Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Fox 36 or Marz 66 reviews/feedback requet.

Started by Slack · · Last activity · 15 posts · 667 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
8 October 2005
Last activity
11 October 2005
Original author
Slack
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
667
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would love
    to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.

    Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

    If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
    they're not in the running :-)

    Thanks
    Slack

  2. Slack said:

    If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would love
    to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.

    Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

    If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
    they're not in the running :-)

    Thanks
    Slack

    Going back to DH? A friend has the 66 and has been nothing but trouble.
    He actually busted one of the stantions on a 1' drop off at Mountain
    Creek (no I wan't there to verify it). He's going back to dual crown,
    probably an 888 (sucker).

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Slack said:

    If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would
    love to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have
    used.

    Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

    If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
    they're not in the running :-)

    Thanks
    Slack

    I just purchased a 36 but don't have a frame to put it on yet (our LBS made
    me an offer I couldn't refuse). My friend has two, one for him and one for
    his son. By all their accounts and first hand witness it's and awesome
    fork. Jordan raced his to 2nd place in Jr Exp 4C at Snowshoe on a SC
    Heckler. He had that bike flying over the table tops! I have a Talas RLC
    on my XC bike and a 40 RC2 and love them both. The 36 is a cross between
    the two.

    I also have a friend with the 66 and was not impressed with it's
    performance.

    'cept for the Super T on my Bullit I've pretty much left the Bomberhood.
    They're starting to make a lot of [censored] forks and there are no user service
    instructions with them anymore.

    Mike

  4. Michael Dart said:
    Slack said:

    If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would
    love to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have
    used.

    Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

    If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
    they're not in the running :-)

    Thanks
    Slack

    I just purchased a 36 but don't have a frame to put it on yet (our LBS made
    me an offer I couldn't refuse). My friend has two, one for him and one for
    his son. By all their accounts and first hand witness it's and awesome
    fork. Jordan raced his to 2nd place in Jr Exp 4C at Snowshoe on a SC
    Heckler. He had that bike flying over the table tops! I have a Talas RLC
    on my XC bike and a 40 RC2 and love them both. The 36 is a cross between
    the two.

    I also have a friend with the 66 and was not impressed with it's
    performance.

    'cept for the Super T on my Bullit I've pretty much left the Bomberhood.
    They're starting to make a lot of [censored] forks and there are no user service
    instructions with them anymore.

    Mike


    Cool.... thanks for the info. I was also looking at the 40 RC2 for when
    I get a DH sled going again. I still have a while before I'm ready,
    though. I was so impressed with my Fox RC, even though it was Pushed, I
    really started wondering what their forks were like.

    So, did you dump the 888?

    Dang , Jared is already smok'n in Expert... that's awesome! You need to
    kick him down the M1. You need to upgrade to a M3 anyway :-P

    It's a shame about Marzocchi: they seem to be focusing more on marketing
    rather than R & D. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
    --
    Slack

  5. Ride-A-Lot said:
    Slack said:

    If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would
    love to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.

    Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

    If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
    they're not in the running :-)

    Thanks
    Slack

    Going back to DH?

    Not yet. This is for the little XC bike. I wouldn't use anything other
    than a DC for DH.... IMHO, there's no good reason not to.

    Quoted message said:

    A friend has the 66 and has been nothing but trouble.
    He actually busted one of the stantions on a 1' drop off at Mountain
    Creek (no I wan't there to verify it). He's going back to dual crown,
    probably an 888 (sucker).

    That really blows. I hope Marzocchi fixed the 888 casting problems they
    had??
    --
    Slack

  6. "Slack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would love to
    hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.

    Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

    If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
    they're not in the running :-)

    Thanks
    Slack

    Ya I have had both on a late model Bullit. I ride DH and the fork I use now
    is an older DC Shiver. Personally I would go with the 36 for SC.

  7. Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
    Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
    have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
    progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
    though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
    Steve.

  8. spademan o---) * said:

    Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
    Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
    have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
    progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
    though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
    Steve.

    Not in my experience. The 40RC2 runs super plush but ramps up nice on hard
    hits and never bottoms out hard or dives into holes in rock gardens. I'm
    running the stock spring which I'm a tad too heavy for but because of that
    dampening adjustments it's fine.

    I really liked how the 888 rode but didn't trust the lowers. My friend has
    a 66 and there isn't much adjustment on his except for air preload which he
    has to run at 0 just to get the shock to move.

    Mike

  9. spademan o---) * said:

    Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
    Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
    have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
    progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
    though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
    Steve.

    And speaking of blowing, let me know how you like that Travis.
    Hopefully, it's slightly more stable than the "real one."

    --
    Slack

  10. Will do, have to put a bit of time on it first though. Theres a small
    drop thats going to be the first test, which I know is about as useful
    an indication of its overall performance as bouncing around in a car
    park but its got to be done.

  11. Fair enough. I was initially looking at the fox 36 Van but I've had
    good experience of my previous Manitou forks which have lasted over 4
    years with no niggles. Plus I'd have to change my brake caliper.

  12. spademan o---) * said:

    Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
    Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
    have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
    progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
    though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
    Steve.

    Manitou... TRAVIS?!

    /s

  13. Yep, I believe they named it after 'our' Travis. They were so impressed
    by his ability to take everything so calmly in his stride, always
    willing to spring back after various knocks, and soo reliable.
    Steve.

  14. spademan o---) * said:

    Fair enough. I was initially looking at the fox 36 Van but I've had
    good experience of my previous Manitou forks which have lasted over 4
    years with no niggles. Plus I'd have to change my brake caliper.

    The caliper is a consideration. Fox uses a 6" Hayes adapter for an 8"
    rotor. I guess to increase stiffness in the mount. If you are running
    Hopes this means a different caliper size.

    Mike

  15. spademan o---) * said:

    Fair enough. I was initially looking at the fox 36 Van but I've had
    good experience of my previous Manitou forks which have lasted over 4
    years with no niggles. Plus I'd have to change my brake caliper.

    I've also had good fortune with Manitou forks. I've never had one fail
    and any I've replaced have been because I wanted newer technology. Of
    course the forks I get are all XC style and not the same kind of thing
    you guys are running, but I imagine they do have some similarities.

    I've had a Manitou II, a Manitou Pro, a Mars Carbon, and a Black Elite
    Air. I actually still have the first and last from that list. The II is
    on my kid carrying trailer bike (old Canondale SM800) and the Black is
    still on my Epic. That 3/4" of travel on the Canondale is sweeeeet!

    Matt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.