Road Cycling · Public discussion

Gag speaks...Monex drops the ball.

Started by chris · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,612 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 June 2004
Last activity
11 June 2004
Original author
chris
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,612
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. From Cyclingnews. Apparently, Monex doesn't give a [censored] about
    attempted assault, so maybe they should add a good doping program as
    well. Gag sounds pretty much like a kid making excuses.

    After a disciplinary hearing found Team Monex rider Robert Gaggioli
    guilty of assault for attacking fellow rider Jonny Sundt with a 2x4 at
    the Cheaha Challenge, the outspoken Italian-American has defended his
    actions, saying he only wanted to "scare" Sundt and described his
    six-month suspension as "excessive". In addition, Gaggioli has
    indicated "I'm going to manage the team, no matter what", despite the
    ban encompassing participating as a rider or a manager in any USA
    Cycling or UCI events from May 31 to December 31, 2004.

    "I don't know if it was for defending myself or what, I just grabbed a
    two-by-four," Gaggioli recalled in an interview with Cyclingnews' Mark
    Zalewski on the eve of the USPRO Championships. "Everyone knows about
    it, I'm not lying - I admitted it. I grabbed it to scare him. I hit
    the bike. I didn't try to hurt him. If I wanted to hurt him I would
    hurt in hin the race, you know? That's the easy way. We were two
    people involved in the incident, and I'm the only one to pay for it."

    Speaking about the numerous defamatory articles that have being posted
    about him in Internet newsgroups, Gaggioli retorted by saying, "I feel
    sorry for them because I am going to be there a longer time than them.
    I think these people there don't have any life. That is why they are
    posting there."

    Nevertheless, Gaggioli is determined to continue managing the Monex
    team, who, according to himself, are right behind him.

    "I'm going to manage the team, no matter what. I am suspended from
    anything requiring a USCF or UCI license. So I can't follow the race
    in the car, or pick numbers up at the meeting, but I am still managing
    the team, I am still the director. Monex is still after me and I'm the
    only one who can do the job. They don't really care what's happening,
    because they know if it happened, that there is a reason for it," he
    said

  2. You can send your comments to Monex at [email hidden]

    "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    From Cyclingnews. Apparently, Monex doesn't give a [censored] about
    attempted assault, so maybe they should add a good doping program as
    well. Gag sounds pretty much like a kid making excuses.

    After a disciplinary hearing found Team Monex rider Robert Gaggioli
    guilty of assault for attacking fellow rider Jonny Sundt with a 2x4 at
    the Cheaha Challenge, the outspoken Italian-American has defended his
    actions, saying he only wanted to "scare" Sundt and described his
    six-month suspension as "excessive". In addition, Gaggioli has
    indicated "I'm going to manage the team, no matter what", despite the
    ban encompassing participating as a rider or a manager in any USA
    Cycling or UCI events from May 31 to December 31, 2004.

    "I don't know if it was for defending myself or what, I just grabbed a
    two-by-four," Gaggioli recalled in an interview with Cyclingnews' Mark
    Zalewski on the eve of the USPRO Championships. "Everyone knows about
    it, I'm not lying - I admitted it. I grabbed it to scare him. I hit
    the bike. I didn't try to hurt him. If I wanted to hurt him I would
    hurt in hin the race, you know? That's the easy way. We were two
    people involved in the incident, and I'm the only one to pay for it."

    Speaking about the numerous defamatory articles that have being posted
    about him in Internet newsgroups, Gaggioli retorted by saying, "I feel
    sorry for them because I am going to be there a longer time than them.
    I think these people there don't have any life. That is why they are
    posting there."

    Nevertheless, Gaggioli is determined to continue managing the Monex
    team, who, according to himself, are right behind him.

    "I'm going to manage the team, no matter what. I am suspended from
    anything requiring a USCF or UCI license. So I can't follow the race
    in the car, or pick numbers up at the meeting, but I am still managing
    the team, I am still the director. Monex is still after me and I'm the
    only one who can do the job. They don't really care what's happening,
    because they know if it happened, that there is a reason for it," he
    said

  3. B. Lafferty said:

    You can send your comments to Monex at [email hidden]

    Already did........

    And I hope everyone else does too.

    --
    le Vent a Dos
    Davey Crockett
    Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html
    Please address all replies to the list

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, chris

    Quoted message said:

    From Cyclingnews. Apparently, Monex doesn't give a [censored] about
    attempted assault, ...

    How would you characterize Sundt's actions during the preceding races
    that lead to this confrontation?

    -WG

  5. Davey Crockett <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    B. Lafferty said:

    You can send your comments to Monex at [email hidden]

    Already did........

    And I hope everyone else does too.

    Also be sure to mention what a gentleman and a sport/class act that
    that Johnny Sundt is.

    No one should threten anyone with a 2x4 nor should they swing
    it at someone's bike; but then, no one races like Sundt, according
    to published reports.

    -Ken

  6. Quoted message said:

    From: warren [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    How would you characterize Sundt's actions during the preceding races
    that lead to this confrontation?

    -WG

    The same thing we tell our 10 year old, got tell a teacher, or in this case an
    official. Punching people out is not the answer, and using a deadly weapon is
    even stupider. It got him suspended just like it does our 10 year old.
    Bill C

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, TritonRider

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: warren [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    How would you characterize Sundt's actions during the preceding races
    that lead to this confrontation?

    -WG

    The same thing we tell our 10 year old, got tell a teacher, or in this case
    an
    official. Punching people out is not the answer, and using a deadly weapon is
    even stupider. It got him suspended just like it does our 10 year old.

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    -WG

  8. Quoted message said:

    From: warren [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    -WG

    Quoted message said:

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    -WG

    I guess the people that I've recommended for relegation, or DQ who were, and
    those that other officials have gotten for unsafe, or foul riding never
    happened.
    Yes, I do think that going to the officials with witnesses is the route to
    take. It may not happen that race, but they will be watching his behavior much
    more closely after that.
    Bill C

  9. "warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, TritonRider

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: warren [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    How would you characterize Sundt's actions during the preceding races
    that lead to this confrontation?

    -WG

    The same thing we tell our 10 year old, got tell a teacher, or in this


    case

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    an
    official. Punching people out is not the answer, and using a deadly


    weapon is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    even stupider. It got him suspended just like it does our 10 year old.

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    -WG

    Ahh jeezus Warren, I can't take the anticipation! Tell us...what does Johnny
    "apparently do often"?? I would really like to hear the other side of the
    story because all I've heard is that Gaglioli attacked him with a 2x4. I
    can't imagine (even as much of an ass I "hear" Roberto is) that he would
    just do it for the hell of it.. Johnny must have provoked him (either
    intentionally or by accident) somehow.

    By the way, it also sounds like you're defending Roberto? (side issue..)

    Danny Callen

  10. On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:23:30 GMT, warren <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    If he got DQ'd a couple times and lost money/places it would.

    JT

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Danny Callen

    Quoted message said:


    Ahh jeezus Warren, I can't take the anticipation! Tell us...what does Johnny
    "apparently do often"?? I would really like to hear the other side of the
    story because all I've heard is that Gaglioli attacked him with a 2x4. I
    can't imagine (even as much of an ass I "hear" Roberto is) that he would
    just do it for the hell of it.. Johnny must have provoked him (either
    intentionally or by accident) somehow.

    Descriptions of that appeared here and elsewhere (cyclingnews,
    velonews) about Sundt's riding style, and what happened before the 2 x
    4 came into play.

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, it also sounds like you're defending Roberto? (side issue..)

    I've said the 2x4 is not the way to do it, but discouraging Sundt's
    behavior, or discouraging anybody else who's getting too agressive is
    something that has to be done sometimes. People get all upset if it
    happens outside the racing but at least if it's outside the racing the
    two combatants aren't going to cause any problems (crashes) for the
    other guys in the race.

    And Bill thinks the officials will handle it... How well did they
    handlle what preceded the 2 x 4? Or the untold numbers of other
    incidents with these and other racers that aren't punished because the
    officials didn't see it for themselves?

    As far as I'm concerned, since Gaggioli and Sundt are okay with how
    they worked it out between themselves and they didn't hurt anybody else
    then it's a done deal. I read also that Sundt agreed that he shouldn't
    be taking his hands off his bars to shove people off the road during
    races.

    -WG

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, John Forrest

    Tomlinson said:

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:23:30 GMT, warren <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    If he got DQ'd a couple times and lost money/places it would.

    I agree. How many times do you think Gaggioli or other riders would get
    threatened or injured before that would happen? Hasn't even happened to
    Gaggioli yet and he's had more than a few incidents over the years. How
    about a former Olympic sprinter who's occasionally pushing guys out of
    his way during the finales of local-level 35+ races?

    -WG

  13. On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:16:39 GMT, warren <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    And Bill thinks the officials will handle it... How well did they
    handlle what preceded the 2 x 4? Or the untold numbers of other
    incidents with these and other racers that aren't punished because the
    officials didn't see it for themselves?

    The officials can't be everywhere, but it'd the sport would be better
    off it riders reported horrendous behaviour more often.

    JT

  14. John Forrest To said:
    warren said:

    And Bill thinks the officials will handle it... How well did they
    handlle what preceded the 2 x 4? Or the untold numbers of other
    incidents with these and other racers that aren't punished because the
    officials didn't see it for themselves?


    The officials can't be everywhere, but it'd the sport would be better
    off it riders reported horrendous behaviour more often.
    JT

    You can report it all you want. The officials will always say "well, we
    didn't see it, sorry".

    From what I have heard from people who have had first hand experiences
    with Sundt, I think Warren's comments are spot-on. It's like hockey -
    if the refs don't control the little incidents with small penalties,
    you wind up with a bench-clearing brawl and everyone gets booted out
    of the game.

    --

  15. pedalchick said:
    John Forrest To said:
    warren said:

    And Bill thinks the officials will handle it... How well did they
    handlle what preceded the 2 x 4? Or the untold numbers of other
    incidents with these and other racers that aren't punished because the
    officials didn't see it for themselves?


    The officials can't be everywhere, but it'd the sport would be better
    off it riders reported horrendous behaviour more often.
    JT

    You can report it all you want. The officials will always say "well, we
    didn't see it, sorry".

    I've heard that. I've also head "Get a few more people to talk to
    us." And after awhile, officials keep their eyes open more for certain
    guys. That might not be effective on the national circuit with
    different officials every weekend, but it can help.

    JT

  16. warren <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, John Forrest

    Tomlinson said:

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:23:30 GMT, warren <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    You didn't answer the question. And do you really think telling an
    official would have stopped Sundt from doing what he apparently does
    often?

    If he got DQ'd a couple times and lost money/places it would.

    I agree. How many times do you think Gaggioli or other riders would get
    threatened or injured before that would happen? Hasn't even happened to
    Gaggioli yet and he's had more than a few incidents over the years. How
    about a former Olympic sprinter who's occasionally pushing guys out of
    his way during the finales of local-level 35+ races?

    Is his name Ken?
    Ken pushed me out of the way at Burlingame last year on the final lap.

    -the other Ken

    Quoted message said:


    -WG

  17. Sundt would be alone here. A friend of mine had "issues" with
    Nothstein who likes to use his mass to push people around. The
    solution to his problem was to crash Nothstein out of the race. He
    never ran into this problem again.

    The problem is that this stuff goes on no matter where you are, its
    racing (for better or worse). What I was always told is that you
    leave your hands on the bars, end of story; if you can't "muscle
    people around" with your hands on the bars, then you should step back.
    It doesn't make any of this right, but officials can't always, and
    sometimes don't want to do anything about even when there are
    witnesses.

    Personally, a good old fist fight isn't always a bad thing if you can
    resolve things, but when 2x4's, knives or other things get involved
    then things get out of control...Maybe we should set up a boxing ring.

    "Its all fun and games..."

    Chris

    pedalchick <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    John Forrest To said:
    warren said:

    And Bill thinks the officials will handle it... How well did they
    handlle what preceded the 2 x 4? Or the untold numbers of other
    incidents with these and other racers that aren't punished because the
    officials didn't see it for themselves?


    The officials can't be everywhere, but it'd the sport would be better
    off it riders reported horrendous behaviour more often.
    JT

    You can report it all you want. The officials will always say "well, we
    didn't see it, sorry".

    From what I have heard from people who have had first hand experiences
    with Sundt, I think Warren's comments are spot-on. It's like hockey -
    if the refs don't control the little incidents with small penalties,
    you wind up with a bench-clearing brawl and everyone gets booted out
    of the game.

    --

  18. Just to jump back in. It's pretty easy to become an official. I don't know of
    any area that has an excess, and most are fairly desperate for good people.
    If you are willing to give up a few weekends to get your license and up to
    speed, then you are only required to do a couple of races a year.
    This gives you a legitimate right to [censored], because you are now part of the
    solution. It saves your club and friends money by not having to pay a bunch of
    mileage, or if you donate your days pay back to the club.
    I was fairly anti-USCF to put it mildly, but in the last few years I've seen
    Tom Vinson come on board with them, Diane Fortini take Nebra and handle the
    region for them, Shawn Farrell become technical director at The Springs, the
    track selection fiasco mostly reasonably solved with J-Me being selected when
    noone thought he had a chance in hell due to politics.
    Maybe it's time for more of you experienced people to step up and make a
    difference.
    I am privileged to be working in New England with some truly fantastic people
    who really do give a [censored] and I think it shows in our racing. There's no reason
    that you can't do the same wherever you are.
    We aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm probably bringing
    the average down, but I do recognize really good people around me.
    Bill C

  19. "warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Danny Callen

    Quoted message said:


    Ahh jeezus Warren, I can't take the anticipation! Tell us...what does


    Johnny

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "apparently do often"?? I would really like to hear the other side of


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    story because all I've heard is that Gaglioli attacked him with a 2x4. I
    can't imagine (even as much of an ass I "hear" Roberto is) that he would
    just do it for the hell of it.. Johnny must have provoked him (either
    intentionally or by accident) somehow.

    Descriptions of that appeared here and elsewhere (cyclingnews,
    velonews) about Sundt's riding style, and what happened before the 2 x
    4 came into play.

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, it also sounds like you're defending Roberto? (side


    issue..)

    Quoted message said:


    I've said the 2x4 is not the way to do it, but discouraging Sundt's
    behavior, or discouraging anybody else who's getting too agressive is
    something that has to be done sometimes. People get all upset if it
    happens outside the racing but at least if it's outside the racing the
    two combatants aren't going to cause any problems (crashes) for the
    other guys in the race.

    And Bill thinks the officials will handle it... How well did they
    handlle what preceded the 2 x 4? Or the untold numbers of other
    incidents with these and other racers that aren't punished because the
    officials didn't see it for themselves?

    As far as I'm concerned, since Gaggioli and Sundt are okay with how
    they worked it out between themselves and they didn't hurt anybody else
    then it's a done deal. I read also that Sundt agreed that he shouldn't
    be taking his hands off his bars to shove people off the road during
    races.

    -WG

    Again, thankds for the info. Admittedly, I've been riding my desk at work
    more than being up on the details of the incident. I really wish officials
    would take more agressive action towards riders that exhibit behaviours of
    both these gentleman. I still can't say Roberto was justifiied but I was not
    there! It is certainly safer than swinging at each other in the middle of a
    sprint..

    Danny Callen

  20. "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just to jump back in. It's pretty easy to become an official. I don't know


    of

    Quoted message said:

    any area that has an excess, and most are fairly desperate for good


    people.

    Quoted message said:

    If you are willing to give up a few weekends to get your license and up


    to

    Quoted message said:

    speed, then you are only required to do a couple of races a year.
    This gives you a legitimate right to [censored], because you are now part of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    solution. It saves your club and friends money by not having to pay a


    bunch of

    Quoted message said:

    mileage, or if you donate your days pay back to the club.
    I was fairly anti-USCF to put it mildly, but in the last few years I've


    seen

    Quoted message said:

    Tom Vinson come on board with them, Diane Fortini take Nebra and handle


    the

    Quoted message said:

    region for them, Shawn Farrell become technical director at The Springs,


    the

    Quoted message said:

    track selection fiasco mostly reasonably solved with J-Me being selected


    when

    Quoted message said:

    noone thought he had a chance in hell due to politics.
    Maybe it's time for more of you experienced people to step up and make a
    difference.
    I am privileged to be working in New England with some truly fantastic


    people

    Quoted message said:

    who really do give a [censored] and I think it shows in our racing. There's no


    reason

    Quoted message said:

    that you can't do the same wherever you are.
    We aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm probably


    bringing

    Quoted message said:

    the average down, but I do recognize really good people around me.
    Bill C

    Bill, Bill, Bill...you know we generally agree. Yes, we are extemely
    fortunate to have the likes of Diane Fortini,etc in New England and I agree
    that it takes a hell of a commitment to be an official and I GREATLY respect
    those that do it. In this case, I don't think anyone is saying that all
    officials act a certain way , etc, etc...but only that when there is
    dangerous riding (especially in multiple incidents) that the officials need
    to take a mored direct / harder line with the "suspect" and potentially
    investigate the issue a bit??

    Danny Callen

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.