UK and Europe · Public discussion

Fraud alert! In relation to selling bikes.

Started by slacker · · Last activity · 32 posts · 1,483 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 July 2004
Last activity
5 August 2004
Original author
slacker
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,483
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. If you're selling a moderately expensive bike, beware of people
    like Mike Adams <[email hidden]> sending you a forged
    or stolen cheque, especially if it arrives in an envelope with
    Nigerian stamps.

    The other part of the scam is the "shipping cost" will be
    significantly larger than the value of the bike. The scammer will
    ask that the "shipping cost" is transferred via (someone like)
    Western Union to an address (probably) in the U. S. of A.

    There will appear to be a great hurry to transfer the funds, because
    the cheque will _appear_ to cash Ok. One/two weeks later the cheque
    will be returned as stolen/fraudulent and the money you _thought_
    you had in your account will evaporate instantly.

    [I've not lost any money or bike, as the fraud guy at Western Union
    alerted me. Thank you J!]

    The 15 email messages I received in relation to this scam, all came
    from just four Wi-Fi modem/routers. The IP addresses are: 81.199.6.63 ,
    81.199.83.148 , 212.199.109.82 , 81.18,33.124

    One of the things that smelt bad about this whole thing, was that some
    email messages from Mike Adams also, came from the same IP address as
    "the shipping company"[1].

    [1] This is just a "front" to receive your money, in my case Mike Adams
    invented or colluded with "Tony Lloyd"
    <[email hidden]>

    Naturally, I've informed both my bank and the local police about all this.

    Regards, and safe shopping.

    The Slacker (who can be very cunning if it becomes necessary).

  2. slacker said:

    The Slacker (who can be very cunning if it becomes necessary).

    Just not cunning enough not to fall for one of the oldest tricks in the
    book.

    ;-)

  3. slacker said:


    The other part of the scam is the "shipping cost" will be
    significantly larger than the value of the bike. The scammer will
    ask that the "shipping cost" is transferred via (someone like)
    Western Union to an address (probably) in the U. S. of A.

    Thanks for the heads up - but why is he charging you shipping for a bike
    you are selling to him?

    Tony

  4. Tony Raven [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the heads up - but why is he charging you shipping for a bike
    you are selling to him?

    Apologies if the above was sarcasm on your part but...

    This is one of the greatest scams.

    a) You advertise a product for sale.
    b) "Bob" contacts you and agrees to buy it.
    c) "Bob" would like it shipped abroad, but agrees to pay the postage.
    d) "Bob" has a contact ("Charles"😉 in the UK who owes him money so he
    has agreed that "Charles" sends you a cheque (In your name) for the
    money that he owes "Bob".
    e) You are to deduct the agreed amount + the postage and use Western
    Union to transfer the remainder to "Bob".
    f) If you get this far without smelling a scam, you post the product to
    "Bob", cash his cheque and transfer the appropriate some, wondering at
    the trusting nature of some individuals and at how easy it would have
    been to scam him.
    g) The cheque bounces, you have paid "Bob" a considerable sum of money
    _and_ he's been sent whatever it was you were selling for free!

    Search for the P-P-P-Powerbook to read a very funny story of the guys
    who got even!

    Jon

  5. "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    g) The cheque bounces, you have paid "Bob" a considerable sum of money
    _and_ he's been sent whatever it was you were selling for free!

    The whole thing sounds crazy, as a seller gets funds *in* not *out*, but the
    stupidest thing would be to count an uncleared cheque as "cash"!

  6. Jon Senior said:

    Tony Raven [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the heads up - but why is he charging you shipping for a bike
    you are selling to him?

    Apologies if the above was sarcasm on your part but...

    This is one of the greatest scams.

    I know that scam but it didn't seem to tally with the OP's comments
    about the shipping charge,

    Tony

  7. Adrian Boliston said:

    The whole thing sounds crazy, as a seller gets funds *in* not *out*,

    That, of course, is why people (apparently) fall for it.

    Quoted message said:

    but the
    stupidest thing would be to count an uncleared cheque as "cash"!

    Well, AIUI, cheques can appear cleared initially and then subsequently
    bounce. Ie "cleared funds" are only cleared on the assumption that the
    cheque will not subsequently be found to be fraudulent. Not sure about
    this but it's what I've heard.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is
    by treading on the toes of giants.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  8. Quoted message said:

    Well, AIUI, cheques can appear cleared initially and then subsequently
    bounce. Ie "cleared funds" are only cleared on the assumption that the
    cheque will not subsequently be found to be fraudulent. Not sure about
    this but it's what I've heard.

    AFAIK you're right. The bank will (normally) even allow you to withdraw
    all or some of the value of the cheque on the strength of the cheque[1] on
    the understanding that you pay the fine if it bounces.

    [1] Yes, I know that may not make sense, but it's one thirty in the morning
    and I'm pleasantly drunk. I'm working on the assumption that anyone that
    reads usenet is intelligent enough to know what I'm prattling on about, and
    those that read this ng through cyclingforums are second class citizens so
    no one cares if they can't understand :-P

  9. Tony Raven [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:
    Jon Senior said:

    Tony Raven [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the heads up - but why is he charging you shipping for a bike
    you are selling to him?

    Apologies if the above was sarcasm on your part but...

    This is one of the greatest scams.

    I know that scam but it didn't seem to tally with the OP's comments
    about the shipping charge,

    I must confess, I just jumped to that conclusion based on what I'd seen
    and read earlier. I assumed that the OP was was referring to the large
    payment that would be made for a relatively small charge and the rest of
    the post seemed to tie in with that particular scam!

    Jon

  10. "Mark Thompson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    :> Well, AIUI, cheques can appear cleared initially and then subsequently
    : > bounce. Ie "cleared funds" are only cleared on the assumption that the
    : > cheque will not subsequently be found to be fraudulent. Not sure about
    : > this but it's what I've heard.
    :
    : AFAIK you're right. The bank will (normally) even allow you to withdraw
    : all or some of the value of the cheque on the strength of the cheque[1] on
    : the understanding that you pay the fine if it bounces.
    :
    : [1] Yes, I know that may not make sense, but it's one thirty in the
    morning
    : and I'm pleasantly drunk. I'm working on the assumption that anyone that
    : reads usenet is intelligent enough to know what I'm prattling on about,
    and
    : those that read this ng through cyclingforums are second class citizens so
    : no one cares if they can't understand :-P

    Aye, your prattle is about right :-). I sold something to an ebayer, cheque
    cleared according to my internet banking, then a week later the bank
    returned the cheque to me saying that it'd bounced. Took me 2 months to get
    the money, but got it in the end.

    Rob

  11. Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, AIUI, cheques can appear cleared initially and then
    subsequently bounce. Ie "cleared funds" are only cleared on the
    assumption that the cheque will not subsequently be found to be
    fraudulent. Not sure about this but it's what I've heard.

    AFAIK you're right. The bank will (normally) even allow you to
    withdraw all or some of the value of the cheque on the strength of
    the cheque[1] on the understanding that you pay the fine if it
    bounces.

    [1] Yes, I know that may not make sense, but it's one thirty in the
    morning and I'm pleasantly drunk. I'm working on the assumption that
    anyone that reads usenet is intelligent enough to know what I'm
    prattling on about, and those that read this ng through cyclingforums
    are second class citizens so no one cares if they can't understand :-P

    Aiee I must be a right thick [censored]. I've read comments here about
    cycling forums in the past but it didnt dawn on me till just now that
    when I make a post to this NG it is being read by 'outsiders' who
    dont subscribe to the Group but can make replies to it.

    Is this a common practise and does it happen elsewhere on Usenet?

  12. in message <[email hidden]>, taywood

    (') said:
    Mark Thompson said:

    I'm working on the assumption that
    anyone that reads usenet is intelligent enough to know what I'm
    prattling on about, and those that read this ng through cyclingforums
    are second class citizens so no one cares if they can't understand

    Aiee I must be a right thick [censored]. I've read comments here about
    cycling forums in the past but it didnt dawn on me till just now that
    when I make a post to this NG it is being read by 'outsiders' who
    dont subscribe to the Group but can make replies to it.

    Is this a common practise and does it happen elsewhere on Usenet?

    Gatewaying Usenet feeds into web forums is done in other areas as well.
    It allows the freeloading scum who run the web forum to appear to have
    lots of content and lively discussion, which in turn attracts readers
    and inflates their advertising revenue.

    Unfortunately there probably isn't much one can do about it, except to
    be consistently offensive towards the owners of the forum until they
    stop their thieving piracy - hence the title of this subthread. They
    can switch of their Usenet feed, so it's up to those of us who object
    to make it in their interests to do so.

    Furthermore, of course, the people who actually _read_ web forums are
    not worse than us - they're pretty much the same as us except younger.
    Usenet is an ancient and arcane system and new net users on the whole
    do not get introduced to, so the average Usenet user is older (and more
    geeky) than the average Web user.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    -- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

  13. Simon Brooke said:

    Gatewaying Usenet feeds into web forums is done in other areas as well.
    It allows the freeloading scum who run the web forum to appear to have
    lots of content and lively discussion, which in turn attracts readers
    and inflates their advertising revenue.

    Unfortunately there probably isn't much one can do about it, except to
    be consistently offensive towards the owners of the forum until they
    stop their thieving piracy - hence the title of this subthread. They
    can switch of their Usenet feed, so it's up to those of us who object
    to make it in their interests to do so.

    Furthermore, of course, the people who actually _read_ web forums are
    not worse than us - they're pretty much the same as us except younger.
    Usenet is an ancient and arcane system and new net users on the whole
    do not get introduced to, so the average Usenet user is older (and more
    geeky) than the average Web user.

    Apart from the copyright issue, I have mixed feelings about this. I
    don't like the cyclingforums filching my urc posts to fill their pages
    and the fact that it leads to non-sequiturs when a cyclingforum thread
    spreads over into urc. OTOH for some reason I don't feel the same way
    about Google lifting and reproducing my posts for anyone to search
    because I use it myself quite often.

    Tony

  14. Tony Raven said:

    Apart from the copyright issue, I have mixed feelings about this. I
    don't like the cyclingforums filching my urc posts to fill their pages
    and the fact that it leads to non-sequiturs when a cyclingforum thread
    spreads over into urc. OTOH for some reason I don't feel the same way
    about Google lifting and reproducing my posts for anyone to search
    because I use it myself quite often.

    I can't really see the problem: as you've noted, google have done it for
    years (dejanews before) and I consider that to be a service rather than
    parasitic. If others wish to propagate usenet further and manage to use
    advertising revenue to fund it, good luck to them. Obviously enough
    people do like the web-based interface and it causes no real problems here.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is
    by treading on the toes of giants.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  15. On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:32:59 +0900, in <[email hidden]>,

    James Annan said:
    Tony Raven said:

    Apart from the copyright issue, I have mixed feelings about this. I
    don't like the cyclingforums filching my urc posts to fill their pages
    and the fact that it leads to non-sequiturs when a cyclingforum thread
    spreads over into urc. OTOH for some reason I don't feel the same way
    about Google lifting and reproducing my posts for anyone to search
    because I use it myself quite often.

    I can't really see the problem: as you've noted, google have done it for
    years (dejanews before) and I consider that to be a service rather than
    parasitic. If others wish to propagate usenet further and manage to use
    advertising revenue to fund it, good luck to them. Obviously enough
    people do like the web-based interface and it causes no real problems here.

    Google (and previously Deja) advertise a way to stop your posts from
    being archived. Cyclingforums do not.

    I wrote to google several months ago and suggested that they
    implemented an opt-in: i.e. a header along the lines of
    X-Google-Archive=YES, which could then be followed with
    X-No-Archive=YES

    They said good idea but it might take many years.

    --
    "Any accidents or injuries in the last two years, sir"?

    "Yes. I broke my hand last month, punching a no-win-no-fee lawyer
    in the mouth".

  16. Quoted message said:

    I can't really see the problem: as you've noted, google have done it
    for years (dejanews before) and I consider that to be a service rather
    than parasitic. If others wish to propagate usenet further and manage
    to use advertising revenue to fund it, good luck to them. Obviously
    enough people do like the web-based interface and it causes no real
    problems here.

    Just had a looksie at their site and to be fair they do try and make it
    clear it is a simple usenet feed:

    "This forum is a gateway to the uk.rec.cycling usenet newsgroup. Any posts
    you make in this forum will be propagated to usenet.
    Please read our USENET FAQ before using this section!"

    I also liked the latest post bit by each of the groups - when I visited it
    the latest post was in this thread :-)

  17. James Annan said:

    I can't really see the problem: as you've noted, google have done it for
    years (dejanews before) and I consider that to be a service rather than
    parasitic. If others wish to propagate usenet further and manage to use
    advertising revenue to fund it, good luck to them. Obviously enough
    people do like the web-based interface and it causes no real problems here.

    No real problems due to the technology, no. Problems with the
    contributors? I couldn't possibly comment ;-)

    Guy

  18. Julia Chapman [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    Guy

    Is there something you're not telling us Guy? Are there any side effects
    from the HRT?

    :-)

    Jon

  19. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    Gatewaying Usenet feeds into web forums is done in other areas as
    well. It allows the freeloading scum who run the web forum to appear
    to have lots of content and lively discussion, which in turn attracts
    readers and inflates their advertising revenue.

    Unfortunately there probably isn't much one can do about it, except
    to be consistently offensive towards the owners of the forum until
    they stop their thieving piracy - hence the title of this subthread.
    They can switch of their Usenet feed, so it's up to those of us who
    object to make it in their interests to do so.

    Furthermore, of course, the people who actually _read_ web forums are
    not worse than us - they're pretty much the same as us except
    younger. Usenet is an ancient and arcane system and new net users on
    the whole do not get introduced to, so the average Usenet user is
    older (and more geeky) than the average Web user.

    Apart from the copyright issue, I have mixed feelings about this. I
    don't like the cyclingforums filching my urc posts to fill their pages
    and the fact that it leads to non-sequiturs when a cyclingforum thread
    spreads over into urc. OTOH for some reason I don't feel the same way
    about Google lifting and reproducing my posts for anyone to search
    because I use it myself quite often.

    Google are not mis-representing and passing-off our content as their
    own. moreover, Google honour X-no-archive, if you are stressed about
    Google using your content.

    Frankly, I wouldn't be nearly so pissy about cycleforums if posts
    originating from there were not so frequently ill-formatted and totally
    context-free. If they provided a competent user interface and a good
    guide to netiquette so that people quoted an appropriate amount in a
    conventional way with proper attribution, and responded after what they
    were responding to, I could live with the advertising. A _good_
    Web/Usenet gateway would be a valuable thing for those people who think
    that the Web is all there is to the net.

    I suppose I ought to write one.

    [three hours later] I've now wasted the better part of a warm and sunny
    Saturday hacking code and poring over RFCs. *And* I've missed the tide.
    I _am_ mad, aren't I? Time to get a bike out.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; all in all you're just another click in the call
    ;; -- Minke Bouyed

  20. It seems that your rant is their command:

    Quoted message said:

    Google are not mis-representing and passing-off our content as their
    own.

    <url:http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171>
    uk.rec.cycling archive
    This forum is a gateway to the uk.rec.cycling usenet newsgroup. Any posts
    you make in this forum will be propagated to usenet.
    Please read our USENET FAQ before using this section!

    From the faq: <url:http://www.cyclingforums.com/t74445.html>

    Q: What is USENET?
    A: For a short answer goto:
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/defini...i213262,00.html
    For the detailed answer goto: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/what-
    is/part1/

    Q: Why are they here?
    A: cyclingforums.com provide a gateway to the selected cycling and
    health/fitness related newsgroups.
    Some people find it difficult to set up their news reader. Others do not
    know the newsgroups exist.

    Q: Can cyclingforums.com control the contents?
    A: No, this is simply a gateway, most of the posts are not posted by
    cyclingforums.com members. These posts are not moderated!

    Quoted message said:

    moreover, Google honour X-no-archive, if you are stressed about
    Google using your content.

    Q: How can I stop my newsgroup post from appearing on cyclingforums.com?
    A: Our gateway will honor 'X-No-Archive: Yes' headers, read you[r] news
    clients help files for info on how to add this setting.

    Quoted message said:

    If they provided a <snip> good
    guide to netiquette

    Q: What should I know before I post?
    A: Newsgroup netiquette:
    http://www.albion.com/netiquette/introduction.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.