General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

German Egg Yolk Piercer ??? Ping Victor !!!

Started by Mark Thorson · · Last activity · 23 posts · 277 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 May 2007
Last activity
28 May 2007
Original author
Mark Thorson
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
277
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

  2. Mark wrote on Sat, 26 May 2007 12:00:52 -0700:

    MT> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    MT> Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Looks like an old and rather useless lemon squeezer to me. There
    is a device to put a pinhole in an egg *shell* to prevent
    breakage when hard-boiling but that's not what is.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  3. Mark Thorson said...

    Quoted message said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    This time I'm fairly certain it's a an ashtray that the help carries around
    the cocktail parties for guests to extinguish their cigarettes or tip their
    ashes or both.

    Andy

  4. James Silverton said:


    Looks like an old and rather useless lemon squeezer to me.
    There is a device to put a pinhole in an egg *shell* to
    prevent breakage when hard-boiling but that's not what is.

    Isn't it a bit too small for that?

    A _lime_ squeezer, maybe.

    Not for somebody who needs a large
    quantity of lime juice for a pie
    or something.

    For a wedge of lime, for some types
    of cocktails.

    I bet that's it -- this is a bar
    accessory.

  5. Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    I vote pill crusher. It explains the enlogated V-shaped lip in
    the front where the powder would slide out from under the hinge.

    -sw

  6. Andy said:


    This time I'm fairly certain it's a an ashtray that the
    help carries around the cocktail parties for guests to
    extinguish their cigarettes or tip their ashes or both.

    That's called a "silent butler" and they are
    always available in many styles on eBay,
    usually antique and often in silver with
    fancy wood handles.

    Right now, there's 113 of them listed:

    http://search.ebay.com/silent-butler_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

    However, one thing they all have in common
    is they have enough capacity to hold the
    contents of an ashtray. This device is
    only 3 inches wide. It's definitely too
    small to be a silent butler. Also, the
    "lid" opens in the wrong direction.
    And the lid has dimples in it which would
    have no purpose in a silent butler.

  7. Mark Thorson said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:


    This time I'm fairly certain it's a an ashtray that the
    help carries around the cocktail parties for guests to
    extinguish their cigarettes or tip their ashes or both.

    That's called a "silent butler" and they are
    always available in many styles on eBay,
    usually antique and often in silver with
    fancy wood handles.

    Right now, there's 113 of them listed:

    http://search.ebay.com/silent-butler_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

    However, one thing they all have in common
    is they have enough capacity to hold the
    contents of an ashtray. This device is
    only 3 inches wide. It's definitely too
    small to be a silent butler. Also, the
    "lid" opens in the wrong direction.
    And the lid has dimples in it which would
    have no purpose in a silent butler.

    It's an ashtray. I smoked long enough to recognize tar and nicotine crust
    buildup and tarnish.

    At formal cocktail parties of old where there were no tables and everyone
    mingled, a set number of the staffer's only job was to carry these up to
    guests for them to tap their ashes into and or let the smoker push it into
    the dimples to extinguish the ember (maybe it was even the ashtray holder's
    job to relieve them of the butt if handed over to extinguish it). Then when
    the butt was out, the staffer would flip the plate up, tossing the butt in
    the back of the tray and flip back. This kept the butts separate from the
    ash collection area in the front. At some point this staffer would join up
    with another staffer with a silent butler and empty the remains of the
    "floating ashtray". It was in accordance with the opulence of the day.

    Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😉

    Andy

  8. Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    No, I have the egg piercer. That is a tea bag squeezer!

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  9. "Giusi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    No, I have the egg piercer. That is a tea bag squeezer!

    <G>

  10. Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    It is a typical lemon-wedge press, often used for tea with lemon.

    Victor

  11. Victor Sack said:
    Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    It is a typical lemon-wedge press, often used for tea with lemon.

    Victor

    I have the same kind of thingy in my kitchen drawer. I used to have
    some more, so that I could serve each person who asked for tea with
    lemon his/her own wedge of lemon in the little squeezer. One by one I
    gave them away, until I have only one left.

  12. Giusi said:
    Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    No, I have the egg piercer. That is a tea bag squeezer!

    I'm with you Giusi, it's a tea bag squeezer.

    Koko
    ---
    http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  13. Koko said:


    Giusi said:

    No, I have the egg piercer. That is a tea bag squeezer!

    I'm with you Giusi, it's a tea bag squeezer.

    Uh huh. Give the other leg a yank.

  14. margaret suran said:
    Victor Sack said:

    It is a typical lemon-wedge press, often used for tea with lemon.

    I have the same kind of thingy in my kitchen drawer. I used to have
    some more, so that I could serve each person who asked for tea with
    lemon his/her own wedge of lemon in the little squeezer. One by one I
    gave them away, until I have only one left.

    I doubt it. No kraut uses lemons, they're all plenty sour enough from
    birth... krauts bleed vinegar ya know.

    Sheldon

  15. Quoted message said:

    (Mark Thorson)
    Seen recently on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149
    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?
    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks, and why
    would you do that?


    ------------------------------------------------------
    I don't have a clue what it is BUT asking over $5.00 shipping & opening
    bid of $15.00 for a few ounces of rusted junk is why I seldom do E-bay
    these days.

  16. Mark Thorson said:

    Seen recently on eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    Is somebody pulling the seller's leg on this?

    Just how does this thing pierce egg yolks,
    and why would you do that?

    Its a Mountain Oyster poacher. They came in sets of four
    graduated sizes, from petite to majestic.

  17. ms. tonya said:


    I don't have a clue what it is BUT asking over $5.00 shipping & opening
    bid of $15.00 for a few ounces of rusted junk is why I seldom do E-bay
    these days.

    I get great deals on eBay all the time.
    This just doesn't happen to be one of them.

  18. Mark Thorson said:
    ms. tonya said:


    I don't have a clue what it is BUT asking over $5.00 shipping & opening
    bid of $15.00 for a few ounces of rusted junk is why I seldom do E-bay
    these days.

    I get great deals on eBay all the time.
    This just doesn't happen to be one of them.

    Yep, there are tons of deals out there if you know what you're looking for and
    have an effective bidding strategy. Not getting caught up in bidding wars is one
    of my most important rules. Even "rare, one of a kind" items seem to come up
    again eventually. On "new" stuff, there are a lot of bad deals out there, often
    at prices higher than one could get the same item for elsewhere.

    I once bought a $25 piece of "rusted junk" (literally rusty) on eBay. I was the
    only bidder. The item was incorrectly described as a two spouted cast iron
    teapot. What it really was is a yellow dog derrick lamp from the early days of
    the oil industry, back when Pennsylvania was the center of it. Obviously that
    was in the 1800s. My $25 piece of rusty junk normally goes for a $75-$225 on
    eBay. Misidentified items are some of the best deals on eBay.

    By the way, that "few ounces of rusted junk" has recently been discounted by the
    seller. The starting bid is now $9 instead of $15.

    Sometimes if I don't like the price of an item, I just wait. Sellers don't
    reduce the price that often while the listing is active, but they do so fairly
    regularly if they relist. On several occassions I've waited until the item is
    relisted and then bid on it at the reduced price. I got a $24.99 item for $14.99
    in the last couple of weeks that way. I'm patient.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  19. wff_ng_7 said:


    I once bought a $25 piece of "rusted junk" (literally rusty) on eBay. I was the
    only bidder. The item was incorrectly described as a two spouted cast iron
    teapot. What it really was is a yellow dog derrick lamp from the early days of
    the oil industry, back when Pennsylvania was the center of it. Obviously that
    was in the 1800s. My $25 piece of rusty junk normally goes for a $75-$225 on
    eBay. Misidentified items are some of the best deals on eBay.

    One of my best "incorrect description" buys
    is a supersonic wind tunnel model for the
    F-106 Delta Dart. The seller had no clue
    what it was, except that he thought it might
    be part of a weapon. He found it in a junk
    car he hauled for scrap. I paid $50 for it,
    but I've seen similar items (properly described,
    of course) sell in the thousands. An XB-70
    wind tunnel model (admittedly a much nicer
    piece than mine) recently sold for over $8000.

    I don't know what mine would fetch, but I'm
    tempted to find out.

    eBay is great. I've been able to get just
    about everything I've ever wanted, in some
    cases more than one. I never thought I'd
    ever own a copy of the IBM 7030 reference
    manual, but I do. And the CDC 6600 and 7600
    manuals. Two copies of the Cray-1 manual.
    Life is sweet.

    Too bad about the latest duck press.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270122350003

    Some people just love their bloody ducks,
    I guess.

    And one of you must have tipped off the
    seller of the item which started this
    thread.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ280118432149

    He's changed the description from egg yolk
    piercer to citrus juicer :-) and knocked
    down the starting bid to $9. Still too
    rich for me. :-)

  20. Mark Thorson said:
    wff_ng_7 said:


    I once bought a $25 piece of "rusted junk" (literally rusty) on eBay. I was
    the
    only bidder. The item was incorrectly described as a two spouted cast iron
    teapot. What it really was is a yellow dog derrick lamp from the early days
    of
    the oil industry, back when Pennsylvania was the center of it. Obviously that
    was in the 1800s. My $25 piece of rusty junk normally goes for a $75-$225 on
    eBay. Misidentified items are some of the best deals on eBay.

    One of my best "incorrect description" buys
    is a supersonic wind tunnel model for the
    F-106 Delta Dart. The seller had no clue
    what it was, except that he thought it might
    be part of a weapon. He found it in a junk
    car he hauled for scrap. I paid $50 for it,
    but I've seen similar items (properly described,
    of course) sell in the thousands. An XB-70
    wind tunnel model (admittedly a much nicer
    piece than mine) recently sold for over $8000.

    I don't know what mine would fetch, but I'm
    tempted to find out.

    I once saw something quite similar to that, but unfortunately the seller did
    know what it was but I suspect had no idea of its value. It was a ship model
    made by Bethlehem Steel. The model was of some Navy ship built in the 1960s, and
    the model was made of steel and about 3 feet long. Bethlehem Steel built the
    real ship in one of their shipyards. This model may have been used to get the
    Navy contract. Because the model was listed correctly, it went for a pretty good
    price (way more than I was willing to pay).

    Quoted message said:


    eBay is great. I've been able to get just
    about everything I've ever wanted, in some
    cases more than one. I never thought I'd
    ever own a copy of the IBM 7030 reference
    manual, but I do. And the CDC 6600 and 7600
    manuals. Two copies of the Cray-1 manual.
    Life is sweet.

    At least I know what those machines are! ;-) I used a CDC 6400 in college and
    later worked on a Cray Y-MP with a VAX 9000 front end. I've got a DECsystem-10
    hardware reference manual from a similar era (30+ years ago), but I didn't get
    it off eBay.

    There is an almost unbelievable assortment of good "junk" on eBay. I got a
    service manual for the 1971 Plymouth Duster I had. I got a beautiful book on
    Bryn Athyn Cathedral that I wanted so much 35 years ago, but couldn't afford at
    the time. I got it on eBay for $15, which I know is way less than what it
    originally sold for, without even taking inflation into account. On more recent
    items, I got a brand new in box draft fan motor for my furnace for 40% less that
    the lowest price I could find for it elsewhere on the internet. There are so
    many oddball things I'd like to get on eBay, so I really have to restrain
    myself! ;-)

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.