Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

flat ATB bar in a road stem? 25.4 -> 26.0

Started by jasong · · Last activity · 6 posts · 678 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 September 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
jasong
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
678
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I´m going to put a flat bar on a cyclocross bike. I have several road stems with different lengths/angles, so don't want to invest in ATB stems if not necessary.

    Do people shim the 25.4 mm ATB bar to 26.0 mm? Drawbacks? Coke can approach good enough? Since rotation isn't as important as with a drop bar, that's in my favor.

    Since road stems are used on cross bikes with drop bars, it seems like the stem is normally strong enough for this type of riding.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!

  2. jasong said:


    I´m going to put a flat bar on a cyclocross bike. I have several road
    stems with different lengths/angles, so don't want to invest in ATB
    stems if not necessary.

    Do people shim the 25.4 mm ATB bar to 26.0 mm? Drawbacks? Coke can
    approach good enough? Since rotation isn't as important as with a drop
    bar, that's in my favor.

    Since road stems are used on cross bikes with drop bars, it seems like
    the stem is normally strong enough for this type of riding.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!

    Make or buy shims. Go ride.

    http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=417

    Most likely available in a local shop. I've used homemade shim
    material with varying luck. Never had a problem with the Nitto shims.
    Expensive for what they are, but it's nice to not worry about
    handlebars moving.

  3. Hi, thanks for your response.

    I think the point I was getting at was more, why do people that have both types of bikes, ATB & road, not just use all road stems? I have about 6 road stems I've bought from 60mm through 130mm, all bought very cheap ($10-20) and with varying angles. Why don't people just always buy the road stems instead of the ATB ones? Why not?

    It seems the ATB stems have much more serious angles to bring things more uprighjt, but inverting a road stem often achieves the same result.

    Dan Daniel said:

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:45:11 +1000, jasong
    Most likely available in a local shop. I've used homemade shim
    material with varying luck. Never had a problem with the Nitto shims.
    Expensive for what they are, but it's nice to not worry about
    handlebars moving.

  4. jasong said:


    I´m going to put a flat bar on a cyclocross bike. I have several road
    stems with different lengths/angles, so don't want to invest in ATB
    stems if not necessary.

    Do people shim the 25.4 mm ATB bar to 26.0 mm? Drawbacks? Coke can
    approach good enough? Since rotation isn't as important as with a drop
    bar, that's in my favor.

    Since road stems are used on cross bikes with drop bars, it seems like
    the stem is normally strong enough for this type of riding.

    Some road bike stems fit 25.4 bars to begin with. If yours takes 26.0
    and you don't want to shim, a road stem for the other size of bar
    should be easy enough to find.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. jasong said:

    I think the point I was getting at was more, why do people that have
    both types of bikes, ATB & road, not just use all road stems? I have
    about 6 road stems I've bought from 60mm through 130mm, all bought very
    cheap ($10-20) and with varying angles. Why don't people just always
    buy the road stems instead of the ATB ones? Why not?

    The slight mismatch in diameters might work okay for a while, but the
    deformation probably accelerates the fatigue failure of the bar (and
    maybe the stem).

    I wonder if 31.8mm stems will be just "stems"?

    For instance, Bontrager 31.8 stems don't say "ATB" or "road" like
    their 25.4 and 26.0 stems do.

    http://www.bontrager.com/stems/detail.asp?id=162&pt=11
    "Equally suited for mountain or road."

    http://www.bontrager.com/stems/detail.asp?id=161&pt=11
    "Equally suited for mountain or road."

    Even the carbon fiber stem (!) with 31.8 clamp:
    http://www.bontrager.com/stems/detail.asp?id=192&pt=11
    "For road and mountain use."

  6. jasong said:


    Hi, thanks for your response.

    I think the point I was getting at was more, why do people that have
    both types of bikes, ATB & road, not just use all road stems? I have
    about 6 road stems I've bought from 60mm through 130mm, all bought very
    cheap ($10-20) and with varying angles. Why don't people just always
    buy the road stems instead of the ATB ones? Why not?

    It seems the ATB stems have much more serious angles to bring things
    more uprighjt, but inverting a road stem often achieves the same
    result.

    I've found that ignoring the ATB or Road labels and simply paying
    attention to the handlebar diameter and desired angle and reach works
    for me.

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Daniel said:

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:45:11 +1000, jasong
    Most likely available in a local shop. I've used homemade shim
    material with varying luck. Never had a problem with the Nitto shims.
    Expensive for what they are, but it's nice to not worry about
    handlebars moving.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.