UK and Europe · Public discussion

Galaxy Brakes and Kool Stop Salmon Pads

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,020 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 September 2005
Last activity
8 September 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,020
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've never been that happy with my Dawes Galaxy brakes. Standard cantis
    fitted with original equipment pads. While adequate in the dry without
    any load they were not quite up to it for loaded touring. I xeven
    looked at the cost of Diacompe 287V levers and converting to V brakes.
    But instead I fitted a set of Kool Stop Salmom pads (as recommended
    in prev threads on this group). I also checked the set up as per
    Sheldons Canti brake pages. What a difference. Effortless braking with
    plenty in reserve.
    If anyone else has dodgy brakes on a Galaxy try Kool Stops before
    spending any more money.
    Iain

  2. Quoted message said:

    If anyone else has dodgy brakes on a Galaxy try Kool Stops before
    spending any more money.

    That's exactly my experience. Kool Stop Salmons are the only pads I've
    tried on the Galaxy that give the brakes reasonable stopping power.

    --
    Dave...

  3. "dkahn400" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If anyone else has dodgy brakes on a Galaxy try Kool Stops before
    spending any more money.

    That's exactly my experience. Kool Stop Salmons are the only pads I've
    tried on the Galaxy that give the brakes reasonable stopping power.

    UK supplier is?

  4. Tony W said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's exactly my experience. Kool Stop Salmons are the only pads
    I've tried on the Galaxy that give the brakes reasonable stopping
    power.

    UK supplier is?

    www.Wiggle.co.uk

    ~PB

  5. Is this a covert sales promo? The first thing that struck me about my
    Dawes Galaxy (new 3 yrs ago) was the the brakes were the best I've ever
    had and very adequate when fully loaded with camping gear - so there!

    cheers

    Jacob

  6. Quoted message said:

    Is this a covert sales promo? The first thing that struck me about my
    Dawes Galaxy (new 3 yrs ago) was the the brakes were the best I've ever
    had and very adequate when fully loaded with camping gear - so there!

    All that that proves is you haven't ever had hydraulics! A well
    adjusted mechanical brake will do a fine job, but once you've used a
    hydraulic like the Magura HS 33 you'll realise that when it comes to
    fine control you can do a fair bit better.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Quoted message said:

    Is this a covert sales promo? The first thing that struck me about
    my Dawes Galaxy (new 3 yrs ago) was the the brakes were the best
    I've ever had and very adequate when fully loaded with camping
    gear - so there!

    No. Even having Sheldonised the setup I could neither skid nor lift the
    rear wheel with the original pads. They were, however, superior to the
    old Mafac cantis on my H.R. Morris, which shows how poor they were.

    I also find I have to re-adjust the brakes much less often with the
    Kool Stops as they don't seem to wear down so quickly.

    --
    Dave...

  8. Quoted message said:

    Is this a covert sales promo?

    No. If you'd bothered to check you could have seen I'm a regular though
    infrequent contributer to this group. In fact I commented in the
    passing on my Galaxy brakes being "dodgy" in a Dec 2003 thread.

    The first thing that struck me about my

    Quoted message said:

    Dawes Galaxy (new 3 yrs ago) was the the brakes were the best I've ever
    had and very adequate when fully loaded with camping gear - so there!

    I'm glad your bikes brakes are good. My Galaxys an older model and the
    brakes were never that good. Perhaps Dawes listened to feedback and
    improved the quality of the stadard pads fitted.
    Iain

  9. jaco said:

    Is this a covert sales promo? The first thing that struck me about my
    Dawes Galaxy (new 3 yrs ago) was the the brakes were the best I've ever
    had and very adequate when fully loaded with camping gear - so there!

    I've always thought that the brakes were the major letdown on my Galaxy
    (1995 IIRC), though I've never bothered experimenting with different pads.

    The Dawes hasn't seen daylight since I bought my Trek 1500... What a
    difference! But now winter's just around the corner it's probably time
    to give the Galaxy an overhaul and replace the brakes[1]. Anyone know if dual
    pivot brakes will fit on a Galaxy frame?

    Nick

    [1] Why? Can't get my shiny new bike wet & dirty now, can I?

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is this a covert sales promo?

    No. If you'd bothered to check you could have seen I'm a regular though
    infrequent contributer to this group. In fact I commented in the
    passing on my Galaxy brakes being "dodgy" in a Dec 2003 thread.

    The first thing that struck me about my

    Quoted message said:

    Dawes Galaxy (new 3 yrs ago) was the the brakes were the best I've ever
    had and very adequate when fully loaded with camping gear - so there!

    I'm glad your bikes brakes are good. My Galaxys an older model and the
    brakes were never that good. Perhaps Dawes listened to feedback and
    improved the quality of the stadard pads fitted.
    Iain

    Curious, the brakes on my 2001 Galaxy are fine.

  11. Nick. said:

    I've always thought that the brakes were the major letdown on my
    Galaxy (1995 IIRC), though I've never bothered experimenting with
    different pads.

    How about different cable settings?:
    www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

    Quoted message said:

    The Dawes hasn't seen daylight since I bought my Trek 1500... What a
    difference! But now winter's just around the corner it's probably time
    to give the Galaxy an overhaul and replace the brakes[1]. Anyone know
    if dual pivot brakes will fit on a Galaxy frame?

    Dunno specifically for the Galaxy but I fitted a DP front brake* to a
    Dawes City Vision (with mudguards and 38mm tyres) that originally had a
    canti, a bike that you'd never expect to see a DP on. All you need is one
    hole through the fork to mount it--yours might currently be occupied by a
    front reflector and cable guide thing, for example. Rear brake: I would
    suggest sticking with the canti.

    * Alongha deep-drop (with Kool Stop pads), braking was much improved in
    practice despite supposedly being no better in therory.

    ~PB


  12. Quoted message said:
    Nick. said:

    Anyone know
    if dual pivot brakes will fit on a Galaxy frame?


    I don't think they would fit my Galaxy - it lacks the hole through the
    fork for the centre bolt. (I suppose one could always drill one though.)

  13. Nick. said:

    The Dawes hasn't seen daylight since I bought my Trek 1500... What a
    difference! But now winter's just around the corner it's probably time
    to give the Galaxy an overhaul and replace the brakes[1]. Anyone know if dual
    pivot brakes will fit on a Galaxy frame?

    Maguras will, but then you're looking at a pretty high cost (my HS-33s
    were ~£60 each). Depends how much of a hack the Galaxy is, but if you
    plan on using it a lot then worth considering. Should be possible to
    move them to other bikes in future, I'd think. And IME they're better
    than any cable brakes I've ever tried.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.