Road Cycling · Public discussion

Gear you can't give up?

Started by Gooserider · · Last activity · 12 posts · 288 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 July 2004
Last activity
6 July 2004
Original author
Gooserider
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
288
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
    used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
    them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
    they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
    discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
    to which they've become so attached?

    Mike

  2. Gooserider said:

    I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
    used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
    them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
    they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
    discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
    to which they've become so attached?

    bar-cons. i cannot imagine shifting any other way. i have them on my
    touring bike and my road bike, and i love love love them.

  3. Gooserider said:

    I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
    used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
    them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
    they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
    discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
    to which they've become so attached?

    SunTour New Winner freewheels and their cogs. I've got them on four
    bikes, at least. Someone gave (!) me a well-stocked sprocket board
    once, and I keep replacing cogs as they wear. I dread the day when I
    can't find my favorite cog sizes.

    Yeah, they're only good for friction shifting. Small price to pay. ;-)

    --
    --------------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com,
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  4. Granny!

    Bill "God bless 'er" S.

  5. Gooserider said:

    I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
    used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
    them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
    they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
    discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
    to which they've become so attached?

    I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I have a
    fifteen (or so) year old Cannondale seat pack that I'm loathe to give
    up on. It's one of the models that had a plastic two-pronged fitting
    on top that twisted and snapped into the saddle rails, and a velcro
    strap around the seatpost. Its shape is maintained by a black sheet
    plastic insert that has broken a number of times over the years. The
    weak point is the three holes drilled in it to accommodate the saddle
    rail fitting. That part was long ago repaired and reinforced with a
    thin sheet of aluminum and epoxy.

    At some point the stitching around the zipper started to give up. I
    repaired it with some heavy duty, tan colored upholstery thread. My
    sewing skills are so bad I camouflaged the job by coloring it with a
    black marking pen. ;-)

    A couple of years ago an employee at my LBS told me about a bike shop
    in Texas somewhere that still had these in stock. I like the pack so
    much I was tempted to call and see if they would mail order a couple
    to me. Alas, I've since lost the phone number and the guy who told me
    about it is long gone. :-(

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  6. John Everett said:

    At some point the stitching around the zipper started to give up. I
    repaired it with some heavy duty, tan colored upholstery thread. My

    Why is tan thread always the thread that happens to be around when
    us non-sewers (eww...that sounds wrong) attempt a repair on non-tan
    (especially black) items?

    I have at least two black items repaired (badly) with tan thread.

    Quoted message said:

    sewing skills are so bad I camouflaged the job by coloring it with a
    black marking pen. ;-)

    My dad spilled bleach near the crotch of his blue jeans. He
    attempted to color it in with a blue marker, but the shade is
    entirely wrong, so now it looks like he's had some terrible
    industrial accident in a venereal disease testing lab...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. Quoted message said:

    I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for
    10 or more years, and have used with four bikes.

    Most of my cycling gear is that old [or older], not because of any
    attachment, but because I am way too cheap to replace gear that still works.

    --
    Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
    http://www.irobotmovie.com/

  8. Rick Onanian said:

    My dad spilled bleach near the crotch of his blue jeans. He
    attempted to color it in with a blue marker, but the shade is
    entirely wrong, so now it looks like he's had some terrible
    industrial accident in a venereal disease testing lab...

    OK, Rick, take a crowbar to that family trait of yours and BUY YOUR DAD SOME
    NEW DUDS!!!

    Bill "unless he's housebound or something" 🙂 S.

  9. Gooserider said:

    Anybody else have anything to which they've become so attached?

    Top-mount thumb shifters. I have three sets installed on bikes and
    two spare sets in the parts bin, which I probably won't need because
    I've never had one break.

  10. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gooserider said:

    I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
    used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
    them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
    they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
    discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
    to which they've become so attached?

    _ A bike frame. I got it in 1976 when I was 15. It's a
    Mirella. It's really too small for me now and it's not anything
    particularly special in the tubing or construction department.
    Even in 1976, it was a bit on the heavy side, what's left of the
    paint job is hideous, but it says "let's keep riding" after 40 or
    50 miles in a way that no other bike does.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQOXRKmTWTAjn5N/lAQHhrQQAqubqkiMtnV/ikzAQpIucySLgwNX+PGuO
    8uy+1C/7LzU4NFfSZiBhkFj9FLCjQa5+iDkwyjriBbRlbLM7oHJchUr9W2L+Pbxu
    TmbMqOalzWj/jSZbqDKfcG68goBQnODc1XVXRJA2e+KQ7aqSbUqhFtMWgfIySgFr
    M3VSGqBs9rY=
    =Zp4H
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  11. Thing-a-ma-jig on my Titus Switchblade. Went thru rear der. cables like
    crazy till I got that thin--- er, device; been using same one for well over
    a year now. (Damn cable is frayed at the bolt, too, but just won't die.
    Got some fancy teflon one to install SOME day...)

    Bill "chronic sore right thumb" S.

  12. Gooserider said:

    I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
    used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
    them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
    they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
    discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
    to which they've become so attached?

    Mike

    I just bought a bike so its new. The gear I can't give up is my 1958
    Gibson Epiphone solid body electric guitar. I musta done 1,000
    sessions with that axe. Its beat to [censored] and had several mods and it
    still tunes like a dream.

    Michael J. Klein [email hidden]
    Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
    ---------------------------------------------

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.