Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Front XT derailler shifting is jerky

Started by Glyph · · Last activity · 6 posts · 455 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 December 2005
Last activity
22 December 2005
Original author
Glyph
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
455
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi Guys,

    I have just installed a new Shimano XT front derailler on my mountain
    bike. I believe I have set it all up and adjusted the adjustment screws
    correctly.

    My only concern is that when I down shift it really 'snaps' the
    derailler back and makes quite a clank. Especially when downshifting
    from middle sprocket to smallest. I have played with the cable tension
    but it doesn't seem to change much. It appears to be just from the
    spring pulling the deraiiler back to it's default state . Is this
    normal? I'm assuming this will soften up as I use the derailler more?

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Glyphism

  2. Glyph said:

    Hi Guys,

    My only concern is that when I down shift it really 'snaps' the
    derailler back and makes quite a clank. Especially when downshifting
    from middle sprocket to smallest.

    In my experience this is the derailleur snapping back and hitting the
    frame. A small amount of tension of the inside shift screw is usually
    the cure.

    Hope it helps,

    -nate

  3. just tried and it didn't do much. It's well clear of the tube, both
    before and after.

  4. "Glyph" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    just tried and it didn't do much. It's well clear of the tube, both
    before and after.

    The (XT) front derailleur has a pretty strong return spring so I think there
    is nothing to worry about.

    Lou

  5. Glyph said:

    Hi Guys,

    I have just installed a new Shimano XT front derailler on my mountain
    bike. I believe I have set it all up and adjusted the adjustment screws
    correctly.

    My only concern is that when I down shift it really 'snaps' the
    derailler back and makes quite a clank. Especially when downshifting
    from middle sprocket to smallest. I have played with the cable tension
    but it doesn't seem to change much. It appears to be just from the
    spring pulling the deraiiler back to it's default state . Is this
    normal? I'm assuming this will soften up as I use the derailler more?

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Glyphism

    It is normal as the shifter is just releasing the cable tension and the
    front der is returning to where the limit screw tells it to go. The
    noise may be it hitting the seattube.

    May try to move it out a hair, and see if it still gets the chain where
    it ought to be in the middle and big ring.

  6. And you'll appreciate that strong spring when the mech is crusted up
    with mud. I like to hear that strong snapping sound.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.