[email hidden] (Meghan Noecker) hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:A lot of you have mentioned gardening, so I figured I might as well
ask.
Do any of you garden in horrible conditions - very little light, too
much rain?
Steven purchased (as a joke), a miner's hat for people the go into the
mines to work, for me as a birthday gift. It was because I was out there
in the dark gardening.
Quoted message said:
When we first moved here, my mom tried to garden. Only one spot had
decent light, so she tried potatoes. We got some great bite sized
potatoes. We all laughed, and she gave up.
We don't have a lot of sunshine but spots around the house get decent sun.
I'm not naive enough about gardening to try veggies but I do manage some
fairly decent chiles. I put them in pots so I can move them around.
Quoted message said:
When we spent a few years in Iowa, we had a 1/2 acre garden that was
really nice. But now all we seem to grow is Moss. This is Western
Washington, and our house is surrounded by tall trees. Not a lot of
light. We can't even grow grass.
My mom does grow tomatos in large pots, but she must pull them while
they are green, or the raccoons will eat them.
Are there any veggies than would grow well in large pots or bins but
not much light?
It was Debra (I think) and she grows baby letuces in a smaller pot. I'm
going to try that this year from seed. I grow a lot of different chiles in
pots. I just know tomatoes wouldn't make it around here. It's too shady
and we have too many raccoons and squirrels.
It can be 90 degrees outside but it will still be 70 degrees in the back
yard. We've had 3 trees removed and it's still shady althouth the day
lillies do wonderfully.
Michael
--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
found."
--Calvin Trillin