A rather funny story that is still making me laugh after a week...
I am a complete and utter newb to road cycling having recently switched over from years of recreational mountain biking.
Because I am a techno-geek and love the high end of most interests I have, I bought as my first road bike a Trek 5200... I figure that I can't do much better equipment wise and this coupled with the expense just may provide that little extra to get out and ride the damn thing!
At any rate, despite the recent conversion to road, The wife and I have still very much enjoyed watching and following the Tour de France for the last several years. To me, it is a very beautiful sport and event. I particularly like the complex strategies and counterstrategies involved in the controlled melee of wheels.
But to the story...
After buying the bike in USPostal colors (only because my mountain bikes have always been either black or dark grey and I was ready for a change) I was severly worried about being labelled a "poseur" especially since this is my first road bike.
My wife was so amused at my dilemna that she went out and bought me USPostal cycling shorts and Team Jersey! (not cheap I found out) My comment was "Christ! why didn't you just get me the yellow jersey as well!" to which she responded "They were out of it" *laughing*
So now... I have flatly refused to wear the jersey while riding (I wear a bland beige colored no name jersey), but still wear the shorts...
So there I was huffing along on a minor incline about 8 miles from home and all of a sudden I hear this incessant honking behind me and yelling...
I'm riding in the center of the street along the double yellow getting ready for a left turn up the hill and I look back and there is a Volkswagen Golf with two young women in front and two men in back and they pull up next to me shouting and cheering and honking and the guy in the back rolls down his window and holds out a water bottle!
I was laughing hard about this time, and I reach out and take the bottle, but I'll be damned if I'll drink from it not knowing who these people are and so I just squirt a little out on my leg to make sure its really something drinkable and just squirt it over the back of my neck...
Thru my laughter I said "Team orders?" and the women in the passenger front seat yells "Attack attack!"
Other drivers are slowing down and glancing over at this rather ridiculous scene, but I still laughing I veered left as they went on straight, and they all gave me a collective wave as we separated...
I finished up my ride and when I got home I told the wife all about it and chastised me for not wearing the full get up 🙂
Maybe next time 🙂 In the end, I had a fleeting taste of virtual glory, and I scored a free water bottle too!
Have a good one!
Feanor