General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

flaxseed meal is used like flour?

Started by Ben · · Last activity · 6 posts · 585 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 August 2004
Last activity
25 August 2004
Original author
Ben
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
585
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I had a low-carb recipe calling for flaxseed meal which I used it for now I am
    wondering if it can be used like flour. For example I want to make beef
    patties today with 1.5 pounds of ground beef I have. I'd add in some eggs and
    then some flaxseed meal? or would that not work? Would it be interchangeable
    1 to 1 with flour?

    Thanks for your input.
    Ben

  2. Ben wrote:
    :: Hi,
    ::
    :: I had a low-carb recipe calling for flaxseed meal which I used it
    :: for now I am wondering if it can be used like flour. For example I
    :: want to make beef patties today with 1.5 pounds of ground beef I
    :: have. I'd add in some eggs and then some flaxseed meal?

    Very likely. You can add in some almond flour too -- it might help with
    consistency. Ground flaxseed is good for you (much, much moreso than
    regular flour), so try to use it if you can.

    or would
    :: that not work? Would it be interchangeable 1 to 1 with flour?

    I don't know about 1-to-1, but it can't hurt to try. You're only putting a
    meal or two at risk, and you'll learn something in the end.

    ::
    :: Thanks for your input.
    :: Ben

  3. Where did you get your flaxmeal? If it's Bob's Red Mill, there should be
    info on the package about flour replacement. I also remember, dimly,
    something about flaxmeal and water making a paste that can be used as an egg
    substitute.

    HTH

    Steve

    "Ben" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I had a low-carb recipe calling for flaxseed meal which I used it for now


    I am

    Quoted message said:

    wondering if it can be used like flour. For example I want to make beef
    patties today with 1.5 pounds of ground beef I have. I'd add in some eggs


    and

    Quoted message said:

    then some flaxseed meal? or would that not work? Would it be


    interchangeable

    Quoted message said:

    1 to 1 with flour?

    Thanks for your input.
    Ben

  4. Scionyx said:

    Where did you get your flaxmeal? If it's Bob's Red Mill, there should be
    info on the package about flour replacement. I also remember, dimly,
    something about flaxmeal and water making a paste that can be used as an egg
    substitute.

    Yes - it's Bob's Red Mill. I checked out their web site after reading your post.

    In the end I used 3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, 1.5 pounds of minced meat,
    an egg, salt, pepper and some chopped up mushrooms. The family liked it but I
    found it personally lacking on the flavour side. Next time I might also add
    some onions (or onion powder) too. I should really look at what they put in
    the non-low-carb recipes so I can copy to some degree.

    regards,
    Ben

  5. Ben wrote:
    | Scionyx wrote:
    |
    || Where did you get your flaxmeal? If it's Bob's Red Mill, there
    || should be info on the package about flour replacement. I also
    || remember, dimly, something about flaxmeal and water making a paste
    || that can be used as an egg substitute.
    |
    | Yes - it's Bob's Red Mill. I checked out their web site after reading
    | your post.
    |
    | In the end I used 3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, 1.5 pounds of
    | minced meat,
    | an egg, salt, pepper and some chopped up mushrooms. The family liked
    | it but I found it personally lacking on the flavour side. Next time I
    | might also add some onions (or onion powder) too. I should really
    | look at what they put in
    | the non-low-carb recipes so I can copy to some degree.
    |
    | regards,
    | Ben

    Try adding some Heinz sugar-free ketchup.
    --
    Peter
    270/215/180
    Before/Current Pix:
    http://users.thelink.net/marengo/weightlosspix/weightlosspix.html

  6. try adding either some "seasoning salt" or some "Italian seasoning" with
    some grated parmesan cheese.
    garlic salt will also add some nice flavor as well.

    Eddie
    338/329/180

    "Ben" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Scionyx said:

    Where did you get your flaxmeal? If it's Bob's Red Mill, there should be
    info on the package about flour replacement. I also remember, dimly,
    something about flaxmeal and water making a paste that can be used as an


    egg

    Quoted message said:

    substitute.

    Yes - it's Bob's Red Mill. I checked out their web site after reading your
    post.

    In the end I used 3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, 1.5 pounds of minced meat,
    an egg, salt, pepper and some chopped up mushrooms. The family liked it but
    I
    found it personally lacking on the flavour side. Next time I might also add
    some onions (or onion powder) too. I should really look at what they put in
    the non-low-carb recipes so I can copy to some degree.

    regards,
    Ben

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.