Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

free wheel hub schreeech on mavic wheel

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 540 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 September 2006
Last activity
4 September 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
540
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

    I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    two.

    Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    few weeks.

    Does anyway know what the problem might be?

    Other advice welcome.

    Regards Sean.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

    I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    two.

    Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    few weeks.

    Does anyway know what the problem might be?

    Other advice welcome.

    Regards Sean.

    Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
    lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
    thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
    of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
    yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
    insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
    freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
    them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
    spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
    to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
    smoothly.

    Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
    dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
    problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.

  3. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Quoted message said:

    I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

    I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    two.

    Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    few weeks.

    Does anyway know what the problem might be?

    Other advice welcome.

    Regards Sean.

    Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
    lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
    thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
    of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
    yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
    insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
    freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
    them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
    spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
    to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
    smoothly.

    Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
    dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
    problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.


    the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
    doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
    fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
    with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
    same conditions with campy and shimano.

    to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
    spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
    parts, oil, reassemble.

  4. Thanks guys, a real help. I will go back to the LBS better
    informed..............

    Sean.

    jim beam said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Quoted message said:

    I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

    I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    two.

    Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    few weeks.

    Does anyway know what the problem might be?

    Other advice welcome.

    Regards Sean.

    Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
    lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
    thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
    of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
    yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
    insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
    freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
    them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
    spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
    to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
    smoothly.

    Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
    dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
    problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.


    the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
    doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
    fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
    with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
    same conditions with campy and shimano.

    to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
    spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
    parts, oil, reassemble.

  5. jim beam said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Quoted message said:

    I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

    I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    two.

    Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    few weeks.

    Does anyway know what the problem might be?

    Other advice welcome.

    Regards Sean.

    Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
    lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
    thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
    of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
    yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
    insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
    freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
    them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
    spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
    to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
    smoothly.

    Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
    dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
    problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.


    the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
    doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
    fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
    with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
    same conditions with campy and shimano.

    Draggy on the axle 'stub', becomes out of round, draggy on the rubber
    seal under it...would be a much better freehub with a bearing there,
    like they used to have, instead of the cheap, crappy plastic bushing. I
    overhaul draggy, noisey Krysiriums all week. I have done perhaps 3-4
    dozen of them...your one rear wheel does not represent a adequate
    sample, IMO.

    Quoted message said:


    to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
    spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
    parts, oil, reassemble.

  6. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    jim beam said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    > at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    > freewheeling and bunching up the chain.
    >
    > I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    > of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    > two.
    >
    > Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    > because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    > not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    > don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    > wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    > few weeks.
    >
    > Does anyway know what the problem might be?
    >
    > Other advice welcome.
    >
    > Regards Sean.
    Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
    lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
    thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
    of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
    yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
    insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
    freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
    them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
    spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
    to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
    smoothly.

    Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
    dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
    problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.


    the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
    doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
    fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
    with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
    same conditions with campy and shimano.

    Draggy on the axle 'stub', becomes out of round, draggy on the rubber
    seal under it...would be a much better freehub with a bearing there,
    like they used to have, instead of the cheap, crappy plastic bushing. I
    overhaul draggy, noisey Krysiriums all week. I have done perhaps 3-4
    dozen of them...your one rear wheel does not represent a adequate
    sample, IMO.

    you're right about sample size for sure [i have two, not one], but with
    respect, the subjective judgment of "draggy" doesn't mean much, nor does
    noise unless it's abnormal. what feels "draggy" to the hand at low
    rotation speed is not necessarily that experienced at operating speed.
    people bleat about "draggy" mavic bearings all the time for hand
    rotation, but it's not a factor at operating speed. similarly, that
    "crappy plastic bushing" is more than adequate for the job if you look
    at what it has to do.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
    spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
    parts, oil, reassemble.


  7. Quoted message said:

    I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

    I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    two.

    Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    few weeks.

    Does anyway know what the problem might be?

    Other advice welcome.

    Regards Sean. Had a one that was so warn it made chain do the same and even shift on its own in middle of cassette. Its getting replaced now hopefully since its a Sunrace. I didn't have the tool to get it off to replace it. I had an extra wheel with cassette in closet to put on while waitting on the shop to call to let me know to pick up. It may take some time since its the Labor Day holiday. The spare wheel works fine with some brake adjustment, since the rim is thinner. So the English Channel isn't to far to France and the wait.

  8. jim beam said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    jim beam said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > [email hidden] wrote:
    >> I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
    >> at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
    >> freewheeling and bunching up the chain.
    >>
    >> I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
    >> of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
    >> two.
    >>
    >> Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
    >> because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
    >> not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
    >> don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
    >> wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
    >> few weeks.
    >>
    >> Does anyway know what the problem might be?
    >>
    >> Other advice welcome.
    >>
    >> Regards Sean.
    > Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
    > lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
    > thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
    > of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
    > yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
    > insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
    > freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
    > them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
    > spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
    > to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
    > smoothly.
    >
    > Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
    > dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
    > problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.
    >
    the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
    doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
    fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
    with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
    same conditions with campy and shimano.

    Draggy on the axle 'stub', becomes out of round, draggy on the rubber
    seal under it...would be a much better freehub with a bearing there,
    like they used to have, instead of the cheap, crappy plastic bushing. I
    overhaul draggy, noisey Krysiriums all week. I have done perhaps 3-4
    dozen of them...your one rear wheel does not represent a adequate
    sample, IMO.

    you're right about sample size for sure [i have two, not one], but with
    respect, the subjective judgment of "draggy" doesn't mean much, nor does
    noise unless it's abnormal. what feels "draggy" to the hand at low
    rotation speed is not necessarily that experienced at operating speed.
    people bleat about "draggy" mavic bearings all the time for hand
    rotation, but it's not a factor at operating speed. similarly, that
    "crappy plastic bushing" is more than adequate for the job if you look
    at what it has to do.

    Problem is when they get really draggy, when not pedaling, it doesn't
    freewheel either and the RD gets pulled forard, killing it..extreme
    case but regular frequent maintenance and oil, alomg with the axle
    washer add(recommended to me by the Mavic guy), reduces the
    problem...or just get rid of the crappy plastic bushing...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
    spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
    parts, oil, reassemble.


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.