Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Flat bar shifter/lever for cantilever

Started by Bill · · Last activity · 9 posts · 586 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 April 2004
Last activity
30 April 2004
Original author
Bill
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
586
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in back with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino
    26/36/46 triple w/105 derailleur in front. Which Shimano
    shifter/levers will work with the Shortys? Will I have to go
    to a separate lever and shifter set? Will I have to change
    my front derailleur?

    My hope is I can set up the bar with stem attached and then
    to change all I have to do is attach the stem thread and
    adjust the cables and roll out the door. Thanks, Bill

  2. In article <G3akc.2254$Xj6.32870@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in back with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino
    26/36/46 triple w/105 derailleur in front. Which Shimano
    shifter/levers will work with the Shortys? Will I have to
    go to a separate lever and shifter set? Will I have to
    change my front derailleur?

    Are you trying to get integrated shifters on your flat bars?
    I don't think that will work at all. If that's not what
    you're doing, then please explain further.

    Pretty much any brifters in Shimano's line from Tiagra on up
    would work fine with your setup on the drop bars; it's
    practically identical to what's on my tourer.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  3. Bill said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in back with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino
    26/36/46 triple w/105 derailleur in front. Which Shimano
    shifter/levers will work with the Shortys?

    There is no Shimano straight bar combined lever in 9-speed
    that is compatible with those calipers.

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have to go to a separate lever and shifter set?

    Yes. We have some unusually nice Ritchey brake levers
    on special:

    sheldonbrown.combrakes.html

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have to change my front derailleur?

    If you go with an indexed front shifter, there is no
    straight-bar unit that will index properly with the 105
    front derailer.

    You might want to consider GripShift for this application.

    Quoted message said:

    My hope is I can set up the bar with stem attached and
    then to change all I have to do is attach the stem thread
    and adjust the cables and roll out the door.

    Adjusting the cables will be quite time consuming. Might
    want to go with quick-release connectors for the gear
    cables. We've got some nice Rohloff QRs for this, see:
    sheldonbrown.comrohloff

    Note that this won't work if your bike's housing stops are
    braze-ons that encircle the cable, but if your bike has DT
    shifter bosses with bolt-on housing-stop adaptors, you can
    get a separate set of housing stop adaptors for each
    handlebar set, thus be able to swap out the whole system
    without needing to readjust your shift cables.

    If your frame has slotted cable stops for the rear brake,
    you can replace the Avid "link wire" with a traditional
    yoke and separate transverse cable. This would allow you
    to just unhook whole the brake cable with no need to
    readjust anything.

    Sheldon "Versatility" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes
    | against it, | but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at
    | anchor. | --Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------
    -------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-
    find parts shipped Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com
    sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  4. "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <G3akc.2254$Xj6.32870@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino 26/36/46 triple
    w/105 derailleur


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    front. Which Shimano shifter/levers will work with the
    Shortys? Will I


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to go to a separate lever and shifter set? Will I have
    to change my


    front

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    derailleur?

    Are you trying to get integrated shifters on your flat
    bars? I don't think that will work at all. If that's not
    what you're doing, then please explain further.

    Pretty much any brifters in Shimano's line from Tiagra on
    up would work fine with your setup on the drop bars; it's
    practically identical to what's on my tourer.


    I have drop bars now. I want to set up a flat bar
    configuration I can interchange at will. Integrated would be
    nice but I'll do separates if necessary. My concern is a
    brake lever that will work with the Avid Shorty cantilevers
    and ideally a shifter that will work with the 105 triple
    front derailleur.

  5. "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bill said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino 26/36/46 triple
    w/105 derailleur


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    front. Which Shimano shifter/levers will work with the
    Shortys?

    There is no Shimano straight bar combined lever in 9-speed
    that is compatible with those calipers.

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have to go to a separate lever and shifter set?

    Yes. We have some unusually nice Ritchey brake levers on
    special:

    sheldonbrown.combrakes.html

    Quoted message said:

    Will I have to change my front derailleur?

    If you go with an indexed front shifter, there is no straight-
    bar unit that will index properly with the 105 front
    derailer.

    You might want to consider GripShift for this application.

    Quoted message said:

    My hope is I can set up the bar with stem attached and
    then to change


    all I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have to do is attach the stem thread and adjust the
    cables and roll out


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    door.

    Adjusting the cables will be quite time consuming. Might
    want to go with quick-release connectors for the gear
    cables. We've got some nice Rohloff QRs for this, see:
    sheldonbrown.comrohloff

    Note that this won't work if your bike's housing stops are
    braze-ons that encircle the cable, but if your bike has DT
    shifter bosses with bolt-on housing-stop adaptors, you can
    get a separate set of housing stop adaptors for each
    handlebar set, thus be able to swap out the whole system
    without needing to readjust your shift cables.

    If your frame has slotted cable stops for the rear brake,
    you can replace the Avid "link wire" with a traditional
    yoke and separate transverse cable. This would allow you
    to just unhook whole the brake cable with no need to
    readjust anything.

    Sheldon "Versatility" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------
    ----------+

    Sheldon, thanks for the info. I would consider gripshift. I
    don't mind adjusting the cables. I'll leave the wires and
    front housing attached and just feed them through the rear
    and adjust. This is an occasional/experiment kind of a
    thing, which gripshift model would index the triple 105 in
    front and the 9 speed xt rear? Inexpensive low end is better
    for this application. Bill

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Bill said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in back with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino
    26/36/46 triple w/105 derailleur in front.

    I plied again:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you go with an indexed front shifter, there is no straight-
    bar unit that will index properly with the 105 front
    derailer.

    You might want to consider GripShift for this application.

    Sheldon, thanks for the info. I would consider gripshift.
    I don't mind adjusting the cables. I'll leave the wires
    and front housing attached and just feed them through the
    rear and adjust. This is an occasional/experiment kind of
    a thing, which gripshift model would index the triple 105
    in front and the 9 speed xt rear? Inexpensive low end is
    better for this application.

    harriscyclery.netpage.cfm

    The real low end models don't support 9-speed.

    Sheldon "Grifters" Brown +-----------------------------------
    +
    | Habit is the nursery of errors. | --Victor Hugo |
    +-----------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West
    Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped
    Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [flat bars]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You might want to consider GripShift for this
    application.

    Quoted message said:

    harriscyclery.netpage.cfm
    U=LD2680

    The real low end models don't support 9-speed.

    Sheldon "Grifters" Brown

    That should be "Grifteurs", in keeping with the "derailleur"
    and "brifteur" conventions.

    Frenchifying the language, one word at a time,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden]
    sfu.cawiredcola President, Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni Fan Club

  8. "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike. 9
    speed xt in back with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino
    26/36/46 triple w/105 derailleur in front. Which Shimano
    shifter/levers will work with the Shortys? Will I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    to go to a separate lever and shifter set? Will I have to
    change my front derailleur?

    My hope is I can set up the bar with stem attached and
    then to change all


    I

    Quoted message said:

    have to do is attach the stem thread and adjust the cables
    and roll out


    the

    Quoted message said:

    door. Thanks, Bill

    Nashbar has some Dia Compe cantilever brake levers pretty
    cheap ($14.95). See tinyurl.com3avl4. I've been
    using a similar Dia Compe set w/ cantilever brakes, and they
    work just fine.

    Da Vinci tandems also makes some nice cable splitters if you
    decide to go that route
    (davincitandems.comcomp.html).

  9. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <NObkc.1318$Ut1.35146@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Bill

    Quoted message said:

    "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <G3akc.2254$Xj6.32870@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to occasionally put flat bars on my cross bike.
    9 speed xt in


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. Sugino 26/36/46 triple
    w/105 derailleur


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    front. Which Shimano shifter/levers will work with the
    Shortys? Will I


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to go to a separate lever and shifter set? Will I have
    to change my


    front

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    derailleur?

    Are you trying to get integrated shifters on your flat
    bars? I don't think that will work at all. If that's not
    what you're doing, then please explain further.

    Pretty much any brifters in Shimano's line from Tiagra on
    up would work fine with your setup on the drop bars; it's
    practically identical to what's on my tourer.

    Quoted message said:

    I have drop bars now. I want to set up a flat bar
    configuration I can interchange at will. Integrated would
    be nice but I'll do separates if necessary. My concern is a
    brake lever that will work with the Avid Shorty cantilevers
    and ideally a shifter that will work with the 105 triple
    front derailleur.

    _ I've set this up on my Cross Check. Here's my parts lists.

    1. Cable splitter for the Deraillers cables. Look for this
    at a shop that deals with Tandem or SS coupler bikes.
    You'll need two sets ( $$ ).

    2. Extra saddles for Cantilevers. If your cantilevers don't
    have seperate straddle wires, convert them and get the
    saddles that just clip on the wire.

    3. Paul Thumbies ( cheap at bikeman.com right now ).

    4. Bar end shifter to go on Thumbies.

    ( For 3/4 you can use friction thumb shifters if you can
    find them. Old Deores are good. ).

    5. Really nice Ritchey Brake levers from Harris cyclery.
    These are setup for cantilevers, not V-brakes and look
    great to boot.

    sheldonbrown.combrakes.html

    6. Extra cables and housing. You'll likely need at least
    two shift cables to get the splitter right. That takes a
    fair bit of tweaking and you have to cut it to see if
    you got it right.

    _ With this setup I can switch bars in about 5 minutes or
    less. The good part about all this is that it requires no
    readjusting of brakes or shift cables. Once you get it all
    set up and working it's very fast to switch.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQJKhKWTWTAjn5N/lAQHA8AP+OwZSJ1XlHETNjf53J+GRbSsoKOo-
    AmVXj ZqTXZ04ElmcA5paXhad+uv6QwTBerUZhX53P4N8rJmPBrm0Hdy39z-
    8ZQEP9Jum5L q+8DLZ3MTYlJXfePi5yaFpCfyHHLZtRStkfwIL0fljQ1/xr-
    7Q2YBgWyULsTDnl/H 3w21bwLvYdg= =esuD -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.