Road Cycling · Public discussion

Florida Passes New Bike Law !!!!!!!

Started by Beach Runner · · Last activity · 85 posts · 2,441 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
9 October 2006
Last activity
19 October 2006
Original author
Beach Runner
Posts
85
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,441
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 85
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

  2. Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable. Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.
    Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane. Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    Wayne

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Pein said:
    Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable. Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.
    Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane. Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    I don't mind drivers going just partly over the center line
    to give me leeway. As long as they give me leeway.

    I cut breaks for them (drivers) too, when it's opportune
    for everybody.

    I'm not a doormat, and I'm not royalty. I'm somewhere
    in between. Same as most other folks.

    I don't mind sharing the lane if I safely can.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  4. Wayne Pein said:

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable.

    That's not the point. First, when there's a question about how close is
    too close, it defines a standard. Second, it lets motorists know that
    passing too close is breaking the law.

    Quoted message said:

    Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.

    Upgrade your knowledge. In CA, for example, it's
    perfectly legal for more than one vehicle of any type to share the same
    lane. This allows filtering forward to make right turns, etc. On desert
    highways it's not uncommon for a slower vehicle to ease to the right,
    straddling the shoulder if necessary, so faster vehicles can pass in the
    same lane where there's a double yellow line for tens of miles.

    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane.

    Yes they do. They pass street sweepers, mail carriers, garbage trucks,
    farm tractors, highway maintenance vehicles, etc. -- all slow moving
    vehicles like bicycles.

    Quoted message said:

    Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    While most people leave more clearance than that when they can, 3 feet is
    plenty of room, and a typical passing distance on narrow,
    heavily trafficked streets and roads where encroaching on the oncoming
    lane is impossible.

    Matt O.


  5. Quoted message said:

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable. Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane.

    The California VC implies this behavior is permitted:

    REF: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21202.htm

    I believe other states have similar language.

    Chris Neary
    [email hidden]

    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells

  6. Wayne Pein said:
    Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable.

    To me, the real benefit of such a law is that it makes it hard to
    "legally run over a cyclist". That is, the motorist excuse of "he
    jinked a foot to the left just as I was passing him" doesn't work any
    more.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  7. Wayne Pein said:
    Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable. Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.
    Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane. Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    Wayne

    Cheaper, easier than making shoulders or 'lanes' for bicycles.

  8. Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    If an 18 wheeler passed you with two inches, you'd end up either blown
    onto the shoulder or sucked under the trailer just before being run
    over by his back wheels.

    Quoted message said:


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    Is there any mechanism for educating drivers about the new law? I've
    seen several traffic laws passed here in Minnesota, and a month after
    they take effect, nobody's heard of them (often, even swearing it's not
    the law).

    Austin

  9. Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I am pretty happy with about 1 foot, for most motor vehicles. More with
    extra large commercial vehicles.

    Ken
    --
    Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

  10. Matt O'Toole said:

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:50:54 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    While most people leave more clearance than that when they can, 3 feet is
    plenty of room, and a typical passing distance on narrow,
    heavily trafficked streets and roads where encroaching on the oncoming
    lane is impossible.

    Matt O.

    I remember reading that DOT claims 3 feet is the *absolute minimum* clearence
    you shoud have, which would mean its definately not "plenty of room".

    CMM

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken C. M. said:
    Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I am pretty happy with about 1 foot, for most motor vehicles.

    As long as they're not hauling a utility trailer with a
    bunch of lumber or landscaping tools hanging over the side.

    A small utility trailer can be quite well hidden behind
    a large upcoming car.

    Quoted message said:

    More with
    extra large commercial vehicles.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  12. "Wayne Pein" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beach Runner said:

    Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.

    I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable.

    Yes, they are inforcable. In a real world, Motorists will still give you as
    little clearance as they can get. But if an accident happens due to the
    lack of clearance (and you live through it) that motorist had better be
    insured for what is coming down the pike. Reasonable Prudence does apply
    and if a motorist causes an accident by not exercising Reasonable Prudence
    then they can be sued back to the stone age.

    Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists

    Quoted message said:

    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing.

    That is hardly what it says. Motorists are NOT to use Bike Lanes. Only
    bikes and very small Scooters (for the scooter, depends on the state).

    Currently,

    Quoted message said:

    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.
    Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane. Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    Beats the 6 to 12 I sometimes get.

  13. Tom Keats said:

    I don't mind drivers going just partly over the center line
    to give me leeway. As long as they give me leeway.

    I cut breaks for them (drivers) too, when it's opportune
    for everybody.

    I'm not a doormat, and I'm not royalty. I'm somewhere
    in between. Same as most other folks.

    I don't mind sharing the lane if I safely can.

    cheers,
    Tom

    This is the way I ride also. I willingly share my lane most of the time.
    My point is that it is not codified in traffic law that bicyclist MUST
    share their lane. I believe the 3 ft clearance requirement is a step
    toward that end though.

    Wayne

  14. Matt O'Toole said:
    Wayne Pein said:

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable.

    That's not the point. First, when there's a question about how close is
    too close, it defines a standard. Second, it lets motorists know that
    passing too close is breaking the law.

    A law should be enforceable if it is to be a law. If education is the
    purpose, then there should be an education campaign. Further, there
    typically are laws that say one shouldn't drive in a manner that could
    be hazardous to others. Passing closely falls in that category.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.

    Upgrade your knowledge. In CA, for example, it's
    perfectly legal for more than one vehicle of any type to share the same
    lane.

    This allows filtering forward to make right turns, etc. On desert

    Quoted message said:

    highways it's not uncommon for a slower vehicle to ease to the right,
    straddling the shoulder if necessary, so faster vehicles can pass in the
    same lane where there's a double yellow line for tens of miles.

    Yes, the lane sharer has allowed it. This is different than codifying
    that bicyclists must share their lane, which I believe passing clearance
    laws bring us one step closer to.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane.

    Yes they do. They pass street sweepers, mail carriers, garbage trucks,
    farm tractors, highway maintenance vehicles, etc. -- all slow moving
    vehicles like bicycles.

    Such passing typically does not occur where there are marked lanes, or
    if the lanes are marked, generally the passing motorist entirely changes
    lanes because these vehicles are wide.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Third, 3 feet is
    quite close, closer than the typical pass actually is, regardless of the
    OP's sensationalist and exaggerated 2 inch claim.

    While most people leave more clearance than that when they can, 3 feet is
    plenty of room, and a typical passing distance on narrow,
    heavily trafficked streets and roads where encroaching on the oncoming
    lane is impossible.

    Perhaps you should upgrade your knowledge about wind blast
    effect/research. 3 feet is not always plenty of room. It is only plenty
    of room when there is low speed differential, which the statute does not
    address.

    Wayne

  15. Chris Neary said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
    unenforceable. Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists
    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently,
    to my knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in
    the same lane.

    The California VC implies this behavior is permitted:

    REF: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21202.htm

    I believe other states have similar language.

    Implies is not the same as codified.

    Such laws as in CA and elsewhere are also simply discriminatory to
    bicyclists.

    Wayne

  16. Mark Hickey said:

    To me, the real benefit of such a law is that it makes it hard to
    "legally run over a cyclist". That is, the motorist excuse of "he
    jinked a foot to the left just as I was passing him" doesn't work any
    more.

    How about: If the motorist decides to pass in the same lane and strikes
    a bicyclist the motorist is automatically at fault because he chose to
    pass in the same lane rather than change lanes? Such a law would cover
    passing clearance, passing speed (a variable not covered by the passing
    clearance law), and acknowledges that bicyclists are indeed given the
    rights of drivers of vehicles and thus the right to occupy entire lane
    space, even if they don't most of the time.

    Wayne

  17. Daryl Hunt said:

    Yes, they are inforcable.

    No, it is not enforceable. "Officer, that bad motorist passed me with
    only 2 ft 9 inches clearance. Arrest him!" "Son, it looked like 3 ft 1
    inch to me."

    In a real world, Motorists will still give you as

    Quoted message said:

    little clearance as they can get. But if an accident happens due to the
    lack of clearance (and you live through it) that motorist had better be
    insured for what is coming down the pike. Reasonable Prudence does apply
    and if a motorist causes an accident by not exercising Reasonable Prudence
    then they can be sued back to the stone age.

    Reasonable Prudence laws already exist.

    Quoted message said:

    Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists

    Quoted message said:

    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing.

    That is hardly what it says. Motorists are NOT to use Bike Lanes. Only
    bikes and very small Scooters (for the scooter, depends on the state)

    I'm talking about the full regular lane, not bike lanes.

    Wayne

  18. Wayne Pein said:
    Daryl Hunt said:

    Yes, they are inforcable.

    No, it is not enforceable. "Officer, that bad motorist passed me with
    only 2 ft 9 inches clearance. Arrest him!" "Son, it looked like 3 ft 1
    inch to me."

    In a real world, Motorists will still give you as

    Quoted message said:

    little clearance as they can get. But if an accident happens due to the
    lack of clearance (and you live through it) that motorist had better be
    insured for what is coming down the pike. Reasonable Prudence does apply
    and if a motorist causes an accident by not exercising Reasonable Prudence
    then they can be sued back to the stone age.

    Reasonable Prudence laws already exist.

    Quoted message said:

    Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists

    Quoted message said:

    are legally entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing.

    That is hardly what it says. Motorists are NOT to use Bike Lanes. Only
    bikes and very small Scooters (for the scooter, depends on the state)

    I'm talking about the full regular lane, not bike lanes.

    Wayne

    Here in southern Arizona lots of cycling groups have touted "Give them
    5 feet" as the standard. I'm not really sure how many municipalities
    have adopted the standard into law but I don't think that was the main
    purpose. The purpose was primarily educational. The idea being that a
    lot of motorists that pass very closely were simply ignorant of their
    impact on the cyclist. The jerks who "buzz" on purpose probably will
    not respond to education nor statute.

    While it is the case that I sometimes get "buzzed" that is very much
    the exception and most motorists give quite reasonable clearance to
    cyclists. I agree that a specific distance as statute would be very
    hard to enforce as there wold be no way to sure about the measurement.
    But many things in society are accomplished through education and
    having a "reasonable" passing distance "out there" strike me as more a
    positive than a negative.

  19. gds said:

    But many things in society are accomplished through education and
    having a "reasonable" passing distance "out there" strike me as more a
    positive than a negative.

    Education is a sign like "Pass Bicycle Drivers with Care" or something
    similar.

    Here in NC there are signs saying something like "Slow Down and Move
    Over for Stopped Emergency Vehicles" and "Slow Moving Busses Use This
    Highway."

    Wayne

  20. Wayne Pein said:
    Tom Keats said:

    I don't mind drivers going just partly over the center line
    to give me leeway. As long as they give me leeway.

    I cut breaks for them (drivers) too, when it's opportune
    for everybody.

    I'm not a doormat, and I'm not royalty. I'm somewhere
    in between. Same as most other folks.

    I don't mind sharing the lane if I safely can.


    This is the way I ride also. I willingly share my lane most of the time.
    My point is that it is not codified in traffic law that bicyclist MUST
    share their lane. I believe the 3 ft clearance requirement is a step
    toward that end though.

    Why does a mandated 3 foot clearance do anything to take the lane away
    from you? All it says to me is that a pass must be done safely -
    whether the cyclist is riding in the gutter or in the middle of the
    lane.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.