Triathlon · Public discussion

Giving Blood and Heart Rate

Started by Booner · · Last activity · 7 posts · 2,009 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
19 January 2004
Last activity
22 January 2004
Original author
Booner
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,009
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Over the past few years, I've noticed that after I give blood my heart rate is elevated 7 - 12 beats
    for about 4 - 6 weeks. Is this normal?? Am I crazy??

  2. booner said:

    Over the past few years, I've noticed that after I give blood my heart rate is elevated 7 - 12
    beats for about 4 - 6 weeks. Is this normal?? Am I crazy??


    I'm no medical master, but logistically it sounds about right.

    An "average" person has about 8 pints of blood in their body. When you give blood, you give up 1
    pint which is 12.5%. You now have less blood in your body, but your muscles still need the same
    amount delivered to them, so your heart must beat 12.5% more to keep up the blood distribution. If
    your resting heart rate is 50bpm, then an elevation of 12.5% will bring it up to 56 bpm. If you are
    working at a higher rate like say 130bpm then it will go up by 16bpm.

    Over the 4-6 weeks, yor body will regenerate the blood and your HR should start to drop.

    Of course I'm just making this [censored] up off the top of my head, so don't take any of this for fact.

  3. booner said:

    Over the past few years, I've noticed that after I give blood my heart rate is elevated 7 - 12
    beats for about 4 - 6 weeks. Is this normal?? Am I crazy??

    I notice an increase in my HR for a few days after a donation but nothing close to your 4-6 weeks.
    I'd say that in my case the effect is manifest for at most one week.

    Jim Turner

  4. asweepay said:

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:59:10 GMT, "booner" <[email hidden]> wrote: An "average" person has
    about 8 pints of blood in their body. When you give blood, you give up 1 pint which is 12.5%. You
    now have less blood in your body, but your muscles still need the same amount delivered to them,
    so your heart must beat 12.5% more to keep up the blood distribution. If your resting heart rate
    is 50bpm, then an elevation of 12.5% will bring it up to 56 bpm. If you are working at a higher
    rate like say 130bpm then it will go up by 16bpm.

    Over the 4-6 weeks, yor body will regenerate the blood and your HR should start to drop.

    Of course I'm just making this [censored] up off the top of my head, so don't take any of this for fact.


    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. But if I had to take a stab at it I'd say
    that the missing blood volume is quickly replaced by water so the number of red blood cells per
    unit of volume is diluted. So the heart has to beat faster and push a greater volume to get the
    same number of red blood cells per second to the muscles. But then again I don't know any more
    about this stuff than you.

    JJ

  5. Check out the January issue of Triathlete. "Coaches Corner" has a response to a similar question.
    They said that you'll see the effects (through elevated heart rate, just like asweepay said) for ~ 4
    weeks...and that you should probably take at least 48 hours off afterwards.

    [email hidden] (JimTurner2) wrote in message news:<20040119161305.11022.00003583@mb-
    m14.aol.com>...

    Quoted message said:
    booner said:

    Over the past few years, I've noticed that after I give blood my heart rate is elevated 7 - 12
    beats for about 4 - 6 weeks. Is this normal?? Am I crazy??

    I notice an increase in my HR for a few days after a donation but nothing close to your 4-6 weeks.
    I'd say that in my case the effect is manifest for at most one week.

    Jim Turner

  6. "booner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:iGWOb.84356$Rc4.305661@attbi_s54...

    Quoted message said:

    Over the past few years, I've noticed that after I give blood my heart


    rate

    Quoted message said:

    is elevated 7 - 12 beats for about 4 - 6 weeks. Is this normal?? Am I crazy??

    This is perfectly normal. You're crazy only if you give blood expecting it to not affect your
    performance ability.

    Andy Coggan

  7. I guess I didn't expect giving blood to effect my training so much and for so long.

    "Andy Coggan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "booner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:iGWOb.84356$Rc4.305661@attbi_s54...

    Quoted message said:

    Over the past few years, I've noticed that after I give blood my heart


    rate

    Quoted message said:

    is elevated 7 - 12 beats for about 4 - 6 weeks. Is this normal?? Am I crazy??

    This is perfectly normal. You're crazy only if you give blood expecting it to not affect your
    performance ability.

    Andy Coggan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.