UK and Europe · Public discussion

Forks stolen - I feel so stupid :-(

Started by icogs · · Last activity · 11 posts · 376 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 June 2007
Last activity
21 June 2007
Original author
icogs
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
376
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Boy do I feel dumb!!!

    I was working along the Thames towpath between Richmond and
    Teddington, just cutting back overhanging scrub etc. My bike was
    locked up in the car park nearby with a big D lock securing back wheel
    and frame to railing and a cable looped through front wheel and
    attached to D lock.

    About 10 - 15 mins later I see two lads cycling towards where I was
    cutting back a fallen shrub so I quickly clear away the stuff I cut
    from the path to let them pass. "That's a coincidence" I think, "those
    forks they are carrying are just like mine." Brain engages too late,
    they are bombing off towards Teddington Lock. I run back to the car
    park but I know what I will see :-o

    If only I had looped the cable through the forks too (they were
    suspension forks). If only I had challenged those lads - I had a
    bloody great bow-saw in my hand, I am sure I could have at least
    retrieved the forks.

    To make matters worse the forks were on loan from the shop as mine
    were returned for repair as they were faulty!

  2. Deepest sympathy. it's one of those 'if only I had just...' moments.
    They are the worse!

    At least is wasn't the whole bike!

  3. Nat said:

    Deepest sympathy. it's one of those 'if only I had just...' moments.
    They are the worse!

    At least is wasn't the whole bike!

    And lucky I was working with a group who had a van to take me+bike
    home.

  4. icogs said the following on 20/06/2007 16:19:

    Quoted message said:

    If only I had looped the cable through the forks too (they were
    suspension forks).

    Tsk - fancy forgetting to do that!

    (Ahem!!!) Mental note duly made :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  5. icogs said:

    Boy do I feel dumb!!!

    Like the time I put 3 bikes on the back of the car the night before an early
    ferry and forgot the multiple locks i had prepared to make them one big lump
    attached to a bigger lump.

    The bigger lump was still there in the morning

    pk

  6. <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    If only I had looped the cable through the forks too (they were
    suspension forks).

    Probably a silly question... How do you loop through the forks?
    (question posed from the point of view that I think I've taken all
    reasonable precautions by looping through both wheels and looping
    through saddle; never thought about the forks being detached)

    Peter.

  7. On 20 Jun, 16:19, icogs <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <- snippity snip ->

    Quoted message said:

    If only I had looped the cable through the forks too (they were
    suspension forks). ...

    Hmm, I would have thought they'd need a toolkit to remove the forks,
    and said toolkit would likely have included something capable of
    cutting the cable anyway...
    I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. In my experience locking a bike
    effectively in these sort of situations just ends up with the bike
    being vandalised out of frustration. The most effective solution seems
    to be to use a hack- a bike that doesn't engender envy. Even then
    there's a small minority that will try and wreck it because they think
    it'll be funny to make you walk home. I don't think there's anything
    much you can do, in the long run, except to avoid the situation as far
    as possible.

    Cheers,
    W.

  8. In article said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    If only I had looped the cable through the forks too (they were
    suspension forks).

    Probably a silly question... How do you loop through the forks?

    Typical suspension forks have a bracing arch above the brakes (or
    where rim brakes would be) that makes a crescent shaped closed hole
    with the actual top of the forks.
    At least it does until the forks are dismantled, which someone with
    enough tools to take the forks out of the frame might do.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    On 20 Jun, 16:19, icogs <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <- snippity snip ->

    Quoted message said:

    If only I had looped the cable through the forks too (they were
    suspension forks). ...

    Hmm, I would have thought they'd need a toolkit to remove the forks,
    and said toolkit would likely have included something capable of
    cutting the cable anyway...

    An allen key or two is all you need to remove the forks from many bikes.

  10. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm, I would have thought they'd need a toolkit to remove the forks,
    and said toolkit would likely have included something capable of
    cutting the cable anyway...

    An allen key or two is all you need to remove the forks from many bikes.

    Really? Wow, Isn't progress wonderful. I think virtually every bike
    I've had has needed an allen key or spanner, a hammer and at least one
    oversized spanner to detach the forks from the frame, plus whatever
    tools are needed to detach the brakes and (usually) mudguards, though
    I suppose in a few cases those could leave with the forks.

    Ya lives and ya learns... my sympathies to icogs. Can I recommend
    fettling up a £50 fixie from eBay to use for this sort of excursion!

    Cheers,
    W.

  11. [email hidden] said the following on 21/06/2007 13:09:

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm, I would have thought they'd need a toolkit to remove the forks,
    and said toolkit would likely have included something capable of
    cutting the cable anyway...

    My forks can be removed with nothing more than an Allen key...

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.