Well, I appear to have found something that works. I went to a WTB Speed V Comp, which is a bit wider and softer than my old saddle. It supports my weight more comfortably plus I can point the nose down fairly significantly without too much hand pressure.
On my 4-hr ride it was fairly comfortable w/ no perceived pressure points. Well, my rump (sit bones) got a little sore at times, but I think that's somewhat unavoidable on a ride of that length.
The only concession is that the wider saddle makes it a little harder to get back on the rear wheel when necessary. I'm sure I'll get used to that.
Well, I appear to have found something that works. I went to a WTB Speed V Comp, which is a bit wider and softer than my old saddle. It supports my weight more comfortably plus I can point the nose down fairly significantly without too much hand pressure.
On my 4-hr ride it was fairly comfortable w/ no perceived pressure points. Well, my rump (sit bones) got a little sore at times, but I think that's somewhat unavoidable on a ride of that length.
The only concession is that the wider saddle makes it a little harder to get back on the rear wheel when necessary. I'm sure I'll get used to that.
Gman "taintenance minded"
Have you tried a Brooks? I have one on my new racing bike, and it's remarkable as compared to the saddle on my old racing bike (which I rode today due to having the new one in the shop for the "30" day checkup). It takes a while to get the saddle "broken in" (it forms to your butt), but it's incredible once it does. The only problem is that even the narrow Brooks is wide, and I think too wide for mountain bikes.
"Gman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Well, I appear to have found something that works. I went to a WTB Speed V Comp, which is a bit wider and softer than my old saddle. It supports my weight more comfortably plus I can point the nose down fairly significantly without too much hand pressure.
On my 4-hr ride it was fairly comfortable w/ no perceived pressure points. Well, my rump (sit bones) got a little sore at times, but I think that's somewhat unavoidable on a ride of that length.
The only concession is that the wider saddle makes it a little harder to get back on the rear wheel when necessary. I'm sure I'll get used to that.
I was thinking of trying their wider saddle, but opted for the narrower Fi'zi:k Nisene. Though it is narrower than my old WTB SST 98, one thing I noticed right away, is that the Fi'zi:k is much firmer than the WTB. I tried it the best I could 'without' a bike, and it may just work. My sit bones still make good contact with this saddle. The (old) WTB was just way too soft. I will probably still try a WTB in the future, just to see how well it'll work with the DNA padding. The DNA padding 'is not' a marketing gimmick. The stuff is for real. Schutt Sports is using this stuff in their latest football helmet design that is being tried by several SEC schools. Football helmets are a serious liability, and are not subject to some hokey gimmick padding. skydex.comskydex.comOpen ↗
I went to a WTB Speed V Comp, which is a bit wider and softer than my old saddle.
Is it any wider than the regular Speed V? I've got one of those hanging in my garage and think it's the nicest-looking saddle I've seen to date...just needs to be about 2" wider...
I went to a WTB Speed V Comp, which is a bit wider and softer than my old saddle.
Is it any wider than the regular Speed V? I've got one of those hanging in my garage and think it's the nicest-looking saddle I've seen to date...just needs to be about 2" wider...
I went to a WTB Speed V Comp, which is a bit wider and softer than my old saddle.
Is it any wider than the regular Speed V? I've got one of those hanging in my garage and think it's the nicest-looking saddle I've seen to date...just needs to be about 2" wider...
----------------------- PeteCresswell
I don't think so Pete. It IS wider than the WTB Rocket V I've got on the SS, but both seem to find my sit bones relatively well.