    Appalachian Trail.. A little like Tim's experience but a
    run not a race. I'm not half bad on hills but some of
    these short step rocky climbs had me panting like a
    rutting bull. To help my comfort level it was about 80 and
    I had to haul my double UD with big bottles.

    Yea, that sounds like a small portion of one of my local
    trails (Lazy Mt, not the ones I usually run). Most of it is
    dirt or gravel (20-30% slopes), but there's some roots
    arranged like steps as well as some railroad tie-type steps
    for erosion control - both of which are larger than the
    small step size I was taking to stay aerobic. This is where
    I got cooked, thoroughly (yea, it was 80+F with a cb of
    gear and water 😉 Your run was much longer and more
    technical, but I had a brief intro 010 to it (won't give it
    credit for being a 100-level course 😉. I really began to
    appreciate the concept of "going out too fast" doesn't
    necessarily mean speed 😉 and the energy cost of running up
    steep stuff isn't worth the increment of speed gained - if
    any. I knew it, but I had to experiment and see where my
    levels were 😉 Still working on it. And I do recognize that
    "hard" workouts don't even have to involve running - just
    where your effort level is.

    Quoted message said:


    Anyway, a lot of these trails are not runable most unlike
    the stuff I usually enjoy. To say the least those step ups
    were tough. Why the masochism? I've inserted a 70 mile
    trail run for June 12 and this race similar
    characteristics. Nothing like a crash course to see if I
    can get in before the 22 hour cut off..
    laurelultra.comcourse.htm

    Going for the whole shootin' match this year, heh? 🙂 (not
    just the warmup relay you did last year). Sounds like
    that'll be your last significant long run before VT100
    (about 4 - 6 wks afterward, iirc)?

    Enjoy!

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  9. In article said:


    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is what I referring to in another thread about
    some people having and developing the strength and
    skill for downhilling. They tend to be very nimble and
    make it look so easy.

    Quoted message said:

    This is part practice and part genetics/fear. Years back
    I did trail runs that were classified as ugly. I did get
    used to the footing but never the reckless abandon as
    others. I would need to look before I would leap while
    the good/fast runners would leap and then see where they
    were going to land.

    It's also part age -- downhill speed is the first thing to
    go, both for my podiatrist (2:24 marathoner) and me (a
    fair bit slower). Whereas I used to

    I think downhill running involves more neuromuscular work.
    Perhaps part of an association between passing on the
    downhill and staying ahead is that going slowly on the
    downhill is a symptom of fatigue and mental slacking off.
    Where age comes into this picture is that raw legspeed seems
    to be first to go in old people. The 55+ American record for
    the mile is 4:50, the marathon is 2:33. Anecdotally, I find
    myself able to stay ahead of the top masters guys in my team
    on quarter mile reps, but they are stronger on the tempos.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  10. Dan Stumpus said:

    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is what I referring to in another thread about some
    people having and developing the strength and skill for
    downhilling. They tend to be very nimble and make it look
    so easy.

    Quoted message said:

    This is part practice and part genetics/fear. Years back I
    did trail runs that were classified as ugly. I did get
    used to the footing but never the reckless abandon as
    others. I would need to look before I would leap while the
    good/fast runners would leap and then see where they were
    going to land.

    It's also part age -- downhill speed is the first thing to
    go, both for my podiatrist (2:24 marathoner) and me (a
    fair bit slower). Whereas I used to keep up with folks on
    uphills and smoke them on the way down, it's now exactly
    the opposite, if there's any technical descending.

    My take for what a good "downhiller" (I'm not, I'm wimpy)
    needs for technical trails:

    1. confidence (aka guts, balls, reckless abandon, youthful
    indescretion, not understanding the phrase "it hurts when
    I fall", etc)

    2. good foot-eye coordination and the reaction time and
    reflexes to respond to it (proprioception, quickness,
    coordination)

    3. followed by an assortment of things like strength, leg
    speed etc to support #1 and 2.

    My gut feeling is that #2 goes first with age, and once you
    start falling, #1 drops also. If you have 2, you probably
    have 1 or are totally unaware of there being an issue 😉 #2
    can be improved with practice and drills up to genetic / age
    "limitations".

    Quoted message said:


    I remember flying down boulders, just like you said, leap
    off, eyes focused 8 feet in front in a totally zen state,
    and figure out the landing zone on the fly. Now I end up
    spraining ankles (like I did in a 25 mile trail race on
    May 1). Oh well, at least I didn't fall.

    Dan, have you looked at any proprioception drills to
    strengthen ankle in recovery. There's actually some
    interesting papers on the different response of a once-
    injured (or multiple times) ankle to additional stress. Try
    searching PP online (or I might have linked to some in past
    posts on proprioception), but most of my reading has been
    the current (last couple years) issues of PP, SIB, or RRN
    (I'm probably pulling from all 3 plus some trail running
    stuff and can't remember exactly where all the stuff is
    since I've been doing hw on it for almost 2 years since PT
    found my foot/ankle problems). I do them just to avoid
    injury and they really help a lot. We also do some agility
    drills in my winter xt class, although we only did them one
    week this year, so I was disappointed, and I definitely
    notice my slower reaction time this spring (another year
    older probably doesn't help either and more snowshoe
    running, but I don't think that's it).

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  11. "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is what I referring to in another thread about
    some


    people having

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and developing the strength and skill for downhilling.
    They


    tend

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to be very nimble and make it look so easy.

    Quoted message said:

    This is part practice and part genetics/fear. Years back
    I did trail runs that were classified as ugly. I did get
    used to the footing but never the reckless abandon as
    others. I would need to look before I would leap while
    the good/fast runners would


    leap

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and then see where they were going to land.

    It's also part age -- downhill speed is the first
    thing to go,


    both for my

    Quoted message said:

    podiatrist (2:24 marathoner) and me (a fair bit
    slower). Whereas


    I used to

    Quoted message said:

    keep up with folks on uphills and smoke them on the way
    down, it's


    now

    Quoted message said:

    exactly the opposite, if there's any technical descending.

    I remember flying down boulders, just like you said,
    leap off,


    eyes focused

    Quoted message said:

    8 feet in front in a totally zen state, and figure out
    the landing


    zone on

    Quoted message said:

    the fly. Now I end up spraining ankles (like I did in
    a 25 mile


    trail race

    Quoted message said:

    on May 1). Oh well, at least I didn't fall.

    Ain't MEN-o-pause a [censored]? 😉 I still train hard to do my
    best but accept the fact that there is some slowing and all
    I can do is slow the slowing. I'm a long way from the
    cutoffs so I still have a year or two left.

    --
    Doug Freese
    [email hidden]
    (Remove the NOBS)

  12. "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is what I referring to in another thread about
    some


    people having

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and developing the strength and skill for downhilling.
    They


    tend

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to be very nimble and make it look so easy.

    Quoted message said:

    This is part practice and part genetics/fear. Years back
    I did trail runs that were classified as ugly. I did get
    used to the footing but never the reckless abandon as
    others. I would need to look before I would leap while
    the good/fast runners would


    leap

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and then see where they were going to land.

    It's also part age -- downhill speed is the first
    thing to go,


    both for my

    Quoted message said:

    podiatrist (2:24 marathoner) and me (a fair bit
    slower). Whereas


    I used to

    Quoted message said:

    keep up with folks on uphills and smoke them on the way
    down, it's


    now

    Quoted message said:

    exactly the opposite, if there's any technical descending.

    I remember flying down boulders, just like you said,
    leap off,


    eyes focused

    Quoted message said:

    8 feet in front in a totally zen state, and figure out
    the landing


    zone on

    Quoted message said:

    the fly. Now I end up spraining ankles (like I did in
    a 25 mile


    trail race

    Quoted message said:

    on May 1). Oh well, at least I didn't fall.

    Ain't MEN-o-pause a [censored]? 😉 I still train hard to do my
    best but accept the fact that there is some slowing and all
    I can do is slow the slowing. I'm a long way from the
    cutoffs so I still have a year or two left.

    --
    Doug Freese
    [email hidden]
    (Remove the NOBS)

  13. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,


    Dan Stumpus said:
    Quoted message said:


    I think downhill running involves more neuromuscular
    work. Perhaps


    part of an

    Quoted message said:

    association between passing on the downhill and staying
    ahead is


    that going

    Quoted message said:

    slowly on the downhill is a symptom of fatigue and mental
    slacking


    off. Where

    Quoted message said:

    age comes into this picture is that raw legspeed seems to
    be first


    to go in

    Quoted message said:

    old people. The 55+ American record for the mile is
    4:50, the


    marathon is 2:33.

    Quoted message said:

    Anecdotally, I find myself able to stay ahead of the
    top masters


    guys in my

    Quoted message said:

    team on quarter mile reps, but they are stronger on
    the tempos.

    Donovan, the downhills that Dan and I are talking about are
    trails with rocks, roots and many feet of sudden drop that
    you can't see.

    I'm sure neuromuscular is a part but there is heavy case of
    "balls" to run this stuff hard and stay uninjured. Would you
    leap blindly off a rock and THEN look to see how and where
    you will land? 😉

    --
    Doug Freese
    [email hidden]
    (Remove the NOBS)

  14. < Most annoyingly, I've just discovered that the same

    Quoted message said:

    organisers run a longer hill race on the same mountain on
    the 12th of


    June,

    Quoted message said:

    the day before my Edinburgh marathon. I'd dearly love to
    do it but it's going to have to wait until next year
    now. :-(

    Tim

    I don't know quite what to say to that. How sad? Go for
    it? Be a devil? How sensible? Put it in the bank for a
    treat for 2006?

  15. In article said:


    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,


    Dan Stumpus said:
    Quoted message said:


    I think downhill running involves more neuromuscular
    work. Perhaps


    part of an

    Quoted message said:

    association between passing on the downhill and staying
    ahead is


    that going

    Quoted message said:

    slowly on the downhill is a symptom of fatigue and mental
    slacking


    off. Where

    Quoted message said:

    age comes into this picture is that raw legspeed seems to
    be first


    to go in

    Quoted message said:

    old people. The 55+ American record for the mile is
    4:50, the


    marathon is 2:33.

    Quoted message said:

    Anecdotally, I find myself able to stay ahead of the top
    masters


    guys in my

    Quoted message said:

    team on quarter mile reps, but they are stronger on the
    tempos.

    Donovan, the downhills that Dan and I are talking about
    are trails with rocks, roots and many feet of sudden drop
    that you can't see.

    I'm sure neuromuscular is a part but there is heavy case
    of "balls" to run this stuff hard and stay uninjured.

    Yeah, I was thinking of smooth downhills, but I have run
    down extreme downhills (20% or more in the bush -- when I
    was young and foolish enough to do such things) so I'm
    familiar with it. In this case, it's a mixture of
    adreneline, balance and fast reflexes -- still a point on
    which the old folks are likely to be at a disadvantage.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  16. He're a rather naff photo of GoatFell taken from our start
    position. You can see our approximate route to the top.

    zen31010.zen.co.ukroute.jpg

    Tim
    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  17. Tim Downie said:

    He're a rather naff photo of GoatFell taken from our start
    position. You can see our approximate route to the top.

    zen31010.zen.co.ukroute.jpg

    Tim, Thanks for posting this. I was getting the feeling that
    some people didn't understand what type of trail you were
    running. Looks similar to one of our local hills (3000ft in
    2-2.5 miles, depending upon whether using horizontal
    measurement on trail map or trail guide).

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  18. That is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen,
    when you consider that most hills in Oxford are done and
    dusted in 2 minutes!!

    Am hopefully going to do tough guy next Jan with a couple of
    mates and the 8mile XC before the assault course features a
    hill section which you have to run up and down 12
    times....... I need to find some hills from which to throw
    myself down with 'youthful indiscretion', as Dot so
    eloquently put it!

    D

    --

    Ask for my e-mail if needed

  19. Tim Downie said:

    Well,that was fun. (And it's not often I say that
    about a race).

    Timmy, Timmy, Timmy, what *are* you doing? Swanning off to
    Arran with your chum to race up that excuse for a mountain?

    Three things to consider before you undertake such jaunts
    in future.

    1. Fell-running is not for the sane or the lycra-clad.
    It's a throwback to the days of 'real' running,
    interspersed with interlopers like yourself who have no
    business outside of a 'Peoples Marathon'. Stop
    attending these events. You know it makes sense.

    2. Arran is a horrid place. I shan't explain this further.
    Suffice to say that - were God to remove it from the
    earth this evening - no-one of taste and refinement
    would notice.

    3. Weekends are for family. Ignore yours at your peril. To
    be alienated from ones wife is acceptable, even
    desirable. To be separated from ones children before
    they run screaming from your grasp is unforgivable. As a
    penance, you must spend the next ten weekends doing
    things with/for them that they enjoy, even if you have
    to give your long run a miss to do so.

    Here endeth the lesson.

    Emily. Who knows *heaps* about important stuff like this.

  20. Caroline's adorable cousin said:
    Tim Downie said:

    Well,that was fun. (And it's not often I say that about
    a race).

    Timmy, Timmy, Timmy, what *are* you doing? Swanning off to
    Arran with your chum to race up that excuse for a
    mountain?

    Admit it. You're deeply jealous that you're not up to this
    kind of running any more. ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    Three things to consider before you undertake such jaunts
    in future.

    1. Fell-running is not for the sane

    Agreed

    Quoted message said:

    or the lycra-clad.

    Oh I dunno. I wasn't the only one sporting lycra.

    Quoted message said:

    It's a throwback to the days of 'real' running,
    interspersed with interlopers like yourself who have no
    business outside of a 'Peoples Marathon'. Stop attending
    these events. You know it makes sense.

    My next stupid "peoples marathon" is currently causing me
    alot of grief, happening as it does, the day after the next
    Goatfell race (which includes the Glen Rosa horseshoe).
    Having paid good money for the Edinburgh bash (*and* Red Hot
    Chilli Pepper tickets for my offspring) I think I'm
    committed to doing it when I'd far rather be in Arran.

    Would you mind running it for me? (see
    scottishathletics.org.ukevent.php for
    entry details). I'd hate for neither of us to get up there
    on the day.

    Quoted message said:

    2. Arran is a horrid place. I shan't explain this
    further.

    Ha! I bet you have a second home or mistress or some such
    thing hiding there.

    Quoted message said:

    Suffice to say that - were God to remove it from the
    earth this evening - no-one of taste and refinement
    would notice.

    Methinks you want it to yourself.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Weekends are for family. Ignore yours at your peril.
    To be alienated from ones wife is acceptable, even
    desirable. To be separated from ones children before
    they run screaming from your grasp is unforgivable.

    Given that one was studying for her standard grades all day
    and the other having fun on horseback, I don't think they
    missed me too much that day. Besides, a happy father is a
    good father and running up hills makes me happy.

    Quoted message said:

    As a penance, you must spend the next ten weekends doing
    things with/for them that they enjoy, even if you have
    to give your long run a miss to do so.

    Hmmm... Surely a father's job is to introduce your children
    to things that they *don't* know they will enjoy. Hill
    running for instance. ;-)

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.