General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Gaiters/No Gaiters

Started by Gary Webster · · Last activity · 50 posts · 4,083 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 July 2004
Last activity
5 July 2004
Original author
Gary Webster
Posts
50
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,083
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 50
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while after
    a suspension of activities due to the birth of my son, I
    looked down at the ankles of my companion and noticed a pair
    of recently-acquired gaiters. Now, I've never really
    considered getting a pair as I thought them to be rather
    unnecessary (viewed in much the same way as walking poles).
    But, I found myself feeling quite envious. I'm now
    considering investing in a pair and was wondering whether
    the posters in this group thought they were a worthwhile
    investment or not. Yes, I know it depends on whether or not
    I plan to go walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you
    all wear gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you
    just stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?

    I'd also be grateful for a recommendation as to what to go
    for and how much to pay.

    I'm off to Wales this weekend to take in Pen Yr Henge Du,
    Carnedd Llewellyn, Daffydd and Pen Yr Ole Wen so I'm
    thinking of nipping into my local Outdoor shop to get some.

    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    --
    Gary Webster SP106918

  2. "Gary Webster" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension


    of

    Quoted message said:

    activities due to the birth of my son, I looked down at
    the ankles of my companion and noticed a pair of recently-
    acquired gaiters. Now, I've never really considered
    getting a pair as I thought them to be rather


    unnecessary

    Quoted message said:

    (viewed in much the same way as walking poles). But, I
    found myself


    feeling

    Quoted message said:

    quite envious. I'm now considering investing in a pair and
    was wondering whether the posters in this group thought
    they were a worthwhile


    investment

    Quoted message said:

    or not. Yes, I know it depends on whether or not I plan to
    go walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear
    gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you just
    stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?

    ISTR televisions famous "The Munro Show" in which the
    hostess, Muriel Gray, would wear her gaiters no matter what
    the conditions. Sunny day, wearing shorts, skinny legs,
    still wearing gaiters....

    Since then I've lived by the the policy that if I'm not
    going through mud or snow then remember, they look stupid.

    --
    Duncan Gray

    homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk also www.mountaineering-
    scotland.org.uk The Mountaineering Council of Scotland

  3. In message <[email hidden]>
    "Gary Webster" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    or not. Yes, I know it depends on whether or not I plan to
    go walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear
    gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you just
    stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?

    Just when it's snowy, or possibly if I know it's going to be
    very muddy. There just isn't really any point in wearing
    them at any other time.

    --
    The Acorn Elite Pages: elite.acornarcade.comelite.acornarcade.com Three
    Dimensional Encounters:
    helvellyn.plus.com3dfrontier

  4. Gary Webster said:

    Now, I've never really considered getting a pair as I
    thought them to be rather unnecessary

    I agree. Bought and used them early on, now I rarely
    ever bother.

    Quoted message said:

    whether the posters in this group thought they were a
    worthwhile investment or not.

    In certain situations yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I know it depends on whether or not I plan to go
    walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear
    gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you just
    stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?

    Definitely not as a matter of course. There are two main
    reasons that I will use them.

    1. Lots of boggy ground to cross. Anticipating stepping
    into deep boggy bits.

    2. Lots of muddy ground after rain. Good for keeping
    bottoms of trousers clean if that is necessary.

    3. Walking through tall undergrowth after rain. Good for
    keeping bottoms of trousers dry without having to wear
    waterproofs.

    There was also an occasion where my feet got soaked inside
    my boots during a day of heavy rain even though I was
    wearing waterproofs. Seems that the water was running off my
    overtrousers, soaking the tops of my socks and seeping into
    my boots. Gaiters underneath my overtrousers would have
    solved that.

    Most of the time though they just aren't necessary and I can
    rarely be bothered with the hassle, except on wet, muddy
    winter days.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd also be grateful for a recommendation as to what to go
    for and how much to pay.

    No idea what's on offer these days. I recall that Roy Hill
    (is he calling himself Bootlaces these days?) has one of
    those gore-tex offerings that fits with a perfect seal to
    certain makes of boots and allows you to walk through
    rivers. If you like walking through rivers you might want to
    consider a pair of those, if you have a suitable pair of
    matching boots.

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  5. "Gary Webster" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension


    of

    Quoted message said:

    activities due to the birth of my son, I looked down at
    the ankles of my companion and noticed a pair of recently-
    acquired gaiters. Now, I've never really considered
    getting a pair as I thought them to be rather


    unnecessary

    Quoted message said:

    (viewed in much the same way as walking poles). But, I
    found myself


    feeling

    Quoted message said:

    quite envious. I'm now considering investing in a pair and
    was wondering whether the posters in this group thought
    they were a worthwhile


    investment

    Quoted message said:

    or not. Yes, I know it depends on whether or not I plan to
    go walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear
    gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you just
    stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?


    Wear gaiters if you know your route involves going through
    tall plants in fields or forests, very muddy stretches, and
    the like. Not worth wearing when on well made routes IMO but
    if in doubt, wear them and take them off if you feel daft.

    Nick

  6. "Gary Webster" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    do you all wear gaiters as a matter of course on walks or
    do you just stick 'em on if conditions are going to
    require them?

    Gary--in my experience in the UK, which only runs to
    weather in Jan-May,


    the chances of not needing gaiters are slight. In the
    morning, there is dew. Often there is rain or grass wet
    because of previous rain. Mud is not unheard of. Neither is
    thorny brush. The only trouble I find with gaiters is that
    if the top cinch is tight (my gaiters are gore-tex) so much
    moisture builds up that the covered area of my trousers is
    soaked--and the chances of moisture building up in the boots
    (leading to blisters) also increase.

    So, with loose top cinches above my calves, they keep me
    dry, keep me clean, keep my cuffs from flapping, keep
    gravel and [censored] out of my boots. I don't see many
    negatives, except that apparently they make a fashion
    statement one would prefer not to make: that one is a
    walking dweeb. But, honestly, now, who the heck is on
    uk.rec.walking if not walking dweebs: if you have a GPS or
    violently don't have one, if you know how to use a compass,
    if you have walking poles or wouldn't be caught dead with
    them, if you walk with an OS map, maybe even in a map case,
    maybe even hanging from your neck, if you know how to wash
    Goretex, and deal with wet boots, and when to loosen and
    when to tighten the shoulder straps, and how to stay warm
    and stay cool--then you're a dweeb and may as well complete
    your kit with gaiters.

    I'd go for Goretex and find the brawniest under-sole
    strap you can. Or find one that is easy to replace when
    it does let go.

  7. Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Gary Webster said:

    Now, I've never really considered getting a pair as I
    thought them to be rather unnecessary

    I agree. Bought and used them early on, now I rarely
    ever bother.


    I have two pairs of gaiters, both of which are in immaculate
    condition. Nuff said?
    --
    Gordon

  8. "Gary Webster" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension


    of

    Quoted message said:

    activities due to the birth of my son, I looked down at
    the ankles of my companion and noticed a pair of recently-
    acquired gaiters. Now, I've never really considered
    getting a pair as I thought them to be rather


    unnecessary

    Quoted message said:

    (viewed in much the same way as walking poles). But, I
    found myself


    feeling

    Quoted message said:

    quite envious. I'm now considering investing in a pair and
    was wondering whether the posters in this group thought
    they were a worthwhile


    investment

    Quoted message said:

    or not. Yes, I know it depends on whether or not I plan to
    go walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear
    gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you just
    stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?

    I'd also be grateful for a recommendation as to what to go
    for and how


    much

    Quoted message said:

    to pay.

    I'm off to Wales this weekend to take in Pen Yr Henge
    Du, Carnedd


    Llewellyn,

    Quoted message said:

    Daffydd and Pen Yr Ole Wen so I'm thinking of nipping into
    my local


    Outdoor

    Quoted message said:

    shop to get some.

    I wear them on two types of walk, 1/ when I know the Surrey
    tracks are muddy and will have been churned up further by
    the weekend horse riders 2/ if the tracks are little used
    and I'm liable to meet brambles, stinging nettles etc . Does
    save getting the bottoms of the trousers and socks covered
    in mud and the ankles lacerated by thorns.

    Try Millets, they had a good selection when I looked. Make
    sure they fit well and tighten up but don't cut into your
    legs, also that the straps that go under your feet don't
    stick out at the side between your legs to trip you up.
    --
    Regards Bob in Runnymede, 17miles west of London, UK

  9. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a
    while after a suspension of activities due to the
    birth of my son,


    Congratulations! When was that? :-)
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  10. Fran <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension of activities due to the birth of
    my son,


    Congratulations! When was that? :-)

    Who says wimmin aren't focussed? :-)
    --
    Gordon

  11. Gary Webster said:

    quite envious. I'm now considering investing in a pair and
    was wondering whether the posters in this group thought
    they were a worthwhile investment or not.

    "It depends".

    As well as the terrain, it depends what you're wearing. I
    usually wear Tracksters which are far less prone to picking
    up excess [censored] than the more popular "walking trousers"
    people seem to prefer. And since their comfort isn't
    adversely affected by being wet or muddy I just really don't
    see much point most of the time, and don't bother.

    Snow is very different, it's well worth keeping it out of
    your boots, so in snow I'll usually wear gaiters. Serious
    bog is another contender, and also the case with both that
    they don't do your boots much good so a pair of full
    overgaiters like Yetis on leather boots are IMHO a Good
    Thing in serious continual bog or snow. They protect your
    boots /and/ keep your feet dry. If you move fast Yetis will
    let you ford streams without wet feet too, a useful bonus
    in winter.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd also be grateful for a recommendation as to what to go
    for and how much to pay.

    Either cheap 'n cheerful or serious and expensive, though I
    don't see that much point in the middle ground for walking.
    The only reason I replaced a cheap pair of canvas ones for
    general use was they wouldn't fit over my telemark boots
    properly. For my winter leather boots I use Goretex Yeti
    gaiters. My ski touring gaiters are in the middle ground,
    but that's with plastic boots which there's little need to
    protect from the snow.

    But overall, at this time of year, legwear that render them
    pointless like Tracksters are preferable for me.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  12. The message <[email hidden]>
    from "Gary Webster" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension of activities due to the birth of my
    son, I looked down at the ankles of my companion and
    noticed a pair of recently-acquired gaiters. Now, I've
    never really considered getting a pair as I thought them
    to be rather unnecessary (viewed in much the same way as
    walking poles). But, I found myself feeling quite envious.
    I'm now considering investing in a pair and was wondering
    whether the posters in this group thought they were a
    worthwhile investment or not. Yes, I know it depends on
    whether or not I plan to go walking on marshy/boggy ground
    etc, but do you all wear gaiters as a matter of course on
    walks or do you just stick 'em on if conditions are going
    to require them?

    Quoted message said:

    I'd also be grateful for a recommendation as to what to go
    for and how much to pay.

    I wear them practically all the time. Many posters have
    said they only wear them when the ground is wet or boggy,
    or it's raining, going to rain, snow etc. Well that takes
    care of Scotland then. There is also the fact that in over
    thirty years of hill walking I have only ever had two
    ticks lovingly attach themselves to me. Long trousers and
    gaiters keep the wee buggers off. My experience is that if
    you do not put them on before you set out then you never
    will and you end up muddy to the knees with the gaiters in
    your rucksack! £20 should buy you a good pair that will
    last for years.

    --
    Len Trim [email hidden]

  13. I always use them, had a pair of Karrimor gaiters for over
    20 years, now I have a pair made of Gortex

    Rik "Gary Webster" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension


    of

    Quoted message said:

    activities due to the birth of my son, I looked down at
    the ankles of my companion and noticed a pair of recently-
    acquired gaiters. Now, I've never really considered
    getting a pair as I thought them to be rather


    unnecessary

    Quoted message said:

    (viewed in much the same way as walking poles). But, I
    found myself


    feeling

    Quoted message said:

    quite envious. I'm now considering investing in a pair and
    was wondering whether the posters in this group thought
    they were a worthwhile


    investment

    Quoted message said:

    or not. Yes, I know it depends on whether or not I plan to
    go walking on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear
    gaiters as a matter of course on walks or do you just
    stick 'em on if conditions are going to require them?

    I'd also be grateful for a recommendation as to what to go
    for and how


    much

    Quoted message said:

    to pay.

    I'm off to Wales this weekend to take in Pen Yr Henge
    Du, Carnedd


    Llewellyn,

    Quoted message said:

    Daffydd and Pen Yr Ole Wen so I'm thinking of nipping into
    my local


    Outdoor

    Quoted message said:

    shop to get some.

    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    --
    Gary Webster SP106918

  14. Peter Clinch <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Paul Saunders said:

    John Laird wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do what I do - somehow lose the laces entirely...

    Quoted message said:

    Then how would I stop them riding up?

    Try it and see if they do. I never bothered with underfoot
    strapping for quite a lot of trips and the gaiters seemed
    to stay relatively well put. They won't keep quite so much
    clag out as tightly strapped down but they'll still keep
    your trousers clean and dry.

    Pete.

    The few times I wear them I don't bother with the under-
    straps, far too messy. I find it impossible to wear them
    over Paramo trousers because my legs get too warm, so
    they are rarely worn when they are most needed, in cold,
    wet weather.
    --
    Gordon

  15. In message <[email hidden]>, Gary Webster
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    gaiters

    I wear mine when going to work, in snow (or post- snow
    slush), to keep my suit trousers pristine ;-)
    --
    Andy Mabbett "The Internet is a reflection of our
    society[ ...]. If we do not like what we see in that
    mirror the problem is not to fix the mirror, we have to
    fix society." Vint Cerf

  16. Simon Challands said:


    Just when it's snowy, or possibly if I know it's going to
    be very muddy. There just isn't really any point in wearing
    them at any other time.

    Oh yes there is!

    If you are walking through bracken, it is well worth wearing
    gaiters (I prefer ankle gaiters rather than the full half-
    leg things) as it stops nasty itchy bits of vegetation
    getting down the top of your boot.

    Judith

  17. A summer use for gaiters is when in heather country,,,,
    Stops your laces being constantly undone.

    Always done my orienteering mapping in gaiters for that
    reason. Ups productivity no end. Mind gaiters are really
    nast y fiddly things.

    Richard Webb

  18. Paul Saunders said:
    Gary Webster said:


    I know it depends on whether or not I plan to go walking
    on marshy/boggy ground etc, but do you all wear gaiters
    as a matter of course on walks or do you just stick 'em
    on if conditions are going to require them?

    Definitely not as a matter of course. There are two main
    reasons that I will use them.

    1. Lots of boggy ground to cross. Anticipating stepping
    into deep boggy bits.

    2. Lots of muddy ground after rain. Good for keeping
    bottoms of trousers clean if that is necessary.

    3. Walking through tall undergrowth after rain. Good for
    keeping bottoms of trousers dry without having to wear
    waterproofs.

    That would appear to be three main reasons ;-)

    I would add:

    4. Walking in snow. Keeps trousers and socks dry and avoids
    snow getting inside boots.

    My feet and ankles are often overly hot, without adding
    another layer, so I too use gaiters only when there seems a
    real need. They seem to be popular on bone dry warmish days
    with those walkers who cannot venture out without at least
    four upper layers including a thick fleece and Goretex
    jacket, overtrousers, hat and gloves, however. I'm not sure
    what the least I have been wearing while passing such folks,
    but it is probably of the order of a pair of Millets finest
    polycotton cargo trousers and a coolmax t-shirt. And sweat
    is usually pouring off me...

    --
    Most Wanted? Why not keep them when they're photographed?

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  19. "john goldfine" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    But, honestly, now, who the heck is on uk.rec.walking if
    not walking dweebs: if you have a GPS or violently don't
    have one, if you know how to use a compass, if you have
    walking poles or wouldn't be caught dead with them, if you
    walk with an OS map, maybe even in a map case, maybe even
    hanging from your neck, if you know how to wash Goretex,
    and deal with wet boots, and when to loosen and when to
    tighten the shoulder straps, and how to stay warm and stay
    cool--then you're a dweeb and may as well complete your
    kit with gaiters.

    OK, I shall call into the 'Gaiters for Dweebs' shop ASAP.

  20. "Fran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    On my last outing, in fact my first for quite a while
    after a suspension


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    activities due to the birth of my son,


    Congratulations! When was that? :-)
    --

    My son Alex was born in November 2003 - he's 7 months old
    now (and he's adorable). I'm just wondering when I can
    introduce him to Crib Goch?

    Gary W

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.